Author Topic: Nolan N102  (Read 4317 times)

Offline GaryB12VA

• Board Homesteader!
Nolan N102
« on: July 31, 2006, 01:47:54 PM »
Been considering a Nolan N102 modular (flip-up) helmet. Anyone have one these or have any experience with them?
'06 FJR 1300A

"The person who says it can't be done shouldn't interrupt the person who is doing it"

Offline Mohan

• New user!
Nolan N102
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2006, 12:34:20 AM »
I was looking at these myself but chickened out. Not keen on the plastic clip instead of D ring and years ago had a fullface helmet split in 1/2 right down the middle of the chin piece so a bit nervous on that, I haven't heard from anyone how the flip fronts have performed in a crash. Plus their $600 here in Kiwiland. However that said I will probably lean towards one next time, it must be so much less hassle with my glasses.

Offline terrebandit

• Board Homesteader!
    • Daves Bandit Group
Nolan N102
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2006, 08:27:30 PM »
Nolans flip-ups are excellent.  Best helmet I've ever had in 30+ years of street riding.  Nuf said.

They are DOT rated and just as safe as any other DOT rated helmet.  Flip-ups and full face helmets are tested in the same manner.  DOT helmets are also better (safer) than SNELL rated helmets for the "average" rider.  DOT helmets will protect your noggin better than SNELL rated helmets in the most typical head/helmet impacts experienced in street riding.   Do your research before you buy.  The most expensive helmets are not always better!  In fact, they can be worse in some cases.

Dave
My Bandit(s) -click here  >={{{*>
2000 B12S "Good Ole Bob"
____ o7o____o7o ___Ride Safe!

Offline solman

• Board Homesteader!
Nolan N102
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2006, 11:27:32 PM »
Quote from: terrebandit
Nolans flip-ups are excellent.  Best helmet I've ever had in 30+ years of street riding.  Nuf said.

They are DOT rated and just as safe as any other DOT rated helmet.  Flip-ups and full face helmets are tested in the same manner.  DOT helmets are also better (safer) than SNELL rated helmets for the "average" rider.  DOT helmets will protect your noggin better than SNELL rated helmets in the most typical head/helmet impacts experienced in street riding.   Do your research before you buy.  The most expensive helmets are not always better!  In fact, they can be worse in some cases.

Dave

How can you say that a helmet is just as safe if it has never been tested?  I read an article on SNELL and DOT and found out that one rating is not better than the other.  They both check helmets checking for different things.  I don't remember the details, but between having DOT and SNELL rate it, you are good to go.  I haven't heard of any flip helmets that have been SNELL rated yet.  I have heard that they won't submit their helmets for testing because they might fail and then they will get a bad name.
03 Naked Bandit 1200 <br />Vitamin B12, its great for the soul!

Offline terrebandit

• Board Homesteader!
    • Daves Bandit Group
Nolan N102
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2006, 12:07:07 AM »
You are correct is saying that these tests check for different things... SNELL rated helmets are made to be harder and consequently provide less cushion to your skull when you smack the pavement BUT they do protect you better from objects/projectiles (like guardrails maybe) trying to poke into your helmet during a crash.  Thats the fundamental difference between these two tests.  

Personally, I want the helmet (a softer one) that absorbs the most shock energy possible on impact and a DOT rated helmet does that better than a SNELL rated helmet.  Most head-injuries on MC are due to a blunt impacts rather than from object penetration.

Anyway, thats what the experts said in a very detailed article that I read recently.  I am not an expert and have not tested these helmets myself.  I do believe good data and the article I read had plenty of that.

Dave
My Bandit(s) -click here  >={{{*>
2000 B12S "Good Ole Bob"
____ o7o____o7o ___Ride Safe!

Offline fritobandito

• Board Homesteader!
Nolan
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2006, 01:59:27 PM »
I realize this is being posted quite late, but I'll go ahead and share my opinion. I have a Nolan N100 flip-up. I absolutely love it! Give me the quick connect chin strap over a "d"ring any day of the week. Much easier to get in and out of and deal with sunglasses or perscription glasses. Only drawback is that there's no way to attach it to your helmet lock on the bike. There's no issue with air leakage or any such nonsense. It's also nice to be able to flip the thing up for a good burst of air at a long stop light on warm days. In my mind, the positives far outweigh the negatives. That's my 2 cents. Thanks for reading. :bigok:
Christ is Lord!