Author Topic: Good Post on Oil and Shifting Smoothness  (Read 8901 times)

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
Good Post on Oil and Shifting Smoothness
« on: March 11, 2005, 10:22:43 PM »
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
steveg
Gear linkage adjustment

I have noticed over the last week or so that the gear change is getting clunky when going up through the box. Does anyone out there know the correct way to adjust the linkage to smooth things out?. The linkage is, I think, the standard B4 setup. Thanks to anyone who replys.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Miles321
Gear Linkage Prob

Did you by chance change the oil recently? Or alternatively, have you not changed it in awhile?

Two minor things might save a costly repair. If the oil has been changed recently to a synthetic such as Motul 5100, you will notice a "Notchy, Non-smooth" shifting action. Dave Wolman, Pres of Motul USA has been a long time friend of my motorcycle club and me. He has taught me a great deal about friction-proofing. If you are using a synthetic, there is a chance of the notchy feelings. Not to worry, Dave says, as everything is well-protected. You are just getting more feedback  

The other alternative is too-long a time from the last oil-change. Viscosity breakdown will feel the same, but with much worse consequences awaiting. If you are suspectful of either of these scenarios, simply try changing the oil. I use Golden Spectro (Sorry Dave) and have had great results. This shifting notchiness is more pronounced in more powerful bikes

(My TL1000 would not only be notchy, but the synthetic oil would actually allow the clutch to slip a little, due to A) weak stock clutch springs, and B)Torque combined with a really slick oil)

Beyond this, if that didn't work, THEN I would look at the engaging dogs. They could be just worn from years of wear. It happens  

But try the cheap solution first. I know some guys say Automotive Oil is just fine for your bike. The fact is, it really isn't. Oil is engineered to certain specifications (YES, IT REALLY IS "ENGINEERED FOR TODAY'S SMALLER CARS" IN SOME INSTANCES). Motorcycle oil is no different. Motorcycle Oil viscosity weight is measured on a different scale than Automotive viscosities. Not necessarily by specific weight variances, but by other factors. If this is truly the case, than why aren't we putting in that super-sweet fully synthetic juice in our high-revving 4 cylinder cars? Because its NOT MADE for cars! Just as car oil isnt made for bikes. OK, enough preaching.

Ride Long and Prosperous

-Miles
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2005, 10:23:38 PM »
vcook
(6/8/01 4:49 pm)
Oil change?

Anyone know what the recommended oil is and how much of it is needed? Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

thanks
vcook
Miles321
(6/8/01 4:58 pm)
Oil Change

I use Golden Spectro 15w/50. But, it can make a difference on where you live and average temps. I live in Southern California. Where do you live?
gsf 400
(6/8/01 5:43 pm)
Re: Oil change?

I have just done an oil, filters and plug change on my bike today, i used 2.3 litres of motul 5100 10w40, i found this oil the best one so far it seems to help the gear changes no end.

Tom
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7