Author Topic: Bandit Seat - So Bad  (Read 9084 times)

Offline gyrogearcrunch

• Board Homesteader!
Russell Seats
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2007, 01:16:49 AM »
Quote from: "Shastarider"
Russell Day Long.  Cant say enough good things about it.  What they do is take your original seat/pan and custom it to thier design.  Some do not like the looks.  I could care less.  For me it is about how stuff works/performs.  I dont stop riding because my ass hurts.  The absolute best way to do it is you go there and get custom fitted.  When I brought my bike up, I learned they have literally turned just about any saddle into a Russell.  That included Corbin, etc.

Org! That's a bit far for me to go for a personal butt-fitting (I live in FL). Is there a shop in the South-east that does Russell seats?

I ran a stock seat for 3 years until I did a 600-mile day, then I bought the Suzuki gel seat. I was hoping for a lot more than I got (sigh!). Things got a little better after I replaced the handlebars with a taller, more pulled-back set. This leads me to believe that the stretch needed to reach the stock handlebars is partly responsible for the nut-crunching against the tank. A second thing could be the SLOPE of the seat - maybe raising the front of the seat or scooping out the area below the butt-stop would help. I put a pair of folding footpegs on the case-protectors just to see if this helped. Well, it did because it provides me a wonderful change of position on the seat. And when I poke my knees out, there's a nice breeze into the crotch area.

Maybe I'll get it right one of these days.

Herb

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
Bandit Seat - So Bad
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2007, 11:00:26 AM »
I don't know if Russell has a Florida outlet, but Corbin will do custom fittings in either their CA or FL shops. Here's the info for Corbin, Florida:

Corbin Saddles
1433 North US HWY 1
Ormond Beach, FL 32174
Ormond Phone: 386-615-1205  
Ormond Fax: 386-615-1202  
E-Mail: daytona@corbin.com

Regular shop hours:
Monday - Friday   9:00am - 5:30pm
Saturdays   9:00am - 5:30pm
Sunday   9:00am - 5:30pm

And for Californians following this thread, their CA store info:

Corbin
2360 Technology Parkway
Hollister, CA 95023
CA Tel: 831-634-1100 Tel
CA Fax:  831-634-1059
CA Toll Free:  800-538-7035
Click here to "email" the CA store

Regular shop hours:
Monday - Friday        7:00am - 3:30pm
Saturdays (Showroom)         8:00am - 3:30
Saturdays (Ride Ins)         8:00am - Noon
Sunday         Closed
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline CWO4GUNNER

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • GUNNER G. CWO4 WEPS USCG Retired
Bandit Seat - So Bad
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2007, 12:54:10 PM »
The 05 B12 seat isn't any better and I have been experimenting with gel seat cushions on the top which work very well. Only problem is that placing anything on top adds to seat hight, changing bar riser effectiveness. Since I have expirence re-foaming and installing seat covers on dirt bikes which is easy once you done one, I plan to purchase raw 3/4 inch gel cushion material on eBay for $50 and install and recess it into the existing foam padding so there is no change in seat hight or appearance. I may even change the cover material to off road black gripper material designed to keep you on the saddle no matter how wet or slippery you are. I post the pictures when I do it.

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
Bandit Seat - So Bad
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2007, 02:59:45 PM »
Quote from: "CWO4GUNNER"
I may even change the cover material to off road black gripper material designed to keep you on the saddle no matter how wet or slippery you are. I post the pictures when I do it.

One of the complaints some people have about Corbin seats is they feel the fabric grips, making it difficult to slide around on the seat, especially in twisties that quickly transition for one direction to the other. Hasn't bothered me since I don't do much hanging off.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline CWO4GUNNER

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Bandit Seat - So Bad
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2007, 05:34:40 PM »
I understand that, its just a difference in culture and ride style. I was raised on dirt bikes since age 10 and didn't seriously ride street until I was 22, now 49. Consequently I ride and react differently then most street riders, using the rear wheel to steer by using my body to maneuver the bike in many situations, especially potential collisions or drops. In order to do this I have to be able to apply leverage to the seat. One example I gave in an earlier post was when I was about to T-bone a car on the freeway that had flea-flicked across my split lane. My dirt bike brain immediately slowed the entire situation down into nanoseconds going through multipal scenarios to beast deal with the impending crash. Almost by instinct I locked up the real wheel deliberately (why ASB is not good), then using my thighs griped the slippery seat and swung the the rear end of the bike as far as I could without striking the cars on either end and struck the car at almost the same angle it was crossing the lane, dispersing the impact over a broader area causing the car to bounce me and the bike off to the left shoulder at which point I was in a bad high speed wobble I managed to recovered from, badly bruised with missing turn signals and a bent foot beg. Sorry I digressed.

Quote from: "Red01"
I may even change the cover material to off road black gripper material designed to keep you on the saddle no matter how wet or slippery you are. I post the pictures when I do it.

One of the complaints some people have about Corbin seats is they feel the fabric grips, making it difficult to slide around on the seat, especially in twisties that quickly transition for one direction to the other. Hasn't bothered me since I don't do much hanging off.

Offline Ranger

• Board Homesteader!
  • Resident Felon
Bandit Seat - So Bad
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2007, 08:47:32 PM »
:beers:
Note to self: Leave no witnesses

Offline Old_n_Slow

• Board Homesteader!
Bandit Seat - So Bad
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2007, 10:30:43 PM »
Quote from: "Red01"

I found exactly the opposite with mine, the Corbin having a smoothe and slick surface compared to the stocker. The difficulty of hanging off comes from the dished design of the seat. If you go to hang off, the shape of the seat will actually put you out rather than down, keeping the center of gravity higher than you expect. The result can give you a major case of the big eyes if you're not ready for it.
2009 KLR 650
2006 ST 1300

"you live and learn, or you don't live long"

Offline CWO4GUNNER

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Bandit Seat - So Bad
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2007, 01:03:43 PM »
One thing I never got the hang of is hanging off or knee dragging. All that off road programming just wont let me do it, although I know its effective and don't even try and keep up with those guys on mountain roads.
   But I can hit the X out of a target at 600 yards.

Quote from: "Old_n_Slow"

I found exactly the opposite with mine, the Corbin having a smoothe and slick surface compared to the stocker. The difficulty of hanging off comes from the dished design of the seat. If you go to hang off, the shape of the seat will actually put you out rather than down, keeping the center of gravity higher than you expect. The result can give you a major case of the big eyes if you're not ready for it.