Author Topic: CDI Repair  (Read 21258 times)

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
CDI Repair
« on: April 11, 2005, 09:03:54 AM »
I'd like to get an FAQ together documetning folks' experience repairing their ignitor themselves.  That "Spark doesn't show" thread has gotten really long and confusing.  So if you've ripped into your black box, please post what you've done and the results in this thread.  In a week or two, I'll move it over to the FAQ.  

Please, no questions in this thread - I just want to document what people have done.

THANKS!
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline matthew

• New user!
CDI Repair
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2005, 11:44:02 PM »
Thanks to this forum I fixed my broken ignitor for $4.  

I went down to Radio Shack and picked up two 10uF 50V caps and two 47uF 35V caps.  I changed them out and was amazed that it worked beautifully.

I talked to one of my electrical engineering professors and he said he'd recommend getting some higher quality caps than the ones radio shack sells.  I may eventually look into that but for now I'm just happy to see those plugs spark.

Offline banditcilik

• Board Homesteader!
CDI Repair
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2005, 03:58:07 AM »
My bike was always difficult to start. I splitted the digital ignitor box, cleaned the goo on the circuit board and I replaced two 10uF/50V caps with the same nichicon. Now the bike's always live on first crank.

Offline Bandit

• Board Homesteader!
CDI Repair
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2005, 11:05:11 AM »
I desolder the final transistor on the board made by Hitachi Semiconductors A175C, going to check with my local elctronic store to see what is the replacment part. Hopefully it will work this time, as I have already replace 5 capacitors and 2 transistor already.
B4 Mod: K&N crankcase & air filter;gsxr750 rear shock;grounding wire;gsxr400 blinkers;Super 4 mirrors;fork protector;chain oiler;Hel front brake hose;Kappa windshield;Givi maxia box;fan/ headlight/hazard light switch;Stebel horn

Offline vespaed

• First Post! Be Gentle!
CDI Repair
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2005, 10:11:10 AM »
My spark was giving me trouble for a long time. Hard to start on cooler days then no spark at all. I cut the CDI box open, changed the four capacitors and I had spark.
Ed
Western Pa
Lover of all Things Mechanical

Offline Bandit

• Board Homesteader!
CDI Repair
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2005, 09:14:28 PM »
No luck for my spare CDI, all the caps and transistor are change and my bike doesn;t fire up.
B4 Mod: K&N crankcase & air filter;gsxr750 rear shock;grounding wire;gsxr400 blinkers;Super 4 mirrors;fork protector;chain oiler;Hel front brake hose;Kappa windshield;Givi maxia box;fan/ headlight/hazard light switch;Stebel horn

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
CDI Repair
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2005, 06:39:53 AM »
bubbazenetty
New user!

Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 10:05 pm    Post subject:      

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is the link I used: http://forums.banditalley.net/viewtopic.php?t=431&highlight=cdi

http://forums.banditalley.net/viewtopic.php?t=453&start=45&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=cdi

I just cut the box open and went to a local electrical shop, and bought the transisters and capaciters ($20), then had a guy working there remove the old stuff and install the new stuff ($40). - Make sure they orientate the capaciters Correctly.

Cap-se 1050 10UF/50V heat reated - 150Dc (You'll need 2 of these)
Cap-se 47-35 47UF/35V heat reated - 85Dc (You'll need 2 of these)

Transisters :http://www.donberg.ie/descript/2/2sd798.htm (you'll need 2 of these)

I used part# BU806( identical to the 2SD798)

Also replace the capacitor next to the big chip. Part#10uF25v (85deg c) - (1pc near the kokusan).

Good luck.
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7