Author Topic: Throttle lock  (Read 17596 times)

Offline 06 Greyhound

• Board Homesteader!
Throttle lock
« on: September 29, 2008, 10:49:35 AM »
I was thinking about putting a throttel lock on my 1200 and I was wondering if anyone has used a Throttlemeister. 

I have a friend who added one to his Busa and he really likes it.

There is are several dealers here in town so it should be easy enough to get one and the price is not bad. 

Offline txbanditrydr

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
Re: Throttle lock
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2008, 11:36:37 AM »
 :thumb: :thumb:  Throttlemeisters are the best IMHO..... they integrate well, look good (ie: can't really even see them), reduce handlebar vibes, and work very well.  The only real downside is the price - $125.00 USD last I looked.

If you get a set do not unscrew the old bar ends completlely.... just loosen them and work the rubber insert out carefully.  If you remove the end completely you won't be able to get to the insert.
'01 B600S ... sold
'05 B1200S ... Top 20 mods... #20 through #2 - All The Usual Ones, Yada, Yada  & #1... 150,000+ Miles and Counting!!!!

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2008, 03:29:16 PM »
I have one and it's nice... but I hardly ever get to use it since the country around here isn't very flat.  (IIRC, you live in the same country, in a different Country, right?)
You'll also need to pay close attention to throttle grip installation if you've changed grips from OE, or change later.  If you get the grip on a little too far, it won't work.
If you use a good grip glue, a mistake could mean buying another set of grips.  :banghead: :duh:

FWIW, for I think the cheaper locks that you latch with a thumb are easier to use (having had one of those on a previous bike)... but they do take up grip space and aren't very good looking- especially considering the transparency of the TM.

I get the most use out of my Throttle Rocker - it allows me to have no grip at all on the bar, operating the throttle with my palm, or I can place my hand out on the large TM bar end and operate it by thumb to give my hand a break. Some folks don't like these little clip on devices and I'll admit, it does take a little getting used to.  After a day or so, I was completely sold and use it all the time.  Some prefer to rotate them out of the way for most riding and then just rotate them in place when they want to use them.

Too bad more bikes didn't come with REAL cruise control systems.  Perhaps with more bikes going to computer controlled EFI, we'll start to see more OE cruise controls?
« Last Edit: September 29, 2008, 03:44:02 PM by Red01 »
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline 06 Greyhound

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2008, 10:24:03 PM »
Excellent advice Thanks for the tips 
I could wish I could touch the $125.  By the time they cross the boarder the price jumps to $200.
I start to think I should direct order and just add the shipping. 

Offline skyrider

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2008, 01:08:41 AM »
If you get a set do not unscrew the old bar ends completlely.... just loosen them and work the rubber insert out carefully.  If you remove the end completely you won't be able to get to the insert.

+1, been there, done that!  It did give me a good excuse to head down to Sears and get one of them magnet on a stick tools...and, maybe some other stuff I "needed".

Offline Heaven Bound

• Board Homesteader!
  • Crash Test Dummy
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2008, 11:49:54 PM »
Had them on my 1200 and they worked well.  Gotta pay attention to proper adjustment when installing so that you won't be fighting the lock all the time.  It does take a little getting used to engaging.

Having said that, I'm planning to go a different route for my next setup.  I too would like a true cruise control and one of my coworkers did an installation of a vacuum operated CC from an old Ford.  I would like to get something a little more modern and will definitely shop around...
Paul D.
04 GSF1200S (Charcoal Grey)
...TRASHED

My Other Digs Bikers4Christ     Listen to KLOVE online or find a station near you.

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2008, 02:26:57 PM »
Heaven Bound -  Some folks have installed an Audiovox aftermarket automotive cruise control on their bike.
Here's a source for one, along with some links that cover installing it:
http://www.murpskits.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=2_61&products_id=69
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline PaulVS

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2008, 03:13:21 PM »
I personally like the NEP throttle lock.

Offline icemakk

• Board Homesteader!
    • My web site
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2008, 01:24:11 PM »
I get the most use out of my Throttle Rocker - it allows me to have no grip at all on the bar, operating the throttle with my palm, or I can place my hand out on the large TM bar end and operate it by thumb to give my hand a break. Some folks don't like these little clip on devices and I'll admit, it does take a little getting used to.  After a day or so, I was completely sold and use it all the time.  Some prefer to rotate them out of the way for most riding and then just rotate them in place when they want to use them.
I too use the throttle rocker. I had to shave off a bit of the wing or paddle or whatever you wish to call it to give me more room when using the throttle normally. It was catching the edge of my glove before I modified it one day at rest stop (ground it down on a piece of concrete). I can go a full tank with no numb hand and it is easy to maintain a constant speed. Just remember to take it off in areas that have little security as they are easy to steal. I am on my 3rd.
I was thinking of one of those cheap flip type locks for when I need my right hand free to work a zipper or snap I can't reach with my left but they all seem to be another thing in the way. I like the looks of the TM but the price is a bit steep. Electronic cruise would be nice but way too costly unless it was OEM
Once I thought I was wrong...but I was mistaken.

Offline Cruisecontrol

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2008, 03:04:55 AM »

+1

I smashed my right wrist a few years back and have trouble holding the throttle for long periods. I bought a throttle locker and it solved the problem instantly.
They cost a couple of dollars (literally), take seconds to install/uninstall and work like a charm.

Offline Grissom

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2008, 06:44:36 PM »
I personally like the NEP throttle lock.

Looking at those pics :trustme: get me side tracked  :bandit:

Back to the point what Bandit do you have and which NEP model did you use? Did you have to modify the NEP?
Got pics of the NEP intalled?

Thanks

Offline PaulVS

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2008, 07:10:26 PM »
Back to the point what Bandit do you have and which NEP model did you use? Did you have to modify the NEP?
Got pics of the NEP intalled?[/b]

Thanks

The model you need depends on what year Bandit you have, and whether or not you have aftermarket grips on the bike and have filed or dremeled down the ridge part of the white plastic throttle sleeve.

For a 2nd Gen Bandit, if you still have the original Suzuki grips, then you want the NEP CC-4.  If you have filed down the throttle sleeve, then the 'hole' on the CC-4 will be too big to grip the throttle sleeve.... and in that case you'll want the CC-2 model, which has a smaller diameter hole. 

I'll see if I have a pic to post of how it looks on the bike.

« Last Edit: November 30, 2008, 07:18:30 PM by PaulVS »

Offline Grissom

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2008, 07:53:22 PM »
I have an 01' 1200S with stock grips

:motorsmile:

Offline rixter66

• New user!
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2010, 01:12:07 AM »
Has anyone installed a Brakeaway throttle lock on a Bandit? A buddy has one on his VMax and loves it. Prior to owning my Bandit I had a 2003 VMax. Made the mistake of putting a cramp-buster on it, and coming into a corner went to hit the front brake. Cramp-buster got in the way and off I went down the embankment. Won't be doin that again.

Offline kvanderstel

• New user!
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2010, 01:13:17 PM »
PaulVS you said you were using the NEP CC-4 throttle lock?   According to their web site they don't support my 98 1200S.  Any suggestions?