Author Topic: Top Cases  (Read 10759 times)

Offline CWO4GUNNER

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • GUNNER G. CWO4 WEPS USCG Retired
Top Cases
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2007, 07:20:19 PM »
I think I recall a Givi Rack system that incorporates the top and side mounting plates for all three removable cases. But man the cost is ridiculously high. Personally I like the canvas saddle bags that set way back and high out of the passengers way are best. I'm not cheap but its our duty as republicans to balance value over cost and those clone Givi cases are excellent.
Quote from: "Red01"
Doesn't the Givi rack incorporate the mounting plate?

Offline Caper#5

• TURBO TYPER!
Top Cases
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2007, 01:31:00 AM »
Quote from: "ZenMan"
No offense, each to their own, nothing personal, etc. etc... BUT

I don't care how convenient, secure, efficient, or handy they are, you'll never see one of those big, ugly, bulbous barbecue grills sticking out on the back of my bike!  :annoy:

:stickpoke:  :grin:  :bandit:  :motorsmile:  :lol:

LOL, none taken! :stfu:
2005 GSF 650S

Offline rmtcook

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Top Cases
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2007, 03:45:25 PM »
Quote from: "Caper#5"

I don't care how convenient, secure, efficient, or handy they are, you'll never see one of those big, ugly, bulbous barbecue grills sticking out on the back of my bike!  :annoy:

Hey, that's OK Zen, us topcase people have obviously reached a higher plane. We are unconcerned with what other people think and value function over form. :stickpoke: And actually, I'm told that the topcase looks more like an outboard motor than a bulbous barbecue grill. Either way, my years of trying to get home with a six pack between my legs and/or walking around dragging my helmet and backpack are over!!  :banana:
Bob
2003 Naked B12
Givi A600 Windscreen
Givi E36 Topcase
Ramsey, New Jersey

Offline ZenMan

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Top Cases
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2007, 04:29:32 PM »
Quote from: "rmtcook"

Hey, that's OK Zen, us topcase people have obviously reached a higher plane. We are unconcerned with what other people think and value function over form. :stickpoke: And actually, I'm told that the topcase looks more like an outboard motor than a bulbous barbecue grill. Either way, my years of trying to get home with a six pack between my legs and/or walking around dragging my helmet and backpack are over!!  :banana:

Ha ha!  :bigok:  Well, maybe someday I will "evolve" up to your level, but for now I'll stick with using my helmet locks and a cargo net bunjee for the beer.   :bandit:  

I know they are really handy, like I said it's just a personal hang-up, each to their own. To me, they just look really awkward and bulky. They belong on scooters and Gold Wings, in my opinion. Form following function is one thing and it's not like I'm obsessed with my "image", but when I look at my bike I like to see sleek, clean lines without any giant mushrooms growing on the back. Besides, doesn't it suck in crosswinds and at high speed? Not very aerodynamic... like having a parachute on the back!  :lol:

Let me put it this way... if you bought a Ferrari would you bolt one of those big 6'x5'x4' fiberglas cargo trunks on the roof?  :lol:
"Hmmm... near certainty of death with little chance of success... what are we waiting for?"

Offline mushupork

• TURBO TYPER!
Top Cases
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2007, 04:36:26 PM »
If you have a Ferrari, your staff follows you in a pace car or limo with all the necessities like Cristal.  :stickpoke: Certainly not beer in a can!  :shock:

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
Top Cases
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2007, 04:42:50 PM »
So you changed Ferrari to Lambo?  :shrug:
[edit]And now back to Ferrari?[/edit]  :roll:
Let me put it this way... if you bought a Lambourghini would you bolt one of those big 6'x5'x4' fiberglas cargo trunks on the roof?  :lol:

But this thread, especially the above comment, reminds me of what I saw Friday on my commute home in heavy traffic. I spotted a BMW Z Roadster in one of the adjacent lanes of the freeway with a chrome luggage rack on the rear deck lid and a Samsonite looking piece of luggage mounted to it. Must have been an accessory for the rack because it clipped to the rack without any ropes/bungees.

Sure, it was no Ferrari or Lambo, but it wouldn't have looked any better on one of them either.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline rmtcook

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Top Cases
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2007, 05:52:07 PM »
Let me put it this way... if you bought a Ferrari would you bolt one of those big 6'x5'x4' fiberglas cargo trunks on the roof?  :lol:

If I loved driving my Ferrari as much as I love riding my Bandit, yes. I look for every opportunity to ride that I can get. When the wife says, "dear, would you mind running to the store for" whatever, my helmet is in my hand before she can finish the sentence!! I've got to go out to Home Depot tonight to pick up a new sink for the bathroom. I'm trying to figure out how I can bungee it to the wingrack!! :motorsmile: I want to ride it, not look at it!  :lol:
Bob
2003 Naked B12
Givi A600 Windscreen
Givi E36 Topcase
Ramsey, New Jersey

Offline ZenMan

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Top Cases
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2007, 06:23:22 PM »
I've got to go out to Home Depot tonight to pick up a new sink for the bathroom. I'm trying to figure out how I can bungee it to the wingrack!! :motorsmile:

What, it won't fit in your topcase? Sounds like you need a bigger one.  :lol:

I want to ride it, not look at it!  :lol:

Go ahead, I'm not stopping you. :roll:  But if you get passed by a sleek black Bandit with a case of beer bunjeed on the back, and you see my shoulders shaking, it's not from coughing!  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
"Hmmm... near certainty of death with little chance of success... what are we waiting for?"

Offline rmtcook

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Top Cases
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2007, 08:10:46 AM »
LOL! OK, I give up, you win!! Happy Riding! :lol:
Bob
2003 Naked B12
Givi A600 Windscreen
Givi E36 Topcase
Ramsey, New Jersey

Offline ZenMan

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Top Cases
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2007, 11:13:36 AM »
LOL! OK, I give up, you win!! Happy Riding! :lol:

Aww! Don't give up! It's all in fun anyway...  :bigok:

Tell ya what, we go riding and I'll buy the beer to put in your topcase. Those things hold ice too, right? Very handy!  :bandit:  :motorsmile:

Offline SteelD

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • Route 66 in 2010
Top Cases
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2007, 11:45:08 AM »

Ha ha!  :bigok:  Well, maybe someday I will "evolve" up to your level, but for now I'll stick with using my helmet locks and a cargo net bunjee for the beer.   :bandit:  

I know they are really handy, like I said it's just a personal hang-up, each to their own. To me, they just look really awkward and bulky. They belong on scooters and Gold Wings, in my opinion. Form following function is one thing and it's not like I'm obsessed with my "image", but when I look at my bike I like to see sleek, clean lines without any giant mushrooms growing on the back. Besides, doesn't it suck in crosswinds and at high speed? Not very aerodynamic... like having a parachute on the back!  :lol:

After riding bikes with side cases and top cases, I know which I prefer. Side cases are look smarter but trickier to load when fitted, make the bike wider and thus trickier to lane-split and keep getting scuffed when swinging your leg over to get aboard. A top case is quite practical.

As for the Ferrari analogy - I'd go along with that if I were to fit a top case to a GSX but the Bandit is not a GSX. It's more a reliable, practical work horse where a top case is just as much a practicality as the taller bars. The good thing about a decent case is that it should be a cinch to remove it when not needed and easy to replace when you need a bit of storage space. Besides, a top case gives my missus a sense of security and when fitted with a back rest means she is comfy too.
David
Bandit 1250SAK7 Graphite Metallic Blue (YLE)

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
Top Cases
« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2007, 03:02:22 PM »
Sadly for 49 of our 50 states, the lane splitting part means nothing. Only California allows splitting. :sad:
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline SteelD

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • Route 66 in 2010
Top Cases
« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2007, 03:06:52 PM »
Quote from: "Red01"
Sadly for 49 of our 50 states, the lane splitting part means nothing. Only California allows splitting. :sad:

In the UK it is done. The regulations are a little vague in this area but even the Brits are conservative compared to the French in Paris. They zoom along the Peripherique (the ring round around Paris), splitting lanes and darting between lanes at anything up to 40mph faster than the cagers around them. It's frightening to see them do it.
David
Bandit 1250SAK7 Graphite Metallic Blue (YLE)

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
Top Cases
« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2007, 03:09:28 PM »
I saw that when I was in Paris last year... don't think I saw anyone going 40 faster than the rest. It was about like what you'd see on any of the freeways around Los Angeles though. Just a LOT more scooters in Paris than in LA.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline mushupork

• TURBO TYPER!
What luggage rack did people buy?
« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2007, 05:23:32 PM »
JC Whitney has a case I'd like to get ... Click Here
... it comes with a mounting plate and they are having a sale - but my Bandit has no luggage rack to mount it to.  This is a 2000 (1G) B12.

What does anyone recommend for a luggage rack?  Trying to find an OEM rack online hasn't worked.  I did find this site ... Click here
 ... but $120 for the rack seems too much when the case is $70 :-)

Thanks for any help.