Author Topic: Rear deck mounting plate for trunk/backrest. Want one?  (Read 7842 times)

Offline sitler

• TURBO TYPER!
Rear deck mounting plate for trunk/backrest. Want one?
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2006, 08:42:37 PM »
The bar attached to the upper frame is slotted so that it will slide upwards when the swingarm is compressed thus maintaining an unchanged hitch height (I learned this after a trial and...).

After viewing Red's pictures of the rear hand grab mounting bracket failure and taking into account the physics involved, I believe the failure was caused a passenger's weight being multiplied backward into the trunk by the driver's acceleration beyond that of a little old lady heading out to church.

I'm fully confident that without a passenger the trunk will be fine regardless of the speed or acceleration (so long as the trunk isn't overloaded), but since I occasionally may have one, I'm creating a 6 point mounting system for trunk and side luggage. Don't hold your breath though as my truck's oil pump has gone out (hopefully that is all).

Offline sitler

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2006, 09:00:23 PM »
That's it??? Nothing but criticism? I admit I haven't seen hardly any the the member's bikes but is it that commonplace for Bandit owners to trick out their bikes like I have as fast as I have? Nobody has touched my bike but me since I got it bone stock from the dealer last August. This was my FIRST vinyl job!

That's okay though. I've gotten some local criticism too. Would you believe some people actually like the stock look??? But you might imagine the rubber necking I get when people see a trailer behind a sports bike.

Offline sitler

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2006, 09:02:20 PM »
Is there one other Bandit owner in the world who has a driver backrest?

Offline jlmoulto

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2006, 09:02:29 PM »
I like the trailer idea and a friend has recently added one to his FZ1...pretty sweet I might add.  How does the bike tow with it?

Offline sitler

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2006, 09:34:29 PM »
The trailer fishtails with negative tongue weight which causes the bike to wobble a bit but with the lion's share of the load forward of the axle, I can get on it like there was nothing there and even forget there is. The trailer can carry 500 lbs. but I haven't had more than 100 on it.

Offline Daytona

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2006, 01:12:04 PM »
Hey sitler! I specially like the Rebar for the back rest! The duct tape of metal fabricating! But to do that too such a sporty/trick/ sweet/looking bandit!!! I have a 2001 intruder with less than 6k miles on it that does that stuff much better! Want to trade? I live across the sand bar from ya! Did ya see my riggins with rebar? Some slammed me for em others wanted a set, for nothing of course!! Good luck But the trailer bracket hook up does look suspect too swing arm movement!! Please be safe!! :beers:

Offline Pillage

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2006, 06:29:58 PM »
I like the rear rack.  I wish you had a 1G.
FZ1000S,  GSF1200SV,  CB750F
Support the Avon Walk for Breast Cancer

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2006, 08:35:31 PM »
Quote from: "sitler"
Is there one other Bandit owner in the world who has a driver backrest?

I've got a backrest for the pass. Closest I've got is the butt berm on my Corbin. Given my own posture on my bike, I don't know that I'd get much benefit out of a real backrest.

When I had my GS750, it had a luggage rack with an adjustable backrest that served me well when riding solo across the US,
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline sitler

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2006, 09:45:17 AM »
If I didn't have the bar risers, I doubt if I would even feel the backrest but since I do, it does give noticable lower back support.  When I get on it, I really feel it holding me.  It isn't really needed for the short hops I usually take but it just slides in and out of the trunk mounting plate with no fasteners at all.  The main thing I like about the mods is that my bike is UNIQUE!  :beers: