Author Topic: '02 gsxr front end and rear shock swap compatability?  (Read 6400 times)

Offline mako

• First Post! Be Gentle!
'02 gsxr front end and rear shock swap compatability?
« on: May 03, 2010, 10:05:39 PM »
I'm sure this has been discussed to death, but I've got a couple questions that i haven't been able to find.
I plan on doing a gsxr front end swap, and would ideally like a pre-SRAD for an easy swap, but I can get an 02 front end for super cheap. It's complete except for the front wheel. I could possibly get the brakes, but I'm not sure. Anyone know if my bandit 400 wheel and brakes will work with '02 gsxr600 forks? I've read here that later gsxr forks aren't a direct swap..what would be needed to do a swap like this?

I've also been planning on using 91 (i think) gsxr750 rear shock, but again, I can get an '02 750 shock for cheap...is this a direct swap?

Thanks in advance! I'm glad I stumbled onto this forum; finding info on bandit 400s is hard to come by! :thanks:

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
Re: '02 gsxr front end and rear shock swap compatability?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2010, 01:56:22 PM »
The big thing with the newer bikes' front ends is they're shorter than what you've got, so if you go with them, you're gonna loose ground clearance and alter the handling.

Look arounf in the FAQ's, I think there's a chart in one of them that gives some shock info for a lot of different bikes that might be helpful.  Since most of the newer bikes have built-in reserviors instead of remote ones, you need to consider if you have room (or can make room) for them to fit in with the extra bulk of the reservior.

Good luck!
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline Unique

• Board Homesteader!
    • unique/bandit400blog
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2010, 11:58:40 AM »
I've gone with gsxr750, year 95 swap, reasons well one i like the look, i have looked at other shown to me by bandit ally members, one particular individual has been very helpful to me in making my mind up, If only i had this info the 1st time around it would have save lot of work, but at the time i didn’t know that bandit ally existent  :banghead:

But most of the other option would have just cost too much to do. After looking at ebay site the gsxr750 look to be the best option for cost and numbers of items being put up, although i spent lot of time looking for the right items, too many bidders were bidding too much, even for forks with broken adjusters, etc. Don’t go there.

Unfortunately I've not got far with the swap because of other matters which have taking me away from b400  :boohoo: :boohoo: so i can’t tell you’ll all, if my choice was the right one, although few others have already done the swap, See the link below, i believe the link is of a former bandit ally member b400. Plus there is a current member who has done the swap and has been riding it for the pass year.

http://www.bikepics.com/members/bhnguyen/91bandit400/

I been told this ZX6R 636 option. that SV650 is 99% seminar to b400, but i don't know anyone who has done a swap into b400, do you!!!!

http://www.canyonchasers.net/shop/sv/636-forks.php

and!
http://forums.banditalley.net/index.php?topic=207.0

see my next post for more gsxr info
« Last Edit: May 09, 2010, 12:03:04 PM by Unique »

Offline Unique

• Board Homesteader!
    • unique/bandit400blog
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2010, 05:59:06 PM »
Well whether you want it or not  :stickpoke: here some of the info i think i learnt over the months while looking at Gsxr750.. USD front end swap, if you’ll thinking of doing a swap...do double check.

I don't know anyone who has done a '02 gsxr600 forks, whether it will be a direct swap as the gsxr 750 :roll: but even the gsxr 750 needs some rework  :duh: check if steering head stock bearings sizes, etc, to the b400  check matches like the front wheel axle pin size to fork pin hole, etc,etc. 

Fitting Gsxr750.. USD forks, mostly, more or less a direct swap, although there are few items needing some attention, the bottom yoke steering stops are different and will need some rework done, particular if the clip-ons are not to hint the frame, and it save work if the bottom yoke comes with the stem. and headlight/s need new mounting point, could just use headlamp brackets that fit the fork tube !!.

gsxr 750 forks  i believe started between year 91 to ? in USA and in UK 90 to 95
fork sizes are  50m top and 54m bottom yokes/triple tress

The top yoke needs a hole for ignition barrow, that’s if you wish to keep the ignition barrow.

the 96 are SRAD (Suzuki ram air direct) these don't have front wheel Speedo pickup and the steering stem is longer !.

I think the gsxr 1100 forks are bigger sizes !

my b400 is a jap import and therefore already has clip-on so am use to them, If you don’t have clip-on you may not get on with them, I prefer them.
clip-ons under the top yoke! :shrug: whether the clip-ons will hit the frame :shrug: Although there is the possibility of fitting riser clip-ons.

http://forum.svrider.com/showthread.php?t=117052

gsxr front end swap will lower the B400 for sure, by about 10mm!! and it will alter the handling, But for the better. But its never going to turn the little bandit into a sport bike, But maybe into a pocket rocket :bigok:

Other info
85-89 ! Are “slabbside” ! and are 41mm ! Although last of these may differ in size from top & bottom yokes  :shrug:
Slabbside are normal way up forks and may fit into the bandit 400 yokes.
Gsxr Slabbside wheels axle stud size may differ to later styled gsxr wheels  :shrug: 

Bandit wheels  rear are 4.0 And front 3.0
Gsxr wheels   rear are 4.5 and front 3.5   you need to match wheel axle stud to the fork stud hole.
There other possibility in wheels, swingarm, etc, I could go on on on, But am not thankfully  :stooges:

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2010, 12:29:49 PM »
A stock SV rear shock is a waste of time.  That's one of the first thing most SV'ers swap out - cuz it's crap. 
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7