Author Topic: Joe Rocket SPORT Tankbag  (Read 4768 times)

Offline mike

• Board Homesteader!
Joe Rocket SPORT Tankbag
« on: March 12, 2005, 08:09:23 PM »
Quote from: "Red01"
I've been using this tankbag since I first bought my bike back in the Spring of '01. It has held up very nicely. One of the things I like about it is it is two tank bags in one.  The lower half is essentially the JR Blaster bag without the Blaster's expansion feature. Both the upper & lower halves have a map pocket, which makes the lower handy for those times when you need a little cargo space, but don't want a big bag on the tank.  You can't use the upper bag as a tankbag without the lower, but the upper cames with backpack straps if you ever wanted to use it in that manner... though I haven't. It comes with a rain cover, but I've only had to use it once (for ~100 miles), and seemed to work & hold up OK behind the fairing of the Bandit. It would be too big and possibly be a bit distracting to use on just the lower bag.

It is a magnetic bag, so you don't want to carry your floppy discs or credit cards or other magnetically sensitive items in the lower bag, but the upper bag should be fine.  I will admit to carrying my debit card in the lower bag, slid between the bag and the plasitc stiffener and that hasn't seemed to cause any ill effects to the card... it still runs out of money just as fast as always.

Upper & lower bags zipped together:

Zipped apart:

Inside of upper bag:

Joe Rocket MSRP's the bag at $99 and that's what I paid for it from a local dealer - before I realized there were LOTS of places online that sell JR stuff at a discount.  Still, I feel it is a better bag than the magnetic Marsee bag I owned for ~10 minutes that cost me more.  The Marsee flew over the handlebars when I had to make a panic stop because of some idiot in a cage shortly after I left the shop where I had bought it. I immediately turned around and returned it! The JR bag has never moved, no matter which config it was in and no motter how stuffed or empty it was.  The lower bag has proven to hang on just fine at speeds >155 mph indicated and in the big bag mode has seen at least 140. (It's kind of hard to tuck much with the big bag on, so you don't go as fast with it on.)

After checking discounters such as http://www.newenough.com for their latest discounted prices, you might also want to check out the Motorbags TR901 Tank Bag/Backpack that sells for $49.99... it looks almost identical to the JR Sport - but is supposedly made out of 1000 Cordura instead of the 600 of the JR and can be used as a magnetic or strap style.

Offline Kamzilla

• Board Homesteader!
Joe Rocket SPORT Tankbag
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2005, 02:16:41 PM »
Has anyone gotten the Motorbags version of the Joe Rocket Sport?  Just wondering how they compare?
Kamil
Formerly a '96 B6S - Now owned by steel96

1999 Honda VFR

Offline sloper10

• Board Homesteader!
magnetic...
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2005, 02:44:30 PM »
Good review, but thanks and a hat tip for pointing out something that I should have realized previously.  Do not carry magnetic sensitive media in a magnetic tank bag.  I had my Sony 828 in my Cortech Mini a few times with no ill effects but from now on it lives in the tailbag....
2007 Kawasaki KLR650...good fun..

2005 Turbo Hayabusa....pushing 400hp...sometimes a scary ride...

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
Joe Rocket SPORT Tankbag
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2005, 07:39:58 PM »
From what I've been able to discern, devices that use flash cards are safe in a magnetic tank bag. It's floppy discs and your cards with magnetic reader strips (credit cards, employee badges, gate cards) that you want to keep away from magnets.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)