Author Topic: Stuck Bolts!  (Read 8882 times)

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
Stuck Bolts!
« on: March 11, 2005, 09:58:20 PM »
Bolt Removal
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sirigul
(7/7/01 12:01 am)
Bolt Removal

Long story short, I've got a front wheel, stripped, polished and painted, with three of the five rotor bolts still in it (I had to drill the heads off to remove the rotor). I used an Easyout to remove two of the five bolts, but have broken three more (Easyouts) off in the other three bolts; they're really in there. The guys at the dealer won't touch it- they say take it to a machine shop, which will be my next step if I can't get them out this weekend. Does anyone have any suggestions for me to try? The only other thing I've heard is to heat them up with a torch, as the aluminum will expand faster than the steel and break the bond. Thanks in advance.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Red01SuziB12S
(7/7/01 12:43 am)
Re: Bolt Removal

If the heat won't work, a machine shop may be your next best bet.

Once when working on an aircraft carb, I had a small screw break off in the pot metal carb body and the easy-out broke off in the screw. I ended up taking it to a specialty shop that burned the screw out with a laser and left the carb body looking great. I thought for sure I was going to have to buy a new carb - and that sure wouldn't have been a pleasant experience for the wallet!!! Airplane parts are expen$ive!

Paul W

Bandit14E
(7/7/01 1:06 am)
liquid wrench

Did you use liquidwrench before trying to extract the bolt?
The stuff works wonders.

Sirigul
(7/7/01 12:30 pm)
thanks

Thanks for the quick responses, guys. I tried a different type of "penetrating" lubricant, I don't remember what it was called, to no effect. The directions included tapping on the bolt with a hammer. I will try liquid wrench and visegrips next, but after that (assuming it doesn't work) it's off to the machine shop.
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7