Author Topic: Hot Weather Jackets - Opinions?  (Read 5814 times)

Offline pmackie

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Hot Weather Jackets - Opinions?
« on: January 23, 2007, 12:33:17 AM »
Even though it is cold and blowing snow here, I'm trying to keep my thoughts on riding. I am a little anal (some don't agree with the little  :duh: ) about wearing all of my gear, all of the time.

I normally ride in a full 2 piece set of Alpine Stars Leathers and boots. Being from the frozen North, this works for most of the year, but each year there is about 4 weeks where the temp could be above 90 F, and this set up is just too hot.

So, I'm thinking about getting a convertable "mesh" style tactile jacket for these times.

Anyone got experience with the Alpine Stars "Air-Flo" or Tourmaster "Intake" or "Flex" Jackets?

What do you hot weather guys use, and whY?
Paul
2002-GSF600S, Progressive Fork Springs, B12 Shock,
SS Brake lines, EBC HH pads, Leo Vince Ex & Kappa bags.
Ex Bike Mechanic (late 70's), somewhat rusty
32 years in the Fuel/lubes industry(Retired)

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2007, 10:36:38 AM »
I wear a Joe Rocket "Alter Ego" year-round. When the temps get into the 30's (F), I'll don my heated jacket liner on first.

Why did I choose it? Because when I bought it, it was the only convertable jacket on the market. Of the jackets you mentioned, only the TourMaster Flex is a true convertable jacket... and a pretty nice looking one at that (and it's on sale at New Enough for US$179.99 right now).
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline solman

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2007, 01:11:30 PM »
This subject has been covered a few times in the past.  Do a search to find more if you want.  Anyways, I got the Joe Rocket Phoenix mesh jacket.  I really like it and it gives be a good degree of confidence.  The comfort level is also as nice as it can be in really hot weather.  My jacket also came with a liner for when it cools off a bit.  This is a good time to find deals on mesh jackets(Dec-Jan).  You can find last year's models and plus it is winter time.  Try www.newenough.com and go to the clearance section to see what kind of deals that are present.
03 Naked Bandit 1200 <br />Vitamin B12, its great for the soul!

Offline aussiebandit

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2007, 01:54:10 AM »
Just before Christmas I bought a RJAYS Aquashield - similar to the Dri-Rider Rallycross but about $100 cheaper...

It's fully vented cordura with body armour and a pocket on the back for a Hydrapak.

It works well while you're moving, but let's face it, when you're sitting at the lights in 35+ temperatures you're going to get hot.
AUSSIEBANDIT (MICK)
02B12

"Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool"

Offline boyerg56

• New user!
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2007, 07:39:00 PM »
I'm probably not much help but, I just got a Tour Master "Intake" at the NYC motorcycle show for $120 US.  It all mesh on the outside with both a water/wind liner and a quilted innerliner.  It's pretty warm.  I wore it on the ferry ride back to NJ.  No I wasn't on the bike, it was on 18°F in the morning.
My Wheels
2006 FZ1 (yes i'm a traitor)
2002 Ram 1500
2005 G6 GT

Offline Frisk Fisk

• Site Supporters
  • TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2007, 06:45:07 AM »
My first all-summer jacket was an early Joe Rocket.  In between the lumps of armor was a diaphanous mesh material and I felt like a chorus girl when i wore it.  I got it at a motorcycle store, but I probably could have bought it at Victoria's Secret.  I just bought an Olympia MotoSport jacket ("pewter" color) that is breathable on the outside and has a zip-in waterproof and thermal liner.  It is well made, cost a fairly reasonable $218 and, without the liner, is the coolest I've experienced.  They didn't have my size, so I bought the next largest and the slightly loose fit adds to the cooling - although it won't protect me as much as the right fit would if I go down.
Of course, when it's really hot, nothing works.  That's when I don't wear anything except the ski mask.
What do we exist for but to laugh at our neighbors and be made sport of in our turn? (Jane Austin)

Offline daneilah

• New user!
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2007, 06:35:28 PM »
I normally wear a Joe Rocket Meteor 4 textile jacket, which I really like.  It's good from 0 Celcius up to 30 Celcius.

When it gets really hot I use the Joe Rocket Phoenix mesh jacket, which feels wonderful, but I don't really hold out much hope for serious protection if I go down wearing that one.  I get a small flash of guilt each time I put that one on.

:shock:
'06 GSF 650 S

Offline orionburn

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2007, 11:22:57 AM »
I have Cortech/Tour Master Breeze jacket that I bougt last year from New Enough on closeout. Don't think they even make them anymore, but I could be wrong. It's great for hot weather riding. Has all the armor in it and is light as a feather compared to my other jackets. I never feel as safe riding with it compared to the others, but it's better than nothing on 90+ degree day.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.

87 FZR1000
03 Bandit 1200S

Offline rmtcook

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2007, 09:22:29 AM »
I just got a Tourmaster Intake Mesh Jacket from New Enough. I started with a large but the sleeves were too short (I'm 6'4", 205 lbs with a 36" sleeve), so I went to an XL. That's the one thing I hate about on-line shopping. Add ten bucks to the price for shipping the item back every time you want to try on another size! Anyway, the sleeve length is OK on the XL but the body's a little big. Do you guys know if there is a mesh jacket out there that's a little narrower with longer sleeves? I love the airflow through the mesh, but I'd like something more form fitting. I'll probably just wind up keeping this one, but thought it would be worth mining the vast storehouse of knowledge on the board before I decide. Thanks
Bob
2003 Naked B12
Givi A600 Windscreen
Givi E36 Topcase
Ramsey, New Jersey

Offline Raphy

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2007, 09:30:15 AM »
+1 for Alter Ego jacket... it's great , especially for cold mornings and blistering hot afternoons... awsome..

I also have a Alpinestars T-Venom Air flow jacket... it's got a really good liner and warm liner... and waterproof :)

2005 Suzuki Bandit 650 S
2000 Honda Shadow 750 ACE (the ex)

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2007, 11:26:52 AM »
As I just mentioned in another gear thread, my son just picked up a TourMaster Flex jacket. Same basic principle as the Alter Ego. It's a nice jacket! I couldn't find it listed on their website though, so it may be a discontinued line. My local dealer had several in stock, and I can still find them available thru online retailers, like this one.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline Barbarian

• Board Homesteader!
    • http://www.straightdope.com
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2007, 05:42:20 PM »
When I was melting a few weeks ago I tried on a bunch of jackets at the shop, and walked away with an Alter Ego.

I need a fair bit of flexibility in temps, since I often work past midnight, so what's good to wear during the day would be too chilly at night -- and I like the outer shell zipping off.
2006 650 Bandit S w/ABS

Offline gyrogearcrunch

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2007, 11:55:12 PM »
Quote from: "Red01"
I wear a Joe Rocket "Alter Ego" year-round. When the temps get into the 30's (F), I'll don my heated jacket liner on first.

Why did I choose it? Because when I bought it, it was the only convertable jacket on the market. Of the jackets you mentioned, only the TourMaster Flex is a true convertable jacket... and a pretty nice looking one at that (and it's on sale at New Enough for US$179.99 right now).

Know what you mean. I bought the Joe Rocket Ballistic jacket and pants at the same time I bought the bike due to the hefty discount being offered. They're the 2001 model (silver with black side panels and has the armor inserts. Pants are all black with silver piping). Both cost less than $150. The jacket is bearable in Tampa's summer heat at traffic lights.

Herb

Offline banditone1250s

• Board Homesteader!
Hot Weather Jacket
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2007, 02:57:35 PM »
I like to ride cool but I also like to have adequate protection against "abrasion". I see a lot of people riding in a t-shirt and shorts and I am sorry but I am just not doing that. The armoured jackets are not going to help with any kind of impact any way so abrasion protection is what we should look for. Just avoid the impact like a plaque. I wear the Joe Rocket "rasp" jacket and it seems to perform well in all weather. It has strips that zip totally out of the jacket to make the front of it "mesh" and it breathes very well too. It also comes with a water-proof liner and a thermal liner if you want to stay warmer in colder weather. It's a real value at $179.00...Banditone1250s... :motorsmile:
There is a thin line between fear and respect...feel free to drift across it every now and then...

Offline treybrad

• Board Regular!
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2007, 03:29:22 PM »
Quote from: "Raphy"
+1 for Alter Ego jacket... it's great , especially for cold mornings and blistering hot afternoons... awsome..

+2 - I've used mine for a full year now, can't complain. Warm enough in the winter and as good as it's going to get on these hot 95 degree days like today. I'll probably get something a little warmer for those really cold days this winter though.. or maybe that's an excuse for a heated vest...

I've got a set of JR mesh pants I picked up on NewEnough for cheap that I love too. I commute everyday in this gear and it hasn't let me down yet.

trey
2007 Bandit 1250SA
Austin, TX