Author Topic: Looking for Tail or Saddle bags  (Read 10028 times)

Offline Heaven Bound

• Board Homesteader!
  • Crash Test Dummy
Looking for Tail or Saddle bags
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2007, 09:08:20 PM »
I'll add my $0.02 worth to this old thread revived...

I use the Cortech sport saddle and tail bag combo for weekend trips.  When I want to camp, I just throw the tent and sleeping bag on top of the tail bag and ratchet strap them in place.

For daily commutes the saddle bags go along with my normal road replair supplies and rain gear packed away.  I keep enough space in one side to stuff my liner jacket for when the temps climb later in the day.
Paul D.
04 GSF1200S (Charcoal Grey)
...TRASHED

My Other Digs Bikers4Christ     Listen to KLOVE online or find a station near you.

Offline Barbarian

• Board Homesteader!
    • http://www.straightdope.com
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2007, 05:40:38 PM »
For day to day riding, I've got a Rapid Transit Recon tail bag. It has bungees which connect to the hooks near the passenger pegs, and I feel most secure with the rear cords going around the passenger grab bar.
2006 650 Bandit S w/ABS

Offline orionburn

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2007, 01:27:34 PM »
Anybody ever used the Nelson Rigg CL-150? I'm looking for something that will make a good overnight bag, so nothing really huge. That and I'd be using it to haul my gym stuff and school books on a day to day basis.

Edit: Looked at a few others on New Enough today, but the CL-150 seemed to fit the bill for what I've been looking for. Good size (enough to get a helmet into) and like the features. Once it comes in I'll post some info up about it.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.

87 FZR1000
03 Bandit 1200S

Offline orionburn

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2007, 02:10:13 PM »
Got my bag Friday and so far I'm loving it. Good size when it's expanded, and not that bulky when it isn't. I do have one question....where the hell do you guys attach your bungee cords at? The onces that come with the 150 are to long to make use of the metal attachment points on the tail. And of course under the tail there isn't any place to attach because of the plastic underneath. Wondering what you all do to make sure it's secure enough.

87 FZR1000
03 Bandit 1200S

Offline orionburn

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2007, 01:23:35 PM »
Bumping up again.

The other day I had the bag packed to the hilt and 5 minutes down the road it started sliding over to the ride side. Pulled over and made some adjustments and was fine for the rest of the trip. Still looking for some pointers on how you attach your tail bags. I'll try and get some pictures taken to better explain what I'm talking about.

What I've been doing so far is attaching the front cords to the rear passenger peg assembly, then criss-crossing the rear cords to the metal posts in back. It works, but it isn't as snug as I'd like. I could hack the cords to shorten them a bit, but trying to avoid that if I can. I don't know what to do for the rear other than drilling out holes in the plastic underneath the tail. Little help?

87 FZR1000
03 Bandit 1200S

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2007, 02:16:58 PM »
My tail bag has bungees that form loops, instead of the single cord with a plastic hook that seems to be more common these days. (It also has hooks that can be used with it, I just don't use them.) I wrap the front cords around the front bungee spools and the back cords under the grab rail and then around the rear spools (or when the Ventura rack L-bars are on, the rear of them, under the knurled rack screws). That keeps the bag from wanting to move anywhere.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline orionburn

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2007, 02:53:11 PM »
Don't know why I didn't think about wrapping them around the spools.  :duh: The cords are pretty damned thick so may still prove a problem, but I'll give your method a shot and see how it works.

87 FZR1000
03 Bandit 1200S

Offline Barbarian

• Board Homesteader!
    • http://www.straightdope.com
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2007, 03:37:08 PM »
I put my rear cords through the grab bar, around the spool, then hook them back to the bungee cord.

If the spool had a big ass washer on the end (which I should probably install myself) I'd shorten the bungee cord a bit and it'd probably hook on quite simply.
2006 650 Bandit S w/ABS

Offline ZenMan

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2007, 10:37:38 AM »
Dowco makes a great econo-set of matching soft luggage for a great price:

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/item.aspx?style=23113&department=668&Division=6

I have the Deluxe Series matching set which costs a little more because you have to buy the pieces seperately.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/item.aspx?style=24677&department=668&Division=6

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/item.aspx?style=23219&department=668&Division=6

I can vouch for their very good quality construction, and the saddlebahs fit close-in and don't stick out very far at all.

I chose the strap-style tank bag rather than the magnetic, available seperately:

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/item.aspx?style=24792&department=668&Division=6
"Hmmm... near certainty of death with little chance of success... what are we waiting for?"