Author Topic: Joe Rocket Blaster 3 Leather Jacket  (Read 5165 times)

Offline fossil

• TURBO TYPER!
Joe Rocket Blaster 3 Leather Jacket
« on: April 27, 2006, 10:16:37 AM »
I am thinking of buying one of these jackets.  Before I do I would like to hear from any members who may own one.  Please give me your impressions of the product especially in regards to the removeable ventilation panels.  Do they work?
 :thanks:
'06 Bandit 1200S abs

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2006, 11:35:23 AM »
Don't know about the Blaster 3.0, but it appears to be a similar idea to their even more ventilated when unzipped textile "Alter Ego" which I have - and love!
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline IcyChaos

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2006, 03:00:24 PM »
I spent a good 2-3 hours trying on jackets 2 weeks ago. I was looking into all the joe rocket jackets. Originally I went to get a phoenix 4.0. After trying it on I didn't like how much the CE rated pads shifted on me, tightening the arm buttons didn't help much either. Then I tried on the alter Ego. What a nice jacket, and I was almost sold on it. My problem with it was that you souldn't tighten the cufs on the sleeves. I don't like this since I ride everywhere from 100F to 25F, and I can't handle not being able to stop wind coming up my cuff. Another part it lacked for me was to tighten up the sides of your waist. Instead of the velcro they had those bungee straps. When I tightened it up I had a good 3 inches of string hanging of both my sides. I tried the reactor, I liked the leather on the sleeves, and the UFO, but the pads shifted like the phoenix. Those all had the adjustable waist with velcro and cuffs.
I finally decided on the suzuki gsxr champion jacket. The pads didn't shift at all for me, with CE rated pads and adjustable cuffs/waist. It also came with a warm liner, and I can buy the Drytech waterproof liner for it. Was the best solution for me.
True its warmer than mesh, but its certainly better than the 2mm thick cowhide cruiser jacket I had. I kinda decided that mesh is a little too unsafe for me, even though textile isn't much better.

Red I think the big difference between alter ego and this Blaster is the Blaster is leather.

I know im long winded but I guess my point of this is, Go to a store and try them on before you buy. there's no way to tell if the pads are going to shift or be in the wrong position for you. I would have definatly bought leather if I had the coin. But I think I would go for a perforated solution, its just too hot for me.

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2006, 03:19:58 PM »
I always wear gauntlet style gloves, so the wind up the sleeve isn't a problem for me.

The elastic drawstring can be trimmed shorter if you have that much excess.

The Blaster looks like a nice jacket, I just never tried one. The Alter Ego has worked well for me in weather from freezing to well into the 100's.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline fossil

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2006, 04:37:43 PM »
I have a pair of the Alter Ego pants and really like them.  The Blaster jacket has removable textile panels about 4'' wide that run from the bottom side of the jacket past the underarm and end at the cuff.  Underneath is mesh.  I believe the Alter Ego jacket has panels on the chest that can be removed.  My concern is that while your arms may be cool your chest and back may get too hot.
'06 Bandit 1200S abs

Offline speedytriple

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2006, 12:21:26 AM »
um if your hung up on leather over textile then get the power ego. same as the alter ego but made with leather. mesh under the leather. i have looked at these a few times and the alter ego. i hate having three jackets. one for hot, one for cold winter, and one for sport riding. it would be nice to have one jacket to meet most of my riding needs.

mike
Mike
Berea, Ohio
2000 speed triple
2002 VW gti 1.8t

Offline IcyChaos

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2006, 04:51:15 AM »
Quote from: "Red01"
I always wear gauntlet style gloves, so the wind up the sleeve isn't a problem for me.

The elastic drawstring can be trimmed shorter if you have that much excess.

The Blaster looks like a nice jacket, I just never tried one. The Alter Ego has worked well for me in weather from freezing to well into the 100's.

I really wanted to get that alter ego jacket,  just those 2 things didn't work for me.  I might try the alter ego pants for sure though.

As for leather jackets, I just couldn't afford that option yet. besides I plan on grabbing a 1 piece suit or 2piece full zipper for trackdays in the future, so I wasn't going to go too crazy w/ gear yet.

Offline rider123

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2006, 05:11:53 PM »
I have the Blaster 2.0: This time it's personal.

And it's a pretty good jacket for the money. The vents work but you're arms will eventually get a little damp after about an hour of heavy downpour. You're torso will stay dry though. I imagine the 3.0 is an upgrade. And if you get the back protector then it turns into blaster 3.1.
2005 Bandit 1200, Modified Holeshot Stage 1 with 17.5 pilots 2.75 turns out, and 110 mains 5 shims. Muzzy Slip on w/mid-pipe, stock filter. 1.5" hole in the airbox lid.