Author Topic: Anyone try an HJC CL-max modular helmet?  (Read 4414 times)

Offline PeteSC

• Board Homesteader!
    • SouthChinaLady
Anyone try an HJC CL-max modular helmet?
« on: May 18, 2005, 11:16:47 AM »
I broke the latch on my 4 year old Symax, and loved it.
  The CL-max is quite a bit cheaper, and  comes in XXXL, which the Symax only goes to XXL.  (Fit OK, but my other HJC helmets are XXXL.)
  Thought I'd try one.

Anybody using one?

They're a little over $160 at Bike Bandit, while the SyMax is $220 something. :?:   :?:  :?:
Spartanburg, SC
'99 Bandit 1200
'03 DR650
I'm really a very hot, sexy,lesbian, trapped in this fat, middle-aged, male body......

Offline PeteSC

• Board Homesteader!
    • SouthChinaLady
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2005, 06:59:58 PM »
Well, guess I'll find out!
  Ordered a CL-Max for $153.99 with free shipping from Motorcyclesuperstore.com.     They didn't bump up the price for the XXXL like some retailers, and, of course, conveniently, are a BAnditAlley affiliate!

Will let you know how it is when it shows up.....

They only had a black in stock, in my size.
Spartanburg, SC
'99 Bandit 1200
'03 DR650
I'm really a very hot, sexy,lesbian, trapped in this fat, middle-aged, male body......

Offline PeteSC

• Board Homesteader!
    • SouthChinaLady
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2005, 10:05:47 AM »
Damnation!  Fedex ground delivered the helmet to the wrong address!
 Address on package was correct.  Somebody I don't know signed for it.
  Now there's a long process while the driver attempts to figure where he left the package, tries to get it back....BEFORE I can file a claim!
 :duh:
 They were notified they screwed up on thursday.  They're telling me it will be next week before they get back to me, due to the holiday.
  Great customer service, Fedex!
  The helmet arrived 'somewhere' on weds.  I was hoping to use it this weekend. :duh:
Spartanburg, SC
'99 Bandit 1200
'03 DR650

Offline PeteSC

• Board Homesteader!
    • SouthChinaLady
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2005, 02:08:33 PM »
OK.   The helmet actually arrived.  Fexex dropped it off 2 doors down, and the person who got it by mistake, brought it over.

I'll let Fedex stew over this a while, and see how long it takes for them to figure out they lost a package, and have no idea where it is.
  I won't file a claim, just interested if they'll ever do a follow up contact with me, and how long it takes.

Initial impressions of the CLMax....
    It's equal or better quality than the more expensive Symax.
   The face shield,  (not the flip up chin/shield section) has several, firm, detents, so it may stay up in several postions...at modest speeds.
      The shell shape is a little different than the Symax.
  In the Symax, The biggest they offer is an XXL.    If fits OK, feels fine,except a little limited space in the chin area.
  The XXXL CLmax seems a little snugger overall, and maybe a little snugger around the top of my head.  Not uncomfortable, just different.
  There is more room in the 'chin' area.  On the SYmax, I sometimes had to open my mouth a bit to close the front.  Got used to it, but it's nice having more room.

The helmet foam may conform a bit with use.  The Helmet is NOT uncomfortable.

Overall, I think it's a great buy at $150, and worth considering if you want a modular type helmet.
   The shell shape difference may be in my imagination.
  Like most helmets, it's wise to try one on, in your specific size, before you buy it.

FWIW, I have 3 (4 counting the trashed Symax) helmets.   3 in XXXL, and one in XXL.
Spartanburg, SC
'99 Bandit 1200
'03 DR650

Offline B6Matt

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2005, 10:47:13 PM »
Maybe you should just throw a paint bucket over that ginormous melon! :crackattack:

I'm going to start slowly shopping for a new helmet myself.  Probably wait until fall and take advantage of an end-of-season bargain at a local m/c shop.  Did you try one on before you took the plunge?

My HJC LT-20 is a pretty good value; it fits me pretty well (XL), but it fogs up pretty easily and is noisy.  The shield works quite well with good solid detents.  It will stay cracked open about 1/2" as fast as 75 mph.  I don't like it cracked any faster than that, but it might stay cracked open at 100 mph for all I know.
'01 Bandit 600s in Blue (sold)
'02 Yamaha FZ1
'01 Suzuki DRZ 400e

Offline PeteSC

• Board Homesteader!
    • SouthChinaLady
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2005, 08:47:05 AM »
Matt, I actually didn't try on a CLMAX in XXXL before I ordered one.
  I was taking a chance, although I have had 3 other HJC helmets in various sizes.
  I guess what I was trying to say, is, the XXXL Cymax wasn't as 'roomy' as I thought it would be.  Fits fine, but since i have an open faced HJC in XXXL, a CL12 in XXXL, and a Symax in XXL, I'm guessing there's some sizing/shape differences.

I haven't had a chance to ride much, but did do a 30 minute stint with the CLMAX.  It seems fine.......

I'd be offended at the 'melon' remark, except it's better than being a 'pinhead'!

(And I know there are bigger haids out there.....and at least mine isn't empty.   IT may be full of worthless stuff, but it's not empty!)
 :motorsmile:
Spartanburg, SC
'99 Bandit 1200
'03 DR650

Offline fartndust

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2005, 04:59:23 PM »
I received my modular by EXL (?) last week, and I've used it each day since, to and from work.  I like being able to flip it up off my face to talk without removeing the helmet.  The adjustable shield clicks solidly from each position, and the padding is thick and comfy...Wind noise at 60 is annoying, but not unbearable.  I'm not sure why I'm getting it, the fit is excellent....hmmmm
The EXL is off of E-bay at $88...Does it compare with my HJC?  Seems to be, I won't be volunteering for a crash evaluation though.  Is it as good as my FLY off roader?  Yep, and the liner is fully removeable/washeable/replaceable.
Now...take this all with a grain of salt...my mellon is only a MEDIUM.  Not much room for gray matter, unless you count my hairline.
I was drinking at the time...so ya, I mighta said that.
IT'S ONLY FUNNY TILL SOMEONE LOSES AN EYE...Then hey! There's a free eye out there!
'02 Bandit 1200S  Me
'04 YFZ450  Me
'03 LTZ400 Wifey
'02 YFS200 Son
'04 Viper 90 Honeybun