Author Topic: Michelin Pilot Power  (Read 14561 times)

Offline solman

• Board Homesteader!
Michelin Pilot Power
« on: September 19, 2008, 01:03:54 AM »
I just threw a PP on the rear and wow, what a difference.  I am so impressed with the handling and traction.  I have a similar sport tire on the front to go with it, but I am going to replace with with a PP on the next change.  I am seriously impressed with it and never knew what I was missing out on.  If you ride aggressive, this is an excellent tire choice for the Bandit.
03 Naked Bandit 1200 <br />Vitamin B12, its great for the soul!

Offline txbanditrydr

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
Re: Michelin Pilot Power
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2008, 10:32:55 AM »
Confidence inspiring, ain't it!!!!  Just make sure you bring them up to temp before any serious lean angles.  The turn-in rate is a little unsettling at first but you quickly get used to it.  I love 'em - that's all I run in the twisties if at all possible. 

I have a spare wheel that I keep a Shinko 009 mounted - great for commuting to work during the week - then 10 minutes later I've got the good stuff on.   :thumb:

My last PP saw nearly 4,300 miles - mind you, the last 500 or so wouldn't have been ridden far from home or in the wet.  Again - Great choice for the Bandit.
'01 B600S ... sold
'05 B1200S ... Top 20 mods... #20 through #2 - All The Usual Ones, Yada, Yada  & #1... 150,000+ Miles and Counting!!!!

Offline bikeb4cage

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2008, 12:19:53 PM »
Met a Bandit rider at the Gap a few weeks ago.  He swore by the PP's on the Bandit.  I mentioned I was considering the Road 2CT for next time (currently have the original Roads, and expect to get 7000 miles out of the rear time - has been a good tire, but not great feedback in the twisties).  He said he ran the 2CT's on the Bandit for a 1000 miles and did not like - switched to the PP and loves 'em.

Jay
2001 B12N

Offline Mongo

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2008, 12:17:27 AM »
I've been runing the Power 2 CT's and love them just a little short on tread wear. I'm getting ready to spring for another one got and about 3500 miles on this one I was thinking about the Road 2's next run?
02 1200 Fighter
Do chickens fly? Yea and a Hell of a lot faster than reindeer!!!!

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2008, 04:05:44 PM »
I can't comment on the stickier tires like the Powers cuz I've always run higher mileage tires.  My stock Macadam 90X crap were replaced with a Bridgestone BT010 front,  BT020 rear, which was an improvement (lasted ~10,000 miles).  Then went with the original Roads for three rears (~10,000 miles each) and two fronts (~15,000 miles each).  Recently replaced the Road 1's with 2's and I've been very happy with the new Road 2's.  My only hope is they have a service life as good as the 1's.

I'm sure I'd love stickier tires, but the Scotsman in me is too cheap to be buying tires every 3500 miles - which would be 2-3 sets of tires every year.  Since I've never known anything better, the Road 2's are great and I'm liking them a lot - especially in the wet where they've been very confidence inspiring!
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline dhcolesj

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2008, 01:50:52 AM »
+1 on the Pilot Road 2's.  I've been running mine for about 2100 miles now, and they look very good.  They've also stayed under me where they should in the rain, and didn't do the slick wiggle like the stock treads did.
See Ya'
Howard Coles Jr.
John 3:16!

'08 1250S Bandit

Offline Ga-Bandit

• Board Regular!
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2008, 04:25:08 PM »
I've got the Power Pilot 2CT (two compound tire) - middle is for highway, sides are for twisties. They look great with 1k front and 3k rear. My stock rear was replaced under warranty and the front only lasted 6k. BTW: They handle like a dream but I'll post again after a couple of months. My bike is 4 months old and I got almost 8k miles with about 3.5k in the twisties.

Offline StangMATA

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2008, 11:15:37 AM »
I run the PP 2CT's and love them! They wear kinda fast if you are really crankin on them (3,000miles out of my last rear) but they are worth it!
Ian<br />USAF<br />2003 Silver Bandit 1200s<br />D&D slip-on. Busa Shock. Mostly Stock <br/> www.BuckNakedOffroad.com

Offline solman

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2009, 12:10:11 AM »
I ended up going thru the PP pretty quick.  It didn't last quite as long as everyone was trying to tell me.  They stuck great, but was quite disapointed on how long they lasted me.  I will start a new thread on the Roads.
03 Naked Bandit 1200 <br />Vitamin B12, its great for the soul!

Offline Down Under

• Board Regular!
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2009, 06:04:50 AM »
The PP's are a great tyre for sport riding but I was disappointed with their relatively short life on my B1250.  They also aren't the greatest tyre in the wet.  I still find the PR 2's the best compromise, for road riding they offer plenty of grip but what impresses me the most is the mileage I'm getting out of them!  :thumb: 

Offline GETFURIOUS

• CAPS LOCK IS STUCK
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2009, 10:25:55 AM »
I can't comment on the stickier tires like the Powers cuz I've always run higher mileage tires.  My stock Macadam 90X crap were replaced with a Bridgestone BT010 front,  BT020 rear, which was an improvement (lasted ~10,000 miles).  Then went with the original Roads for three rears (~10,000 miles each) and two fronts (~15,000 miles each).  Recently replaced the Road 1's with 2's and I've been very happy with the new Road 2's.  My only hope is they have a service life as good as the 1's.

I'm sure I'd love stickier tires, but the Scotsman in me is too cheap to be buying tires every 3500 miles - which would be 2-3 sets of tires every year.  Since I've never known anything better, the Road 2's are great and I'm liking them a lot - especially in the wet where they've been very confidence inspiring!
SO HOW ARE THE BRIDGESTONE'S AND THE ROAD'S IN THE TWISTIES?....

I HAVE PILOT POWERS ON MY BIKE.....AND I LIKE THEM.....

AND YES THE MILEAGE IS NO WHERE NEAR WHAT RED01 IS GETTING.....

BUT THEY ARE SO GOOD IN THE TWISTIES.....AND BETTER THAN EXPECTED IN THE RAIN.....

I WILL BE REPLACING THEM WITH A SET OF THE PILOT POWER 2CT'S AROUND MAY OR JUNE.....

MY SON RUNS THE PILOT POWER 2CT'S ON HIS ZX10R.....AND HE LOVES THEM.....

I WILL GIVE MY OPINION IN THE LATE SUMMER.....
2001 BANDIT 1200S - MY DOCTOR ALWAYS SAYS, TAKE A SHOT OF B-12 AND CALL ME IN THE MORNING!  I LOVE MY DOCTOR!

W-T-B - AFTERMARKET CHROME/POLISHED WHEELS-LIKE THESE-http://www.exoticsportbike.com/star2.htm

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2009, 07:22:40 PM »

SO HOW ARE THE BRIDGESTONE'S AND THE ROAD'S IN THE TWISTIES?...

IMHO, the BT010/020 combo was better in the twisties than the PR-1's, but the difference wasn't huge.  I didn't like how the 010 started cupping towards the end (but nowhere near what the old 90X did!). The PR-2's are better than either one at everything.  Errr... well, the longevity is still an unknown for me, but if they run close to what I got out of either of the those earlier two, I'll be delighted.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)