Author Topic: cramp busters  (Read 4256 times)

Offline Denverbandit99

• TURBO TYPER!
cramp busters
« on: September 22, 2005, 08:44:26 PM »
has anyone used cramp busters or any kind of product like it? impressions? I'm talking about the things you put around your handlebars to rest your wrists on, to clear up any confusion.

Offline Tundrahog

• Board Homesteader!
cramp busters
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2005, 09:08:59 PM »
I have a "throttle rocker".  The idea is good, and it is helpful on long stretches of four-lane.  However, I found that if it was properly adjusted for highway use, it would tend to get in the way in stop and go situations.  It also had a tendency to gradually spin out of position if it was not on tight enough.

I think I paid 10-15 bucks for it, worth it for the small amount of freeway riding I do.  If you are doing some serious touring think about a throttle lock/cruise control.
Jon

2004 Suzi B12

Offline Denverbandit99

• TURBO TYPER!
cramp busters
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2005, 09:23:24 PM »
thanks Jon. Ok, next question: is there a cruise control that isn't just a throttle lock? one, for instance, that will turn off when the brake is applied, or
do they all have to be manually turned off? That just seems unsafe to me, especially for someone who is not used to having to turn it off when you need to stop fast.

Offline wndrr

• TURBO TYPER!
cramp busters
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2005, 09:32:59 PM »
All the ones that I have used only clamp the throttle you can still turn it back and forth with your wrist or flip it off with your thumb I never ever had any problems with slowing down or stopping with one. And I have used them on around 4 or five bikes over the years :motorsmile:
97 B12
84 Shadow 700

Offline billster

• Board Homesteader!
    • http://www.bikepics.com/members/billst/03gsf1200/
cramp busters
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2005, 09:57:31 PM »
Maynard G. Krebbs!!!!!!  :banana:   :banana:   :banana:

Had one of those throttle locks on my Gold Wing years ago and the thing really worked well on those loooonnnngggg days of covering wide open interstate.  Had a lever you flipped up and down to engage the 'squeeze' ring around the throttle tube.

Bill
The older I get, the better I was.

'03 B12N
'77 R100S
'78 XS650 (project underway)
'74 CL200

Offline Desolation Angel

• Board Homesteader!
cramp busters
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2005, 10:19:22 PM »
Cramp Buster is narrower than some similar items, like Throttle Rocker, so doesn't get in the way really if you put it as far as possible to the right.  It got in my way a couple of times early on, but if you leave it on all the time you get used to it being there without thinking about it.  I took it off once...felt REALLY weird without it.

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
cramp busters
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2005, 04:15:49 AM »
I've got the old-style, strap-free, Throttle Rocker (which is still available from sources outside the US). I love mine! I've got a throttle lock too and if I had to give up one, it would be the throttle lock. A throttle lock doesn't do much for you unless you're riding on flat roads, so I get very little use out of mine. (I haven't used the lock once this year.)

There are electronic cruise controls for motorcycles and IIRC, there's even a website(s) devoted to adapting a universal automotive accessory cruise control to m/c use.

JMHO, but when it's time to put an electronic cruise control on my bike, it's time to get a bike that comes with one as factory equipment (ie Goldwing, BMW LT, etc.).
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)