Author Topic: HJC Symax helmet  (Read 4416 times)

Offline mike

• Board Homesteader!
HJC Symax helmet
« on: March 12, 2005, 09:24:38 PM »
Quote from: "PeteSC"
HJC Symax helmet
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 I've wanted one of these for a while, and most riders have been happy with them.
I've been wearing two other HJC Helmets, a CL12, and an open face model, both in XXXL. Both have been good values, and comfortable.

I prefer to buy helmets in person, the open face helmet was all I could find locally at the time, that fit well. I ordered the CL12 after trying on an XXL that was a little snug.
The largest SYMAX is a XXL. I doubted it would fit well, but did try one on at a dealer, and found it a little snug, but not uncomfortable.
After the local dealer wanted to add $15 for the XXL size, and wouldn't give me the catalog price in the store.......I went home and ordered one from www.helmetharbor.com for about $55 less!
(I would have been willing to pay more at the dealer, without the 'games'...)
The XXL fits me OK. The initial snugness turned out not to be the problem I thought, with the exception of the chinbar contacting my chin! I actually have to 'drop my jaw' a bit to close it with one hand.
THIS IS DUE TO MY FACIAL CHARACTERISTICS...NOT A FAULT OF THE HELMET!
(Wonder what Jay Leno wears?)
I mention this to remind you to be careful buying a helmet that you haven't tried on!
A few seconds in the showroom isn't a very good indication of how the helmet will feel in actual use, and for hours on end.
I took a 45 minute ride this morning, and figure the 'chin' problem is something I can live with!
Overall,the helmet is comfortable, somewhat quiet with the 'ear pads' installed. (Included) The latching mechanism is pretty easy to operate, and seems secure.
It is nice being able to 'flip up' while at stop lights, gas stations....etc.
I wear glasses, and it's easy to put the helmet on while wearing them.
(A plus.....if you've ever done the 'put the glasses on top of the tank while putting on the full face helmet........have them slide off...hit the pavement' routine...)
Probably not as strong as a one piece design, but, life's a compromise.

PeteSC
WEBMONSTER!
(9/22/02 5:38 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del
ezSupporter

Re: HJC Symax helmet
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 I've got about 10 hours of use on the Symax, and like it.
The noise level seems comparable to my CL 12.
I'm actually not ignoring you,
I'm just paying more attention to the voices in my head!

brewnbiker
(9/27/02 5:35 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del
   Re: HJC Symax helmet
 I've been riding with the Symax for several months and several thousand miles now.

I love it. The locking mechanism has not "loosened" up at all and having the ability to flip it up sure comes in handy.

I guess my only complaint is that the visor doesn't stay where I put it anymore. Riding at Interstate speeds it will partially open when I look left or right before changing lanes. That's annoying.

cpyguy69
(1/14/03 6:45 am)
Reply | Edit | Del   sy-max to the max
 I've been wearing the symax for about 11k miles now
and I love it. Easy to get on and off, especially with
glasses. I all ways ride with the visor up a 1/4 inch
for air and to prevent fogging. It hasn't started
slipping yet. A bit loud but I always ride with ear plugs
so no worries. Its comfortable for hours at a time.

Bazza
(8/16/03 4:17 am)
Reply | Edit | Del   Re: sy-max to the max
 I Purchased two sy-max helmets with my bike, and have found them comfortable, but a bit noisy. Otherwise I am 100% satisfied.

I managed to drop my helmet about a foot from the ground, and broke the little plastic hinge on one side of the helmet. A five cent piece I thought. When I took the helmet back to the dealer looking for a replacement part (& was honest about how it broke), the dealer phoned the Sy-max rep who sent me a brand new helmet after I shipped him my old one. (They even paid for the shipping).

I was so impressed with their customer service, I would recomend their helmets to anyone.

Bazza

cpyguy69
(8/23/03 9:29 am)
Reply | Edit | Del   follow the rainbow
 I have the Symax and love it but
my visor finally became to scatched to see through.
I ordered one of the rainbow mirrored visors.
I acts like the old blue blocker sunglasses everyone
was pushing years ago. I also wear presciption shades
which are quite dark. Made for some unusual
colors along the way. Very comfortable riding
into the sun. When darkness hit I had to switch
to the clear glasses. This visor is a bit dark.
Has anyone else tried this visor and found the
view abit unusual?

Offline PeteSC

• Board Homesteader!
    • SouthChinaLady
HJC Symax helmet
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2005, 08:36:04 AM »
Just an update.   My Symax tumbled off of a picnic table at the rally, and must have hit the plastic on the inner 'chin' section 'just right', so it broke the black plastic shell behind the latching mechanism.
  This means the helmet is hard to latch, and release.

I ordered a CL-Max to replace it.

(I'd find it hard to live without a modular helmet in normal riding....)
Spartanburg, SC
'99 Bandit 1200
'03 DR650
I'm really a very hot, sexy,lesbian, trapped in this fat, middle-aged, male body......

Offline NHBubba

• Board Regular!
HJC Symax helmet
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2005, 05:16:09 PM »
I bought a Symax under the strong recommendation from a close friend of my dad's. This guy's been riding forever and was actually an MSF instructor for a while. He is big on safety and puts a lot of miles on his bikes, so I figured he probably knew what he was talking about. He said the flip-up front is essential for those of us who wear glasses.

I ran w/ the helmet for 2-3 seasons.. and never quite fell in love w/ it. The helmet was okay, fairly well built and of relatively good materials. But the front chin bar is made of some sort of plastic, not fiberglass/resin like the rest of the helmet. It just never felt that sturdy to me.

I eventually replaced the helmet w/ a conventional full-faced (CL-14) w/ fancy-shmancy graphics. I like this helmet much better. It feels like a better fit and more secure on my head. The helmet feels a lot more sturdy and I trust it to hold together better should I ever end up using it for real, I'm sure that's a perception thing though.. I've since turned the Symax over to my GF, who rides as a passenger every now and then. She seems to like the helmet though.

And there is no contest that the conventional full-faced bucket is better in two areas: value and wind noise. The extra little nubs and hinges on the Symax seemed to generate a lot more wind-noise when under way. Also the Symax was relatively pricey. I believe I paid a good $50 more for the Symax.. but I ordered the Symax from a discount retailer online. The new bucket I just bought from a local retailer and paid his inflated price. Looking at the HJC website the helmets have a nearly $100 difference in MSRP. I would call the CL a better built helmet w/ more features.. And for $100 I'll gladly risk breaking my wireframe glasses wiggling into the CL..
2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200 - Red, Fast, Fun..
National Cycle F-16 Tour shield, otherwise stock

Offline GETFURIOUS

• CAPS LOCK IS STUCK
  • Board Homesteader!
HJC CL-MAX HELMET
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2005, 10:57:19 PM »
I BOUGHT THE CL-MAX HELMET IN CANDY APPLE RED ABOUT A MONTH AGO.  

FOR OVER 20 YEARS, I HAVE ALWAYS RIDDEN WITH AN OPEN FACE HELMET.  WHEN I DECIDED TO TRY A FULL FACE HELMET, I DIDN'T LIKE THE TRADITIONAL FULL FACED HELMET.  I FOUND THEM VERY UNCOMFORTABLE.  SO, I DECIDED TO TRY THE CL-MAX.  IT IS THE BEST HELMET THAT I HAVE EVER HAD.

FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO COMPLAIN ABOUT NOISE, I LOVE TO LISTEN TO MY BIKE'S ENGINE.  I LIKE HAVING THE ABILITY TO HEAR WHAT IS AROUND ME. THE NOISE LEVEL IS VERY LOW, WITHOUT BEING MUFFLED.

I GOT A FAIR PRICE FROM A LOCAL DEALER, AND THE PRICE WAS ALMOST THE SAME AS IF I HAD ORDERED IT FROM A WEBSITE.  

I WOULD ALWAYS RECOMEND THE CL-MAX HELMET.   :banana:
2001 BANDIT 1200S - MY DOCTOR ALWAYS SAYS, TAKE A SHOT OF B-12 AND CALL ME IN THE MORNING!  I LOVE MY DOCTOR!

W-T-B - AFTERMARKET CHROME/POLISHED WHEELS-LIKE THESE-http://www.exoticsportbike.com/star2.htm

Offline S_Kisby

• Board Regular!
Good
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2005, 02:08:04 PM »
I have had mine for a year now & really my only complaint would be that even with the XXL it's a little tight.  I got used to an open face though so I find the full face a little claustrophobic.  I tried the Nolan modular & the SyMax is far better.

Offline tomacGTi

• Board Homesteader!
HJC Symax helmet
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2005, 03:31:26 PM »
A little tip for wind noise: you can order a chin curtain for the Symax.

The wind basically cheats down past the chinbar and creates a vortex there. Try putting your hand under your chin the next time you're riding and the noise goes away.

I cobbled one together for my CL-Max and it works OK. Certainly not silent but much better than before. Longer trips I just use earplugs.

-Randy