Author Topic: Scorpion EXO-400 Helmet  (Read 4961 times)

Offline B6Matt

• Board Homesteader!
Scorpion EXO-400 Helmet
« on: September 13, 2005, 10:13:31 PM »
These are really nice helmets for the money.  They fit well and are relatively quiet.  The liners are removable/replaceable and the texture of the cheek pads is nice and comfy.  One of the best things is that the clear and light smoke shields are...FOG FREE.

Check 'em out: Scorpion EXO-400 Helmet
'01 Bandit 600s in Blue (sold)
'02 Yamaha FZ1
'01 Suzuki DRZ 400e

Offline Maniac

• Board Homesteader!
    • http://www.bikepics.com/members/plan9/93bandit400/
Scorpion EXO-400 Helmet
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2005, 11:28:40 PM »
I've seen those on sale for relativly cheap at some of the local stores, always wondered about them. I definatly need to replace my beater HJC with the 'visor flips open at 50mph' problem.

2008 GSXR-750

Offline BlkJello

• Board Homesteader!
Scorpion EXO-400 Helmet
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2005, 11:39:02 PM »
Definately have to agree.  I have the 400 and my wife has the 700.  These helmets are Very comfortable. The pads snap out easily to clean.  Very nice.  Between the 400 and 700 i would say the 700 vents alittle better.  :motorsmile:
Mike Kuka

2005 Bandit 1200s

Offline KoolDawg6

• TURBO TYPER!
Scorpion EXO-400 Helmet
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2005, 10:26:55 AM »
I have the EXO-700 and like it alot. I've never owned any other helmet before to compare this to. I have ridden all summer long and my head has never gotten sweaty. I would recommend this helmet to anybody.

Offline interfuse

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Scorpion EXO-400 Helmet
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2005, 12:53:07 AM »
I thought about buying one, but changed my mind after reading:

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/testing/comply/fmvss218/2005s218.pdf

The EXO-700 failed a DOT random compliance test this year with a single penetration failure and a dwell time failure.

I figure they're are lots of other helmets, that passed, I can pick from.
Mike

'91 GSF400
It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow.

Offline Airmotive

• Board Homesteader!
Scorpion EXO-400 Helmet
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2005, 01:11:33 PM »
One thing I found VERY annoying about EXO400....the chin design causes a vacuum inside the front of the helmet....causing air to rush in behind the chin bar. The result: if something (anything) comes over your windscreen, it comes up under your faceshield. I've had two hornets, hundreds of luv bugs and even a small rock ( :wtf: ) get sucked into my face.

The manufacturer knows about this problem because they also sell an air dam that fits to the chin bar ($8.00) that cures this.

I've since added one of those neoprene helmet halo thingies. Works great.

Another issue is the "quick change" visor release. It's not.
True...it does not require tools....but it does require 30 fingers. I always feel like I am going to break my $30 visor every time I take it off and put it on.

Is it a good helmet? Yeah, I guess...especially for the price. Could it use a couple of design improvements? Sure could. The build quality was never in doubt....just little design issues that even a small amount of pre-production testing would have ironed out.
Give a man a match, and he'll be warm for a minute, but set him on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Offline BlkJello

• Board Homesteader!
Scorpion EXO-400 Helmet
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2005, 02:22:04 PM »
I havent noticed anything getting sucked into the helmet...although ive only used it with my bandit and the fairing probaly prevents most of that.  You are totally right about the supposedly quick release visor.  It is a nightmare sometimes.   :rant2:
Mike Kuka

2005 Bandit 1200s

Offline ttewejnodnarb

• Board Homesteader!
Scorpion EXO-400 Helmet
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2005, 07:15:29 PM »
I own one two and have had a problem with the visor and gasket having a gap.  Anyone else have this problem?  I noticed it when it was raining pretty heavily...I was suddenly reminded of Niagra falls and the Maiden of The Mist as water streamed down the inside of the visor.  I had to ride with it open...in the rain...at 50+ mph...OUCH!

I adjusted the "pivots" back as far as they would go without success.  They accepted it back and shipped me a brand new one at no cost, so I can say there customer service is good.  The only problem is I can still slip a piece of paper between the visor and gasket.  We'll see what happens the next time I ride in the rain.

Anti fogging works as advertised.

I've had more problems getting particles in my eyes with my old Shoei, so I guess this is a step up.

Anyone have a take on it failing DOT???  It didn't do that badly in the article in Motorcyclist...and the Z1R Strike rated the best...in the link above it fails... :wtf:
Brandon
98 B12S