Author Topic: Cruise Control Devices ?  (Read 18607 times)

Offline Grissom

• TURBO TYPER!
Cruise Control Devices ?
« on: June 29, 2007, 10:55:18 AM »
What type of "Throttle locK" or cruise control type devices are you guys using ?  :motorsmile:

Offline txbanditrydr

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
Cruise Control Devices ?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2007, 12:08:25 PM »
Throttle-Meister here... although not a true "cruise control" rather a throttle lock.  Pricey but worth it and reduces the bar buzz.
'01 B600S ... sold
'05 B1200S ... Top 20 mods... #20 through #2 - All The Usual Ones, Yada, Yada  & #1... 150,000+ Miles and Counting!!!!

Offline Grissom

• TURBO TYPER!
Cruise Control Devices ?
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2007, 02:02:45 PM »
Quote from: "txbanditrydr"
Throttle-Meister here... although not a true "cruise control" rather a throttle lock.  Pricey but worth it and reduces the bar buzz.

I have been looking at them, are you using the std. or heavy version? Are you able to set it with one hand?

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
Cruise Control Devices ?
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2007, 03:01:06 PM »
I've got the TM standard version. I can set it with one hand. I do think something like the Vista-Cruise or NEP throttle locks would be easier to set - and a lot cheaper.

I find I don't use it as much as I thought I would though. Not enough flat ground with consistant speed traffic around here to get much chance to ever lock the throttle for long. I find I get a lot more use out of my Throttle Rocker (old-style - before they went to the velcro setup).
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline txbanditrydr

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
Cruise Control Devices ?
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2007, 03:32:28 PM »
Quote from: "Grissom"
I have been looking at them, are you using the std. or heavy version? Are you able to set it with one hand?

Standard version here.... very easy to install and clean appearance plus you retain the entire width of your grip.

I'm not real good at quickly setting it with one hand but a couple of twists with the outside palm will get it there.  I usually just reach around with the left hand and give it a twist - looks funny but it's quicker for me.

I don't use it a lot but really appreciate having it when the time is right.  I junked my Throttle Rocker - too many opportunities for bad stuff to happen IMHO.  I did learn to rotate the Rocker forward out of the way when not in use... way safer that way.
'01 B600S ... sold
'05 B1200S ... Top 20 mods... #20 through #2 - All The Usual Ones, Yada, Yada  & #1... 150,000+ Miles and Counting!!!!

Offline ZenMan

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
"Hmmm... near certainty of death with little chance of success... what are we waiting for?"

Offline Grissom

• TURBO TYPER!
Cruise Control Devices ?
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2007, 04:44:18 PM »
Quote from: "ZenMan"
http://forums.banditalley.net/viewtopic.php?t=8836

For those that have tried the NEP did you have to modify anything in order for it to work?

Offline Groundpounder

• Board Regular!
Re: Cruise Control Devices ?
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2008, 10:47:12 PM »
I know this is an old thread. However, I want to share my latest winter project with my fellow banditos. Even though I live in Central California there are approximately 2 months out of the year that I choose not to ride due to the dense fog. Anyway, during that time I decided to go all out, by purchasing and installing a "real" cruise control. The unit is an universal model by Audiovox, model CCS-100. I picked it up on Amazon.com for $85 including shipping. Anyway, the installation is fairly straight forward. The servo and vaccum canister (the vaccum canister  does not come with the unit, it is something you can easily construct from PVC pipe) tuck in nicely behind the side fairings. Wiring of the unit is very simple, provided you have a schematic and ohm/volt meter. The hardest part of the installation was removing the carbs and connecting the cruise control cable to the throttle linkage on the bike. But, once I figured out that the cable must pull down, not up, it was fairly simple. Nevertheless, the cruise control works better than anticipated and much smoother than some car cruise controls. It basically has the same features with on/off, set, coast and accel/resume. It disengages with a touch of the brakes and extremely smooth. Needless to say, I couldn't be happier with unit and operation. Unfortunately, I don't really know how to attach or post pictures, or I would. I took pictures of the entire installation. So, if anyone is interested, let me know or if someone can help me post them that would be great too! :motorsmile:
Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly!

Offline Pillage

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2008, 08:57:31 AM »
Real cruise control sounds great, but I'm not as ambitious as you so I just bolted up a Vista Throttle lock a while back.  It's great on long highway runs, it locks easily with a flip of your thumb and it's cheap (approx $25), but needs input up and down the hills  :wink:

http://www.jcwhitney.com/VISTA-CRUISE-CRUISE-CONTROL/GP_2010944_N_111+10211+600014745_10111.jcw
FZ1000S,  GSF1200SV,  CB750F
Support the Avon Walk for Breast Cancer

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2008, 05:28:09 PM »
I've heard of that being done before and there MAY even be a thread buried in here somewhere on it - or it may be from one of the older versions of the board and it's lost... but here's the basic idea done on a Kawi Concours:

http://www.murphskits.com/audiovox/1index.html

The schematic is probably different, but the idea is the same.

And you can easily post pics here by following the instructions in the Board FAQ on the subject:
http://forums.banditalley.net/index.php?topic=520.0
You'll need to have your pics hosted on a share-friendly site that doesn't require viewers to login, like Photobucket.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline Groundpounder

• Board Regular!
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2008, 07:25:04 PM »
 :thanks:Red01, I appreciate the tips to post pics and including the hyperlink to the instructional thread. If I can remember my user id and password for Photobucket, I'll be able to post the pics sometime tonight. I think other riders may be interested in viewing how well this particular unit fits the bandit.   

« Last Edit: April 16, 2008, 01:30:46 AM by Groundpounder »

Offline Groundpounder

• Board Regular!
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2008, 11:03:48 AM »
Hope the pics help and didn't take forever and a day to load. For less than a hundred bucks, this set up is well worth the money and time to install.  :motorsmile:

Offline scott

• New user!
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2009, 11:59:42 PM »
hey Groundpounder,how did you run the servo cable?did you go under the motor?Also did you hook up the vac line,first carb?

Offline Groundpounder

• Board Regular!
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2009, 10:30:33 AM »
As you can see, I mounted the servo on the right hand side on top of the R/H fairing mounting bracket. The servo cable was then routed on the inside of the frame, back around the battery and then down on the L/H side along the wiring for the starter and alternator, then behind the motor and the to the center of the carbs. The cable had to pull in the "down" direction. I could not get it to work pulling up. I hooked up the vacuum lines exactly as pictured. However, later I discovered that I only needed two connections and went with carbs 1 & 3. IMO, it worked better than advertised. It's a great set up and the only way to go for those seriously long rides. I would set it according the speed on my GPS and just go...no worries...just great enjoyable riding.

Offline scott

• New user!
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2009, 02:22:01 PM »
thanks,I also did the over the top pull and just couldn't get the wire loop to hook around the throttle wire cam and fit it back into the pulley.Will try your way and probably be buggin you again...lol