Author Topic: another fork question  (Read 21757 times)

Offline Farre

• Board Homesteader!
another fork question
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2006, 04:40:30 PM »
i did it!
very very hectic day, couldn't take any pics.. my planning got really screwed up, the bolts didn't want to get loose with that trick, so i went to the garage, and they let me use their tools! I finished just in time, they were closing shop..

So now, in short, i have transplanted the GSXR400inner tubes with the springs and dampers into the outer tubes from the b4.
First impression, waaaaayy better, much more stiff. So much better in corners, but not good on a bit rougher terrain (sttrong bumps and such).
I do have one question.. The load and rebound looks really really strange compared to the B4 b4 (:-P).
It almost feels like there's a bubble of air inside. The travel is not much, but pulling the fork up goes reall easy, is this normal, Jay? or anybody else that knows stuff about GSXR400's

All in all, i'm very proud i did it (mostly) myself. And i have to admit that without you guys i would have lost much more money and still didn't get as far as this. You guys RULE!!  :thanks:  :banana:  :banana:
Alex
'91 B4 almost bone stock:
GK73 Inner forks& Springs
B6 Rear Shock

Offline gsxr400 racer

• I find things for a small fee....
  • Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • For all your disc golf needs...maybe i can race again someday.lol
another fork question
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2006, 12:06:52 AM »
so what you are saying is you have alot of static sag when the bike just sites you can lift up on it alot from were the bike sites on its own weight?
1988 gsxr 400 sp (sprint bike)
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.
has been a wera expert #610 lol

Offline Farre

• Board Homesteader!
another fork question
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2006, 04:41:06 AM »
yes, not much going down, but much going up, so when i pull the bike upwards.
The adjustment things are amost completely turned in, on the second ring counted from the end
Alex
B6 Rear Shock

Offline gsxr400 racer

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
another fork question
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2006, 05:35:09 PM »
take the fork off and the cap extend the fork all the way. measure the gap minus the fork cap and preload the spring 10mm and then add 10 more cc's of fork oil 10 wt.
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.

Offline sirdarkheart

• Board Homesteader!
another fork question
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2006, 05:48:11 PM »
Dude,
   Brian M great write up! I just saw this... great pictures too !
Thank u!

Offline Farre

• Board Homesteader!
another fork question
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2006, 07:15:15 PM »
hmm, i didn't have much time and i filled them each with about 480ml each and 15wt... quite strong yeah  :roll:  how could i know? but i'm not complaining. I'll increase the preload and assemble it again.. perhaps that's it.. i'll keep you posted
 :thanks:
Alex
B6 Rear Shock

Offline gsxr400 racer

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
another fork question
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2006, 10:04:41 PM »
cool no problem, 15 wt just slows the rebound and stiffens the compression some.