Author Topic: Shark Helmets  (Read 14857 times)

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
Shark Helmets
« on: April 15, 2009, 09:09:32 AM »
A good friend just picked up a Shark RSR2 - Duhamel replica.  I was due for a new lid myself and was really impressed.  I did some research and found that the Shark RSI, a step or two down in the Shark lineup, is very highly regarded and compares favorably to the considerably more expensive RSR2.  I liked the fact that reviewer found fit and finish to be superb, it had all the safety certs, it has more of an oval shape (instead of the more common round shaped), and was described as a "featherweight."  After having a "fog-free" shield on my Scorpion, I'll never buy a helmet without it and the Sharks do.  Plus looking pretty cool was a bonus.  Picked mine up this week.  If this freakin' weather in the Northeast ever turns around I may get to try it out some day but from what I've seen, it definitely lives up to expectations.  Very cool looking and everything on it looks perfectly done and seems well made.  I know it doesn't but I swear it feels like it weighs half what my Scorpion EXO700 weighs.  I'm super-pleased so far.  I'll update this when I finally get a chance to get out and ride.
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
Re: Shark Helmets
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2009, 02:04:00 PM »
Just a quick update after 30 or 40 miles this weekend....  and we have a problem with the new lid.  It's too quiet.  I can hear the screaming little 4 way too well, now.  It makes me want to wick it up a little too much a little too often!   :motorsmile:

Seriously...  so far, I could not be happier with the Shark.  It may  be a product of the better fit for me with the oval shape but it is significantly quieter than the EXO700.

My ONLY (very minor) annoyance so far is something I also read in one of the reviews.  The little tab on the visor you grab to raise it is really far over.  Even when I think to reach over there a little further, I usually miss it the first time.  But I'm sure that's just a matter of what I'm used to and will get used to it over time.
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline gsfnxnt

• New user!
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2009, 12:49:32 AM »
Newbie here.......just so happens I've been looking at this exact helmet. 

Curious as to what you're riding with the new lid - had narrowed my choices to Bell Apex or Shark RSI, then found a hellacious deal on a new Bell Star.  One week later, I'm happy with the Star in every way 'cept one - noise.  On my bike ('97 1250S, Sargent seat, Powerbronze Double Bubble screen, Holeshot Superbike bars) I'm catching a lot of wind noise/turbulence around the bottom edge of the Bell.  Noticeably more than my RF900, enuff to make me think twice about keeping the Star, which otherwise is a pretty cool piece.

Wondering if the Shark might be significantly quieter (yes, I always wear earplugs).

Thanks

Garth

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2009, 10:08:33 AM »
Good point that bike and body position (tall/short, long torso/short)...  I'm 5'10", pretty normal torso, I guess,  on my 98 ZX6R with a Cheetah screen.  With me on that bike, this thing is tomb quiet below like 60 and in no way obnoxious on up   :trustme:.  It is WORLDS quieter than my Scorpion - which IIRC was about the same noise-wise as my Icon Mainframe. 

BTW - I got a hellacious deal myself.  $180 shipped with a dark smoke shield, brand new from 3D Cycles (a dealer in Maine) on Ebay.

And again, fit, finish, materials and everything is absolutely superb.  And at 1400 grams...  it's a featherweight.
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline gsfnxnt

• New user!
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2009, 02:57:17 PM »
How's the fit?  I'm getting contradictory info - Sportbiketrackgear dude sez they run large (he normally wears a medium, in the RSI he wears a small), others have told me that the Sharks run on the small side.  Confusing.

Thanks

Garth

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2009, 05:31:39 PM »
I'm pretty solidly a medium in every helmet I've had and am very comfortable in the med RSI.
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline bngboyd

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2009, 09:21:16 PM »
Thanks for the review Rob!

I was going to get a Scorpion EXO700 but I think you just changed my mind.  :trustme:  :thumb:
Bob
Redding, Ca.

2007 Bandit 1250S Non-ABS Black
2005 Bandit 1200S Yosh RS-3 Slipon (Wrecked!)

Offline dhcolesj

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2009, 11:07:56 PM »
Does the Shark RSI have the pull down Sun Visor like my HJC FS-10, or the Scorpion EXO700? (I think the 700 has one).
Left this off:  I like having the clear shield with the visor option so I don't have to change shields for night riding.
See Ya'
Howard Coles Jr.
John 3:16!

'08 1250S Bandit

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2009, 11:19:35 PM »
No drop-down shield.  BTW - I think that's in the EXO1000, not 700.

I liked my EXO700.  It's a quality lid, IMO.  The Shark is of at least equal quality, way lighter, quieter and fits my apparently oval melon better. 
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline dhcolesj

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2009, 12:58:19 AM »
hehe, you're right, it's the 1000, too many numbers. 
The HJC isn't bad on noise, especially if I keep the pads clean.  Its kinda spoiled me with the sun visor.  It can get kinda loud above 70 - 80 MPH, making it hard to talk on the Phone.   :ducking:
See Ya'
Howard Coles Jr.

'08 1250S Bandit

Offline inspecto

• New user!
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2009, 06:20:12 PM »
Don't talk and ride at the same time :annoy: :banghead:

Offline dhcolesj

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2009, 09:21:25 PM »
wow, it took 51 days for someone to fire that up.  hehehe.

Actually there are times I have to, hence the blue tooth phone adapter.  When I'm on call and have to respond quickly, if nothing else to say, "can you hold on a little and let me get off the road?"  Which is what I normally have to do anyway if I'm on the interstate, its too hard to hear what some folks are saying.   But that's a conversation for another thread. 

I looked over Shark's website and it doesn't appear that any of their helmet models have integrated sun visors.  too bad, some of their designs look pretty wild.
See Ya'
Howard Coles Jr.

'08 1250S Bandit