Author Topic: Timing chain retainer (B4)  (Read 2129 times)

Offline landy

• New user!
Timing chain retainer (B4)
« on: June 29, 2006, 10:42:06 AM »
Hi everyone!
Last week after a harsh ride on my b4, durling return trip, I found there is a noisy come from valve cover when engine rev between 3k-4k, that's quite a uncomfortable sound, today I removed the rubber plug on back of retainer, use a mini screw driver keep counterclockwise strength, then give it throttle, the noise gone, release strength, noise return, so I am sure that's retainer problem, but when took off the whole retainer for further examination, found there is still space for retainer to move forward,(the retainer pin not yet reach top-end, that mean chain sled not yet worn down), so it puzzled me!
test it when noise come, I can sense the vibration from screw driver(the screw inside of retainer), no vibration, no noise. so, any one who ever experienced this? and how you solve that?   Thanks

Landy :shock:

Offline landy

• New user!
Timing chain retainer (B4)
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2006, 10:01:39 AM »
I fixed it eventually!
anyone got this rattling engine, just try what I was done, the tensioner has a recoil spring inside, keep a strength on a helicoid protrudent(I do'nt know what call that), the recoil spring was too weak already, I pull up one side of spring-end, give it 3 turn then set back, the sound was gone, I try the bike for several days and never heard it again,
just for reference of everyone.

Landy