Author Topic: GSXR Shock Swaps  (Read 13056 times)

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
GSXR Shock Swaps
« on: March 11, 2005, 09:06:21 PM »
GSXR Shock Swaps
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ravanelli
(3/6/01 11:01 am)
Replacement Shock

Can someone confirm what other bikes have shocks that fit the b4? Your past posts suggest that 88-92 GSXR 750 shocks fit. It's not clear which GSXR 1100 shocks fit, or any others. Thanks.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hammer117
(3/7/01 9:21 am)
Shocks that'll fit

I know the years you mentioned of the GSXR750 will fit. Those years for the 1100 will fit as well. A shock from the same years (or close) from a RF600/900 will fit as well. And a Katana 600/750 (possibly 1100)
will fit also. The only shock I have put on my B4 has been a '92 GSXR750 shock, and an Ohlins shock for a '88-'91 GSXR750. The other shocks were put on my old GS500 racebike. The GS and the B4 have the same mounts and the shocks are almost the same length. So whatever fits a GS500 should bolt up to a B4 (the key word here is "SHOULD"). You really shouldn't be concerned about the new shock being a little bit longer. This will improve your ground clearance while cornering. I really wouldn't get a shock that is any shorter, though. I've got a GSXR750 and a GSXR1100 shock in my shop if you are interested.

Shane

ravanelli
(3/7/01 11:44 am)
Re: Replacement Shock

Thanks Shane,

Would I need to replace the spring on those shocks to compensate for any weight differences between bikes?

ravanelli
(3/7/01 2:47 pm)

Also, is a stock GSXR shock a significant improvement over the stock b4 shock? Thanks.

Lizardking
(3/7/01 11:59 pm)

In a word, YES

The stock B4 shock is not really adjustable, other than spring preload (which doesn't change the rate of motion, just the weight at which it starts moving). It is also not rebuildable.

If you can find a GSXR rear, and want great performance cheap, look into a Race tech valve kit... Race Tech's my front and back and it is damn amazing.

ravanelli
(3/8/01 11:54 pm)

OK, looks like I'm going this route. I've got a buddy who can get me the shock for next to nothing (I appreciate the offer anyway, Shane). How much did the Race Tech upgrades cost you, Lizardking (that's got to be a Mr. Mojo Risin reference, right)? I'll probably just do the rear if it's reasonable. I just had the fork seals redone and have to try not to go broke on this thing (even though it's go to be the most fun investment I'll make this year). Also, does anyone have comments on performance with the GSXR 750 shock, no spring or valve changes. Also, does anyone know what the nitrogen canister is supposed to fill to (or does it just say on the canister?) Thanks for the help, guys.

Lizardking
(3/9/01 2:36 am)

Well, as much as my Bandit excites me, it doesnt exactly get my Mojo Risin. But, yes, its a JM reference of sorts.

I actually got the race tech valve kit for free...and as I was bored one day, I installed it... I think the back runs $150 and the front cartridge emulators run $100 (US). I'd recommend the front... helps with front end dive when braking.

BUT, as I said, I got it for free, and the stock shock is definitly adequate. You've got to remember, Shane's a racer and obvoiusly picky with his equipment; Ohlin's is the way to go if you have a huge bankroll though... or the need for a superior damper. The stock GSXR shock is definitly worlds better than the stock Bandit one. I first mailed Shane when he was selling his stock one, because I thought mine was broken it was so bad... turns out they are just crap.

My opinion, replace the rear shock with a stock GSXR shock and see how you like it. In the long run, the total payment (for shock and upgrade) is about $250 and rivals that of $400+ rears....

ravanelli
(3/9/01 6:37 pm)

How about those springs? Do I need to replace them to compensate for the weight discrepancy. I'm about 170 lbs, the 95 GSXR 750 appears to have a dry weight of 415 lbs. compared to the B4's 364. Am I up for pogo-land once that fifty pound discrepancy kicks in?

Lizardking
(3/9/01 11:02 pm)

Nah...the GSXR shock has more adjustability.... compression damping adj and spring preload, I believe

Minbo
(3/11/01 8:31 am)
GSXR shock

I installed a 92 GSXR 750 shock yesterday. It is a world of difference. Roads I used to have to brace for impact and prepare to become airborne on can be zipped through. The front end dosen't feel as bad as I thought it would. I think it took me longer to put the airbox back on than it did to swap the shocks. Easy mod with great results.

Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
GSXR Shock Swaps
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2005, 09:09:35 PM »
400FOREVER
(5/11/02 9:59 pm)
TRICK REAR SHOCK!!

Bought a shock for a GXSR600 2001 on ebay for 20 bucks plus shipping. I figured it was cheap enough for a try on my bike.The top bolt fits, the bottom bolt needs to be 10mm longer. The dog bones need spacer washers because the shock body and spring are larger diameter. The rocker needed a little grinding to clear the larger diameter. The radiater bottle is in the way of the shocks resevoir so I need to relocate it. Its 3/4 inch longer than the standard shock but that is what I wanted anyway. The back sits higher by about two inches. Its goes on the centerstand alot easier and sits over on the side stand like it should have all along instead of straight up and down ready to tip over. I haven't finished it tonight as there are some details to atend to but the bottom line is EXELLENT SHOCK FOR LITTLE MONEY!! I'll post later as I work out the bugs.
400FOREVER
(5/14/02 10:02 am)
Shock

Wow, a bigger job than I thought. Relocated radiator bottle behind the battery box. Moved starter solenoid to front of box. Reroute some electrics. Grind seam of airbox where it touches the new shocks reservoir. I'm now waiting for new carb bowl seals to cure a leaking problem. Oh yeah and I've still got to replace a fork seal. If I didn't love messing with bikes I'd be pissed. Beats watching that stupid tv.
400FOREVER
(5/29/02 8:41 pm)
rear shock

Hey people this new rear shock just absolutely kicks ass!! It was a lot of work and moving a few parts around but the shock is a quality piece. The back sits about two inches higher. Looks great! Handles fantastic! A little more responsive but not twitchy. The spring rate is perfect and the Ebay price is great! Okay one more time and I'll shut up. Newest style GSXR600-750 stock rear shock. Do this if you are mechanically inclined!!
f155mph
(5/31/02 12:56 am)
p

Why didn't you use the shock from a 89-95 Gsxr 750? The bottle on that shock is not a one piece but separate from the shock itself. I would think it would be way easier to mount.
Red01SuziB12S
(5/31/02 5:42 pm)
Re: p

Could it be because they are a different length?  
Remember, he's dealing with a B4, not a B6 or B12.

Paul W
junkmail10000
(5/31/02 6:22 pm)
shock

i've got a 91 (i think) gsxr750 shock on mine. with the remote reservoir. works great. there have been quite a few discussions on replacement shocks on this board, just skim through the pages. lots of opinions and options offered, but the remote-reservoir gsxr shock seems to be the most cost-effective and easiest (don't need to relocate anything) upgrade.
400FOREVER
(6/3/02 7:10 pm)
shock

I used the newer shock for two reasons really. The older style would probably be easier to mount but just the fact they are older now the condition is questionable. The newer style is available in like new condition and being new is the latest in technology. It wasn't easy that's why you better be willing to do the job. Rode it last weekend and it really is great.
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7