Author Topic: Magnetic Oil Drain Plug  (Read 4084 times)

Offline Dave 02 1200

• Board Homesteader!
Magnetic Oil Drain Plug
« on: June 08, 2007, 10:56:33 AM »
I just received my magnetic drain plug from magneticdrainplug.com and I am very impressed!

It is well made and the magnet is GORILLA STRONG! The stock Suzuki magnetic drain plug is very weak by comparison.

Now I have absolute confidence that any ferrous shavings or chips in the oil will be attracted to the magnet and held firmly until the next oil change.

This seems especially important in a design like the Bandit where the same oil lubricates the motor and the transmission.

In my opinion, this is a "must have" item for those of us who plan to keep our Bandits and accululate high mileage.

I am so impressed with this product that I am ordering magnetic drain plugs for all my vehicles.
Busa Shock
HS Stage 1 Jet Kit
Superbike Bars with Bar End Mirrors
Kriss Headlight Modulator

Offline Sven

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
  • Drop the puck!
    • My site is always under renovation!
Magnetic Oil Drain Plug
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2007, 07:48:03 PM »
Whadit cost?
2003 Suzuki Bandit 1200S | el Bandido de Cerceta | the teal bandit
2010 Yamaha FJR1300A | Gin Tama | the silver bullet
2002 Honda CRV | the dirt-colored car

Offline Vlad

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Magnetic Oil Drain Plug
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2007, 01:59:35 AM »
You can get the same effect by sticking a NIB (Neodimium-Iron-Boron) magnet to your oil filter. You can find them in any dollar store (usually on fridge magnets and other similar gadgets) or just cannibalize an old hard drive (my favorite source).

I wouldn't reed too much into the importance of that little magnet though. If anything visible manages to pass the oil filter and gets stuck to the magnet the chances are your engine is in serious trouble. Besides, magnet won't catch Aluminum or stainless steel shavings.
Vlad lives in Toronto, Canada and rides http://bandit.xxc.cc

Offline Dave 02 1200

• Board Homesteader!
Magnetic Oil Drain Plug
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2007, 11:15:22 AM »
I remain convinced that a strong magnet in the sump is a good thing.  I already have a Filter-Mag on my oil filter but a strong sump magnet will catch particles before they go through the oil pump to the filter.

Even after installing the Filter-Mag I have noticed that there are small particles attached to the stock magnetic drain plug when I change my oil.  Suzuki would not have put it there if they did not feel the benefit offset the cost.

My feeling is that if a relatively weak stock drain plug magnet is good, a super strong one must be better.  

I'll let you know what I find on it at my next oil change.
Busa Shock
HS Stage 1 Jet Kit
Superbike Bars with Bar End Mirrors
Kriss Headlight Modulator

Offline Vlad

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Magnetic Oil Drain Plug
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2007, 11:50:03 AM »
One thing is certain: It cannot hurt anything except maybe your wallet, and that's more than I can say for many other "enhancements" out there.

Keep us posted on the results, i.e. how much steel shavings you find on the next oil change. Also, I suggest to run a strong magnet through the drained (used) oil to see if anything was missed by all those other magnets.
Vlad lives in Toronto, Canada and rides http://bandit.xxc.cc