Author Topic: My latest article: tail bag review  (Read 4405 times)

Offline Barbarian

• Board Homesteader!
    • http://www.straightdope.com
My latest article: tail bag review
« on: September 17, 2007, 02:44:48 AM »
I don't think I've mentioned this to many people, but I get paid to sit on my duff and write for a living. Therefore I have a yen to point you all toward my most recent article, about the Rapid Transit Recon 23 Tail Bag.
Enjoy!
2006 650 Bandit S w/ABS

Offline ZenMan

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2007, 10:40:44 AM »
And you do it here for free!  :wink:  

Good write-up. I like the bag, I'm a big fan of soft luggage, vs. those huge, bulky hardcases. Too bad I already have a matching set of softies w/tailbag.

It looks like it would make a good tank-bag, too, though a bit large. The fact that a helmet doesn't fit in it isn't a concern for me, I use my helmet locks and/or take it with me. This "standard rule" that all luggage should hold a helmet is why most luggage is too damn big... but then, I'm a minimalist, I guess.  :bandit:
"Hmmm... near certainty of death with little chance of success... what are we waiting for?"

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2007, 02:51:02 PM »
Nice looking bag! (Except for those hooks!)

From your pics, it looks like the rear hooks still contact the grab rail. Is that right?
Seems like that style of hook is popular with the bag makers these days, though I don't like 'em. I wonder what bikes find those hooks 'good'? Seems like they're wrong for most of the bikes I've looked at - which admittedly leaves out the cruiser sector.

I like the bungee loops & removeable hooks (which are removed in my case) on my ugly, old Wolfman bag a lot better!
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline JamieK

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2007, 02:58:22 PM »
Thanks for posting that. I have an old JR tail bag that did a real number on the paint on the tail section...think I may pick up one of those Recons :grin:
Jamie K in Edmonton<br />06 B12S, Full Muzzy, Stage 1 jets, Timing Advancer

Offline Barbarian

• Board Homesteader!
    • http://www.straightdope.com
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2007, 11:25:18 AM »
Glad you liked reading it.

ZenMan, Rapid Transit does have a number of tank bags, which you can check out here. My next article (which I should get back to finishing up) is about my Ixon tank bag, so I'll keep you posted on that.

Red01 the top of the hooks do touch the grab rail, but there's no rubbing or wear and tear, especially compared to  when I looped the cords around the rail. Ideally the hooks would be smaller, more in line with the actual size of a spool... but that's why the plumbing aisle exists.
2006 650 Bandit S w/ABS

Offline ZenMan

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2007, 02:42:51 PM »
Thanks, Barbarian... they have some nice stuff there, I like the frame-mount side bags too.  :wink:
"Hmmm... near certainty of death with little chance of success... what are we waiting for?"

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2007, 02:48:30 PM »
My son has the Recon 19 and he likes it a lot.
After seeing him use it for a while, my only concern is the "ears' on each side with the magnets that hold it down seem a little short. He hasn't complained of it coming off or moving, but it doesn't look nearly as secure as my Joe Rocket Sport bag does.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)