Author Topic: ECHO Quick Release Helmet Buckle  (Read 3962 times)

Offline mike

• Board Homesteader!
ECHO Quick Release Helmet Buckle
« on: March 12, 2005, 09:20:54 PM »
Quote from: "PeteSC"
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 I bought this from www.helmetharbor.com

DECADES ago, i had some sort of a quick release buckle on my helmet, and liked it. (Can't remember brand name)

After reading the 'glowing' reports at the seller, I ordered one of these.

The critical parts are steel, and appear sturdy. The plastic cover isn't part of the 'locking system', so shouldn't be a problem with durabilty. IT DOES function to UNLOCK the buckle, but isn't part of the locking process.

It installed easily.

The latching process is initially not any easier or quicker than using the normal 'D-ring's on the helmet. So far, I've needed both hands to latch the unit.
Unlocking is a little quicker, and can be done with one hand.

Overall, I'm not sure it's much quicker to use than the normal 'd-ring' setup, or any more secure.

I didn't cut off my 'rings' when installing this, and I'm glad I didn't!

I'll give this a 'neutral' rating for now. My opinion may change, after some use.

Edited by: PeteSC at: 8/9/02 9:44:43 pm

PeteSC
WEBMONSTER!
(7/30/02 12:53 am)
Reply | Edit | Del
ezSupporter

Re: ECHO Quick Release Helmet Buckle/!@#@!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 What an annoying piece of junk!

I had the opportunity to put the helmet on and off, maybe `0-`5 times a day over the last 4 days, and found I could only get it latched the first try, maybe 20% of the time!!

One time, only one prong latched, and I couldn't release it!

Luckily, I had enough slack in the strap to painfully take the helmet off with it still buckled. Then I had to fumble with it to free the latched prong. It's difficult to get the pieces to line up........when you can't see them!

20 years ago I had some sort of 'quick connect' buckle for helmets that worked MUCh better. (Can't remember the name, but it looked like a little seat belt buckle.)
MAybe some of you are more c0-ordinated than I am, and can attach this thing without any problems, but for me, "D rings" are the way to go!
Better a crossthreader..
than a crossdresser!

tom623
(8/18/02 11:48 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del   Re: ECHO Quick Release Helmet Buckle/!@#@!
 I generally like the convenience of the buckle, and usually don't have any trouble latching it. What I find annoying tho is that the male prongs keep working their way down on the strap, so that the strap keeps getting looser on your jaw every time you connect/disconnect it. Not a secure feeling.
Tom

txmedic
(11/26/02 10:14 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del   Re: ECHO Quick Release Helmet Buckle/!@#@!
 Ditto the above. It also was uncomfortable due to its size when properly tightened down. Not to mention pinching occasionally when fastening.

Offline fartndust

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2005, 01:46:04 PM »
I've gotthe Echo quick connects on 5 different helmets now...one for each family member and two for me  (4 off road, 1 street ).  Sometimes latching it can be a pain, but no more so than the strap and the D rings.  The quick connect is a huge blessing to my 6 year old.  She can fasten her helmet without assistance everytime.  She struggled  with the strap and D ring and always needed help.
Just before I throw my helmet on, I back the strap off about an inch so I can get a good hold of the MALE end...that makes connecting into the female end effortless, before it was hit an miss.  Not good on a helmet latch or after a date :shock:
Then I just snug it up and go.  Of the 4 of us that ride...we all give it a thumbs up. :bigok:
I was drinking at the time...so ya, I mighta said that.
IT'S ONLY FUNNY TILL SOMEONE LOSES AN EYE...Then hey! There's a free eye out there!
'02 Bandit 1200S  Me
'04 YFZ450  Me
'03 LTZ400 Wifey
'02 YFS200 Son
'04 Viper 90 Honeybun

Offline S_Kisby

• Board Regular!
Junk!
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2005, 02:03:49 PM »
I agree with the top posts - what a piece of junk!  Not worth the $7 it cost me & I was very glad I didn't cut off the D rings on my SyMax!