Author Topic: throttle lock  (Read 6239 times)

Offline Nitro

• Board Homesteader!
throttle lock
« on: May 05, 2007, 10:45:13 PM »
Has anyone installed either of these on a 1200 Bandit? Which model did you use?

Vista Cruise
NEP Cruise Control
97 Bandit 1200S

Offline ZenMan

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
throttle lock
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2007, 10:53:19 PM »
I used the SOR Vista Cruise on my B1250, with foam grips... and they said it couldn't be done!

The only problem with the design is you have to find the "sweet spot" when adjusting the tension. Too tight and the throttle will stick, too loose and the lock will slip.

But once you get it right it works pretty good.  :wink:
"Hmmm... near certainty of death with little chance of success... what are we waiting for?"

Offline aussiebandit

• Board Homesteader!
throttle lock
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2007, 09:09:34 AM »
I've got the Vista on my 02B12.  I agree with Zenman, you've got to 'play' around with the adjustment.

But don't forget that it is a THROTTLE LOCK not a CRUISE CONTROL, so unless you are on a level road with no wind it will not hold a speed for any real length time.
AUSSIEBANDIT (MICK)
02B12

"Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool"

Offline PaulVS

• Board Homesteader!
throttle lock
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2007, 10:49:56 AM »
I've tried both the Vista and the NEP.  I like the NEP better.   :wink:

I recommend the NEP CC-2 if you have aftermarket grips and have filed off the ridge on the sleeve... I imagine the CC-4 would work just as well with OEM grips.

http://store.azmusa.com/nepcruiscon.html

Offline Nitro

• Board Homesteader!
throttle lock
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2007, 12:12:32 PM »
Thanks. I don't like the one with the separate clamp. I was leaning towards the NEP, but wasn't sure which one would work.
97 Bandit 1200S

Offline CWO4GUNNER

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • GUNNER G. CWO4 WEPS USCG Retired
throttle lock
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2007, 12:14:31 PM »
Its amazing how long the Vista has been around and how much it hasn't changed since 1987 when I first used it. It is reliable and effective but seems to needs occasional adjustment. It has always seems a little too tight when released and not quite tight enough when locked to truly lock the throttle without some creep. My only complaint is that I wish the adjustment nut on top was hand adjustable (with a wing) so you could sweet spot the adjustment while on the fly.

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
throttle lock
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2007, 05:41:28 PM »
Quote from: "CWO4GUNNER"
Its amazing how long the Vista has been around and how much it hasn't changed since 1987 when I first used it.

FWIW - It hasn't changed since the one I bought for my GS750 back in '77 either. :wink:
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline aussiebandit

• Board Homesteader!
throttle lock
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2007, 06:35:59 AM »
Quote from: "Red01"
Quote from: "CWO4GUNNER"
Its amazing how long the Vista has been around and how much it hasn't changed since 1987 when I first used it.

FWIW - It hasn't changed since the one I bought for my GS750 back in '77 either. :wink:

There's two old sayings that fit here

"If it aint broke don't fix it"

and

"When you're on to a good thing, stick with it".
AUSSIEBANDIT (MICK)
02B12

"Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool"

Offline Nitro

• Board Homesteader!
throttle lock
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2007, 07:35:05 PM »
Well the Vista Cruise 07-4045 (may be Newenough part number) won't work unless it is modified. The part that holds it steady is too short, it won't reach far enough past the grip housing (where it indexes on the throttle cable). I removed all the ridges from the throttle tube trying to get it to work, but I wouldn't trust it to work safely. It caused the throttle to bind a little, even when the Vista Cruise wasn't locked. I may have to try the NEP version.
97 Bandit 1200S

Offline billincentraljersey

• Board Homesteader!
Re: throttle lock
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2008, 11:56:59 PM »
I had the Vista Cruise for one season, cannot get it to work right.  I filed down the cam portion of the thumb switch toggle to get a better range between open and locked.  That worked.  When it is locked, it is locked.  When it is open, it is open.  Problem ... Once the bike is moving, it slowly slips.  It does not unlock, just slips.  When the bike is stationary, it I cannot twist the throttle at all.  I thought it may be because I was going up hill, but even going down hill, my speed slowy drops.  Check the grip on the throttle again, tight as it can be.  So, my only conclusion is the slippage between the steel band and the plastic ring that it grabs.  Ii cannot get it to be any tighter, even though it is already tight.  The ends of the steel band that extends out will spring bend on me so at some point, any tighter will only bend the ends toward each other without getting any tighter around the ring.
Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero
Bragging Rights:  NJ to CA in 8 Days on my B1250ABS. Not quite ADV Rider.
07 B1250ABS, 90 Kawasaki Concours, 84 Moto Guzzi V65SP, 77 Yamaha XS360, xx-77 NYC Subway