Author Topic: Carb Problems: Watch Those O-rings  (Read 9788 times)

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
Carb Problems: Watch Those O-rings
« on: March 11, 2005, 10:21:01 PM »
Carb Problems: Watch those O-rings
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
tl1000sv
(6/11/01 12:07 am)
carb problems with gsf400

I'm putting together a Bandit 400 for my wife and am having some issues with carburetion. I just can't get the idle circuit to behave. It wants to race like it's too lean, and then drops down to about 300rpm and eventually dies.

The throttle response is really abrupt if you try to ride it off idle, although it otherwise carburetes beautifully.

I'm no carb expert, but I have cleaned them up, set the float bowl levels, synched and tried turning out the idle mixture screws - the screws didn't seem to have much impact. There are no vacuum leaks that I can detect.

Anyone have any idea what direction I should go now?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Fitz Racing
(6/11/01 7:33 pm)
Carb Problem

Sounds like you did the right things. Did you plug the vacuum hose the petcock when you synced the carbs? It sounds like a air leak or out of sync carbs. Did you take out the pilot jets and make sure they were not plugged? Did you make sure you didn't loose the o'rings under the vacuum slide covers? Good luck.

Chad

tl1000sv
(6/19/01 11:27 pm)
update

I tried the "carb cleaner around the carbs while running" trick and discovered there was an intake leak due to missing vacuum tap O-rings on all four of the carbs. Suzuki wants $3 apiece for them, but at least it's a solution. I guess someone else thought they weren't necessary, and I didn't notice their absence during the previous disassembly.

Sometimes I guess it's harder to discover the easy problems! Thanks for the feedback.
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7