Author Topic: Chain Problems/Info  (Read 8863 times)

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
Chain Problems/Info
« on: March 11, 2005, 09:55:43 PM »
Chain Problems/Info
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DjSuperfly
(7/4/01 5:30 pm)
chain problems...

Recently I've noticed that my chain was saggin' pretty bad...so I atempted to tighten it up a bit...and still after some ridin', it starts to sag. I figured I am in need of a new chain soon. Here's the problem... my chain growls and grinds pretty bad... and now there is this wierd red powder flaking onto my bike around the chain area... its not coming from the painted part of the bike... has me confused... I was wondering if you guys knew how dangerous it would be to ride with a chain that is growling and making obviously lound grinding noises... I was figuring that I could get to and from work for the next couple days but I would have to massage the throttle... abrupt acceleration could break the chain or some sprocket teeth...???... your opinions on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Also... I was told our beloved Bandits have a 14 tooth front and a 47 tooth rear (1991 models) and I read we have a #525 114 link chain... I was pondering the thought of possibly going to a 13th tooth front... has anyone done this... or changed their back sprocket...?... if so, did you have to change the chain # and length...?... and if so, how much money did it run you... any brand recommendations...?... once again, thanks for any help...

Bao

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bandit14E
(7/4/01 6:23 pm)
down 3 teeth in the rear

I have a Vortex 44 tooth sprocket on my Bandit. The chain is a Regina O-ring chain. I'm sure the acceleration isn't as hard as before, but I like the idea of holding gears longer. It is very good for getting on to the freeway.

DjSuperfly
(7/11/01 10:58 pm)
$$$$...????

How much did the Regina O-ring cost you...and whats the life expactancy of Regina chains...?

Thanks

Bandit14E
(7/11/01 11:09 pm)
not sure about the price

The chain was on the bike when I bought it.
I haven't had any problems with it yet. I clean and re-lube it once a month: WD-40, and chain wax. I don't abuse it very often either. Just an ocassional wheelie. If you keep the chain lubed and do not abuse it, you can expect a long life for any chain. I learned this from reading a tech article at:

http://www.motorcycle.com

chuck123
(7/29/01 1:57 am)
chain problem

Actually I have the same problem with my chain, it grinds. I think it's a bit loose. I was wondering, how much should you tighten it by?

cheers

DjSuperfly
(7/29/01 7:43 pm)
mine was...

Mine was tighten so that there was about 1 notch left... but it kept on loosening up when I took a passenger... the most you wanna go is about 2 or so notches away with it not loosening up on you... if it does... its about time to get a new one... one thing to check is the round ring between the two sides of the chain... take a screw driver and see if that is seperating or loose. You could slide mine back and forth... so it wasn't retaining any of the oil in it.

Bao

Miles321
(8/1/01 6:34 pm)
Red Stuff

If you are getting red dust around your chain area, it is a combination of two things: A) Rust from the internal races primarily, and B) your o-rings disintegrating. If you chain makes a loud "Chain-link fence" kind of sound when you grab it and shake it, you are Waaaaaaay beyond the point of "possibly" changing it. You need to get off your bike, gently park it, and walk to the nearest chain dealer and buy a new one. Cant stress enough how important chain lubrication after every ride is. Most manufacturers recommend it, but it should be a rule. I've seen 3 situations where chains have broken in mid-ride. One was not pretty at all. I still miss him (Get my drift!)

Check your chains, kids!

Miles
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7