Author Topic: First attempt at a carb clean/ring replacement...  (Read 26353 times)

Offline GooseMan

• Board Homesteader!
    • http://www.soundwerksaudio.com
First attempt at a carb clean/ring replacement...
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2007, 02:29:09 PM »
Oh man.....I dont think I'll ever attempt to do a carb clean!  :shock:  I somehow managed to do a valve clearance check...which seems to be a piece of cake compared to this!

Sucks...because I know my bike needs a carb clean!  :duh:
1991 Bandit 400

Offline jodyvan

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2007, 02:52:21 PM »
Actually with the info that Jay has provided it's not that hard. I thought it'd be way bigger job then it is. When my kits get here it shouldn't be so bad really.

Just follow the steps, take pictures where necessary (I took lots just to be sure even if I don't use them I have them) and get the parts back where they came from.

With the help I've gotten so far it's no worries!
91 Bandit GSF400VM Japan import

Offline gsxr400 racer

• I find things for a small fee....
  • Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • For all your disc golf needs...maybe i can race again someday.lol
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2007, 04:49:40 PM »
good thats what i like to hear dont forget to use lube lol
1988 gsxr 400 sp (sprint bike)
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.
has been a wera expert #610 lol

Offline jodyvan

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2007, 05:14:28 PM »
You bet... lots of white lube that you mentioned... does it have to be that lube? When I did my oil change I picked up some lube the guy at the shop gave me which is some general purpose lube I guess with the Castrol logo on it. (Shows you what a mechanic I am...Booya)

Offline jodyvan

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2007, 05:56:27 PM »
So I am pretty sure I have everything in my head until the emulsion tube part and drilling. Also I've included some photos to maybe clarify the main jet part for me. My main jet is the large Brass screw in the middle of the float assembly is that correct?

The Emulsion tube is the Beige thing wedged down in the top?

EDIT: Ok I think I got the most of it down pat in analyzing my own pictures to find what I'm looking for. What is it I'm looking for on the slides though with them being shiny? I need to replace them or should I try cleaning them with carb cleaner?

Offline gsxr400 racer

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2007, 06:45:26 PM »
how you are going to put that back together i don't know you should not have taken the carb off the bank of four they stay all hooked together the only things you take off are the float bowls , jets , carb tops and carb slides or diaphragms.

In the third pic you can see at the bottom of the pic in the middle is where the fuel screw is at some times this is factory plugged cause they don't want the customer messing with it. But to do a proper clean the mechanic is to drill this plug out and replace it when done none replace them so most are open like yours just unscrew the fuel screw and there is a screw a spring a washer and a oring in there.

3rd and 4th pick wiggle the orange looking think out pull straight up and wiggle easy.
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.

Offline jodyvan

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2007, 06:55:55 PM »
The carb is back on the bank. Those are photos from when I took it apart to show you how dirty it was. After you so delicately told me to get it back on the bank it has been replaced.  :duh:  Told you I was a newb in the mechanics dept.

I haven't started to take them all apart yet because I want to wait until the kits are here so I can take them apart then put it back together right away.

I understand the big brass screw is the main jet with the number on it (which should have a plug over it but it doesn't correct?) and just below and to the right (in the pic) is the pilot jet under the black plug yes?

Is the beige thing the emulsion tube that I pull out from the top? Can I see on those photos where to stick the end of a drill bit to get it out?

I understand all the way up to getting the float assembly out and the main jet out. I am pretty sure i can get the pilot jets out too.

From there on is a little fuzzy. Just need to read it and get into it to understand what I'm looking at I think.

Offline gsxr400 racer

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2007, 07:07:31 PM »
Quote from: "jodyvan"
The carb is back on the bank. Those are photos from when I took it apart to show you how dirty it was. After you so delicately told me to get it back on the bank it has been replaced.  :duh:  Told you I was a newb in the mechanics dept. COOL

I haven't started to take them all apart yet because I want to wait until the kits are here so I can take them apart then put it back together right away. IC
I understand the big brass screw is the main jet with the number on it (which should have a plug over it but it doesn't correct?) NO Just the pilot has the plug over it and just below and to the right (in the pic) is the pilot jet under the black plug yes?Once you pull the float assembly off you will see the plug and under the lug is the pilotIs the beige thing the emulsion tube that I pull out from the top?Thats the slide holder and also holds the brass emulsion tube Can I see on those photos where to stick the end of a drill bit to get it out? After you take the main jet out stick it right where the main jet wasand push towards the beige
I understand all the way up to getting the float assembly out and the main jet out. I am pretty sure i can get the pilot jets out too.

From there on is a little fuzzy. Just need to read it and get into it to understand what I'm looking at I think.

Cheers Jay

Offline jodyvan

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2007, 07:59:45 PM »
OHhhhhh..... Ok the tapered brass tube on the slide is the emulsion tube.....  :duh:

:bigok:

It's all coming together now... Once the kits are here and my man pants are back from the cleaners I'll be ready to rip. Lets hope I don't forget everything by then...  :lol:

Cheers Jay thanks for the help one more time.

:motorsmile:

Offline gsxr400 racer

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2007, 10:15:26 PM »

its down in there

but you push it out from the other end where you took the main jet off

Offline gsxr400 racer

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2007, 11:55:26 PM »
I take it it didnt show up before the weekend

Offline jodyvan

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2007, 12:27:43 PM »
Oh man... The carb kits were shipped out on Aug 22nd. All tracking information from USPS say only that they were dropped off in Smyrna Beach FL. Nothing since. I have contacted both USPS and Canada Post and no one knows where they are.

The parts you shipped cleared customs yesterday so I should see them today or tomorrow sometime I'd imagine which sounds about right.

No idea what I'll do about the carb kits though.... The saga continues.

Offline jodyvan

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2007, 02:31:51 PM »
Well wouldn't you know it the carb kits showed up this morning. Going to make the attempt tonight to rip them apart. I'm sure I'll be posting or email you about something Jay. I have all the info I can printed out so here goes!!!

Won't be able to start the bike till the cover gets here anyways so I have a day or two. :D

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2007, 11:47:31 PM »
Good luck bro and a big friggin cheers to Jay.  Hall of fame posting going on in this thread by the big (little!) guy.   :clap:
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline jodyvan

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2007, 08:35:05 PM »
Agreed Pitter agreed ..... Cheers Jay. Can't tell you how grateful I am for the help.:clap::bigok::clap:

Thanks for the luck We'll see how she goes........