Author Topic: 1992 250CC Bandit Japan  (Read 3308 times)

Offline waruta

• Board Regular!
1992 250CC Bandit Japan
« on: June 23, 2010, 11:35:08 AM »
Hello,

I have been voraciously reading the forums ever since I received confirmation on my winning bid of my 250 Bandit.  I have a few questions to ask the professionals on this board, I am planning to mod the hell out of my Bandit and make it a semi-streetfighter, but mostly I am concentrating on the handling and the balance of the bike.  For now, what I have gleaned off of this forum is thus:

1)  RGV 250/400 Banana Rear Swingarm  (I know the GSXR400 will fit too, but the banana arm is just so smooth looking...)

2) Ohlins shock rear from a 89-92 GSXR 750

3) 88-95 GSXR Front forks, or RGV 400 front forks, the upside-downie with dual discs type.

My only question is:  I have seen all the above parts recommended for the B4, but nothing for the 250cc version.  Will all the above fit?  Should I just outfit the rear and front with RGV 250/400 components?  ( i do have a buddy about 2 hrs away that deals only in race bike parts here in Japan and specifically in RGV parts.  It would be cheaper than finding a GSXR front end)

Thank you all for the responses, I will post my before and after pics as well as a step-by-step process when I start doing the retrofit.

Regards,

w.

Offline Chris H

• Board Homesteader!
Re: 1992 250CC Bandit Japan
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2010, 07:27:41 PM »
Hi W,
The RGV250 rear end is not a straight fit into the B4 (dont know about the B250). they are about 20mm narrower with the same diameter bolt. Forks are very similar (same 300mm discs)but the RGV should have a lighter spring. "50 is very rare in the UK and super rare in the USA so little is known about them. Hope it goes well.

Offline waruta

• Board Regular!
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2010, 12:11:12 AM »
Thanks for the info!

I have called my buddy and he's digging around the yard as we speak for the parts, looks like he has a complete front end from a RGV400 (upside downie forks) + the double discs, and both the VJ21 and 22 (Banana) swingarm ready. Now all I need to do is ride up for a long weekend and measure everything and see if it all will fit without too many hacks.

Anyone interested in a writeup / how-to on the whole procedure?  I'm also wondering whether to try out the RGV rear shocks instead of a GSXR rear (since they are so expensive here), but I will let you know in the post-op ride/shakedown.

Regards,

W.

*EDIT*

Have looked into a few Japanese sites and all recommend against the RGV front forks, I'm probably going to have to look around for a GSXR 400 or 600/750 pair, but they are really, really hard to find here...for a decent price.

Also, this gentleman:  http://forums.banditalley.net/index.php?topic=6375.0  managed to put on the RGV swinger with the help of the spacer, but he also mentioned that he welded a bracket for the torque arm rear brake.  Is this necessary if you have a full-on RGV rear setup?  (Rim, brake, swingarm etc..)

Thanks!
« Last Edit: June 24, 2010, 03:21:44 AM by waruta »

Offline Chris H

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2010, 04:06:32 AM »
Ye- forgot to mension that any rear RGV or GSXR need a braket welding on as the torque arm mounts to the swinger on the Bandit and the frame on the others. You will need to run rear disc to match which caliper you use as the Bandit one is larger than the others. I fitted the whole gsxr rear including disc and caliper as they are lighter (as RGV). :motorsmile:

Offline Mad_Sunday

• Board Regular!
  • Staffordshire, England.
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2010, 09:03:32 AM »
@ waruta

if you are in Japan you could be a REAL help to 250 owners on here. It has taken me AGES to get info on these bikes and only then via (bad) translations from Google.

Can you get hold of a Suzuki parts list (you know the exploded view type) even if it's in japanese (it will still give part numbers) and maybe you can find a dealer we can order stuff from?

See my sticky above for the info we do have.

Cheers, Pete  :grin:
Linux, it's the future.

Computer virus.....whats that then?

Offline waruta

• Board Regular!
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2010, 09:23:21 AM »
Hi Pete,

Regarding your previous post, sure!  I just bought a Bandit (it's arriving at the end of the month) but previously I was into Kawasaki's ZXR and ZZR's....the reason why I chose the 250 is because we have something called "sha-ken" or a yearly visit to the certification center for anything over 250cc.  This means that even if you have a single mod on your bike, you will have to return it to stock to pass and be able to drive.  With 250's, as long as there is nothing too crazy (NOS, turbo 600+cc engine etc...) most cops will look the other way.

My step-grandfather is in the auto/bike business in Tokyo for the past 40 years, he should have a manual / parts list laying around somewhere, or I could order one on the cheap.  Let me see what I can do with putting it online.  What are the major issues you are looking for?  Also there's this English fellow way out in the boonies past tokyo that deals in a lot of RGV stuff if anyone is interested.  Let me know.

Regards,

w.

Offline Mad_Sunday

• Board Regular!
  • Staffordshire, England.
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2010, 09:39:40 AM »
Thanks for the quick reply  :grin: ANY info on 250 bandits would be gratefully received. The GJ74 models are largely unknown outside Japan and MOST people here in the UK have NEVER heard of one! 400's are fairly common as they were supplied to the UK. Any parts not interchangeable are VERY hard to find/expensive. From one of the links above I managed to get the part number for float bowl gaskets, from that a UK dealer has managed to order 4 from Japan (at £9 per gasket! ) but it has taken me a year to find that part number. Service info for 400's is also no problem, I have the Suzuki manual for that, but for 250's there is very very little. I bought the bike for my wife, she would love to be able to use it.  :duh:

I look forward to hearing any news regarding this AND your 250 modifications, good luck with that.

Cheers, Pete

Edit..........can you find a supplier of carb "O" rings, there must be an overhaul kit available? Maybe your grandfather would know?

« Last Edit: June 27, 2010, 06:35:18 PM by Mad_Sunday »
Linux, it's the future.

Computer virus.....whats that then?