Author Topic: Seats! Was there a poll/survey on which is over all best????  (Read 5887 times)

Offline Daytona

• Board Homesteader!
Seats! Was there a poll/survey on which is over all best????
« on: October 08, 2005, 12:05:56 PM »
98 B12 Had the zuki Gel, lots of blowing sand/dirt @ slave pit, seat cover was hard to clean. Got a stock vinyl covered seat now,easy to keep clean & OK on the comfort, but I hear about the corbin making B12 owners wishing they got one sooner! Are they as good as i hear? If so what model Gunfighter W/lady or with out? Any Others? The gun can be had for 3 bills now, add the lady and its +1. I can get a 10% discount here during biktoberfest @ the corbin store! YEA or NEA

Offline PeteSC

• Board Homesteader!
    • SouthChinaLady
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2005, 01:57:41 PM »
Since you're in Daytona, Sargent in JAx usually runs an off season discount, also.     There ain't no universal  'best' seat.     :wink:
Spartanburg, SC
'99 Bandit 1200
'03 DR650
I'm really a very hot, sexy,lesbian, trapped in this fat, middle-aged, male body......

Offline Old_n_Slow

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2005, 06:26:19 PM »
I just put a Corbin gunfighter and lady with back-rest on the 1200S and the difference is very noticeable. The Corbin feels hard as a rock when you first sit on it and it's a little wider than stock, you'll notice that the first time you put your feet down. I was told to give it a 1000 miles before passing judgment but I don't have to wait that long. Last week, I took a 300 mile Sundeay run with the local club and at 100 miles, I still wasn't sure. I wasn't sore, but I wasn't sure. At 200 miles I still wasn't sore but I also I knew that if I was on the stock seat I'd really be squirming by now. At 300 miles, still no pain, still in the comfort zone, and totally sold on the Corbin.

Tomorrow the Mrs and I are doing a 250 mile run, I'll let you know how we both hold up. So far, she really likes the back rest but we haven't put any real miles on the seat as a tandem yet.
2009 KLR 650
2006 ST 1300

"you live and learn, or you don't live long"

Offline Daytona

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2005, 06:41:35 PM »
Quote from: "Old_n_Slow"
I just put a Corbin gunfighter and lady with back-rest on the 1200S and the difference is very noticeable. The Corbin feels hard as a rock when you first sit on it and it's a little wider than stock, you'll notice that the first time you put your feet down. I was told to give it a 1000 miles before passing judgment but I don't have to wait that long. Last week, I took a 300 mile Sundeay run with the local club and at 100 miles, I still wasn't sure. I wasn't sore, but I wasn't sure. At 200 miles I still wasn't sore but I also I knew that if I was on the stock seat I'd really be squirming by now. At 300 miles, still no pain, still in the comfort zone, and totally sold on the Corbin.

Tomorrow the Mrs and I are doing a 250 mile run, I'll let you know how we both hold up. So far, she really likes the back rest but we haven't put any real miles on the seat as a tandem yet.
         Hi bucks! but worth it to be able to ride that far. 2nd gen are better priced i see, from corbin. one other thing kinda off the topic, i envy you if you have a club too do those rides. Weather getting to where we will be the envy of those in the crooked roads of those cool hills. Have great trip! Thanks for the info.    :motorsmile:

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2005, 07:55:09 PM »
I love mine. If you're gonna carry a passenger and you care about their comfort, get the "& Lady" version. If you go solo, then the plain Gunfighter - or the Smuggler.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline Old_n_Slow

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2005, 07:24:05 PM »
Back from the tandem run on the new gunfighter and lady.......ouch!

We had to make repeated stops every 30 minutes or so, both of us kept developing numb butt. HOWEVER, the Mrs noted that there were no pressure spots with this seat as there are with the stocker, and after we'd stopped for 3 minutes or so she was good for another 30. This wasn't the case with the stock seat, climbing back on the original seat after a "butt break" produced instant discomfort. My problem was more with the ergos of the bike, the passenger pegs put mom's legs in a position where I couldn't move side to side, locking me into only forward and backward adjustment by a few inches while riding. The only way to relieve a numbed spot was to try to stand, which actually helped a little but is unacceptable when you're trying to knock off some miles. So, yes the Corbin is still better than stock but might not be the final answer for how we ride, at least not yet. Maybe tandem riding will have to run the full 1,000 mile test.
2009 KLR 650
2006 ST 1300

Offline Daytona

• Board Homesteader!
Hey It just got delivered by fedX!!!
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2005, 01:28:32 PM »
Hey It just got delivered by fedX!!! I got the gunfighter cause the Boss won't ride with me anyway! So will be riding on it to the pit today! Keep the post up, i wish i had a reason to ride for more than 30 min! Will be @ the zuki dealer in Deland this sat, so hope to meet up with other Bandit or just other bike riders. By the way i read where folks were saying about their products they use for cleaning/ waxing their bikes! Remember the clear coat is the life of about all paint finishes these days! If you are interested i work in as bad a conditions for a paint finish that can be! Lots of blowing silica that will even scratch glass! A quick blow off with air and drench with plain old armoral  cut 50/50 with H2o and don't touch it till it gets sticky dry, then buff with a cloth. Works great on all stuff on the Bandit, plastic,vinyl, aluminum, paint, rubber, it will desolve bug guts and will make your header pipes,or chrome as bright as any polish.   Don't get it on your brake rotors etc! it will make the brakes nill for a few miles[/size]. My 98 has never seen wax, has 35k on the odometer, i get told all the time it looks like a new one! with little effort i have maintained all my stuff with the Po man's cleaner polisher and have always had better than average looking cars etc when selling or trading. [/b][/i][/color] :blah: A pic of my new seat and bike she isn't bad for a commuter!   Hey click the on link or pic, but its big so beware if you have dial up!!!! Hey is this a heck of a world or what? With stuff like this pic hosting anything is possible, what a great pic with my cheap camera, check out my 7k mile stinkoe's (tires) my rebar guards, and my new seat!! rite down to the stitching! More Rodney King's to come with this stuff from anywhere! U never know who's watching?? Hey Pete which Forum should this be in???   :stfu:

http://img38.imageshack.us/my.php?image=picture0058zz.jpg

Offline Desolation Angel

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2005, 02:37:52 PM »
Sargent has had my seat since last Thursday.  I can't wait to get it back.  I've got them adding their Super Cell foam.  Not to mention the new vinyl and colors.  I predict comfortable riding really soon! :grin:  :grin:

http://www.sargentcycle.com/custserv.htm

Offline Daytona

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2005, 02:46:46 PM »
Quote from: "Desolation Angel"
Sargent has had my seat since last Thursday.  I can't wait to get it back.  I've got them adding their Super Cell foam.  Not to mention the new vinyl and colors.  I predict comfortable riding really soon! :grin:  :grin:

Hey if you make a wrong turn and find yourself in Deland FL C ya @ the zuki dealer this 11/5!   :motorsmile: Not a chance Hu??? :annoy:

Offline Desolation Angel

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2005, 03:29:08 PM »
Quote from: "daytona"
Quote from: "Desolation Angel"

Hey if you make a wrong turn and find yourself in Deland FL C ya @ the zuki dealer this 11/5!   :motorsmile: Not a chance Hu??? :annoy:

I found myself in Orlando once. :grin:

Offline WEINERDOGBONE

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2005, 11:13:11 AM »
I have said this before but, I had a gunfighter and lady on my B12 for about 3 months. I bought it for the backrest. My daughter used to like to ride with me before she became a teenager. She hates everyone now but, I digress.

I hated that Corbin seat. You couldn't give me another. I have a Factory gel seat that I picked up off the BBS and I am very pleased with it. Just my $.02.

Offline Daytona

• Board Homesteader!
First 50 miles!???
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2005, 01:46:36 PM »
Hey just thought? I'd add something to? Increase my total posts, add some pertinent info, cause I'm killing time before i got to go to work and its not time too? All the above! The seat, good stuff so far. Its a seat that i chose, its much better looking than the stock one, it sits you lower for less wind resistance, it makes my Bandit unique so its my bike not like all the others, i wanted something new and thought i deserved it after going thru all the doc ordered medical test aggravation that comes with the magic # 50+ , did i say its a seat that I chose!! Bad stuff so far. The ridge of the saddle area is a bit bothering to the back of your upper leg when your feet are on the ground, (this can be rounded if you order it that way, i wish i had) The Corbin comfort cell material is so hard you feel all the little jarring bumps in the road @ low speeds, its going to bother me more when it gets caught out in the rain etc, much more desirable item to be stolen! Did i mention that i just had to have it and its a Corbin?? The stock vinyl seat is about as perfect a all around great seat as this versatile bike can use! Maybe i bought it as a gift to her for being such a trustworthy good thing in my life? Is that Bling? Also the old girl runs better on Regular 87 than on 89/91/93 octane. Better idle,throttle response, and the same mpg. Remember compression ratio can be changed by as little a thing as the type plugs used, air temp & density, how much air your filter is letting thru! Anyone buying anything other than reg is just buying a Corbin when the other is just fine!!   :beers:  :motorsmile:

Offline Old_n_Slow

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2005, 06:35:49 PM »
Like I said earlier, a Corbin does feel hard as a rock. But before you give it up, take a long ride on your bike, and I mean at least 200 plus miles, then you'll see (or feel) the Corbin philosophy at work. For distance, the stocker gets creamed by the Corbin. BUT...I picked up an extra seat bracket and screws for my stock seat so that I now can change seats quickly depending on my ride. If I'm just running around town or visiting local spots I use the stocker, and if I'm going on a club ride or longer trip I pop on the Corbin. So far, that's been the ticket for me.
2009 KLR 650
2006 ST 1300

Offline flip

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2005, 07:49:15 PM »
I just got a new gel seat off of Ebay. I haven't had a chance to test it out yet. I measured from the ground to top of the middle of the drivers part of the seat and the gel seat is 2 1/4 inches taller than my Corbin seat. The gel seat is considerably softer than the Corbin so after my weight compresses the seat, there may not be much effective difference in heights.