Author Topic: 400 Ignition / Spark Issues....help!  (Read 7836 times)

Offline punkin

• New user!
400 Ignition / Spark Issues....help!
« on: October 14, 2006, 06:11:28 PM »
Ok guys,
   Have a 1992 Bandit 400 that has been sitting for a few months due to a no spark situation.  Found the thread on Capacitor replacement and replaced both 10 uF 50v caps and both 47 uF 35v caps.  Tossed the ignitor back in the bike, and it went vroom.  I rode the bike around, pulled it into the garage, everything was great.

The same night I put it back together, I charged the battery overnight.  Came out this morning--crank, no spark.

Here's what I know:

Signal generator 96 ohms, generates about 1/2 volt ac while cranking.  I don't know what signal should be, but 1/2v is pretty common signal voltage for automotive purposes.

Large connector on Ignitor has:

Orange/White 11.49v key on
Black/Yellow  11.49v Key on
white             11.49v Key on
Black/white     0 V key on

While cranking, the three 11.49v wires above drop to about 9.5v

I'd appreciate any thoughts anyone has, or even measured values at your cdi/ignitor!

Thanks,
--Scott

Offline punkin

• New user!
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2006, 11:14:12 AM »
Ok guys, here's an update...

I replaced the 4 capacitors again, and same story...bike made spark, ran great, idled for 10 minutes or so, I shut it off, it started fine again about an hour later.

After about 6 hours, I tried to start it again, and guess what?  No spark.

What could be killing my caps?

Thanks,
--Scott

Offline interfuse

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2006, 11:44:13 AM »
Got 'em hooked up the right direction???? Line goes to the negative or they explode...
Mike

'91 GSF400
It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow.

Offline punkin

• New user!
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2006, 12:48:03 PM »
Thanks for the reply...the polarity is correct.

What has me stumped is that the caps only seem to fail after the bike has had a "hot soak", that is, it's been running fine, then it pukes.

There is so pathetically little diagnostic information available, I really don't want to replace the CDI only to find that something else is causing the failure inside the CDI.

Can anyone give me KOEO / KOER values for the the CDI? (Key on, engine off / key on engine running)

You can see my KOEO results in my previous post.

Thanks,
--Scott

Offline magicGoose

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2006, 12:59:38 PM »
Hey Scott,
have you had a look at the connector for loose / corroded contacts, and tried just unplugging and reconnecting the igniter, and flexing the cable bundle? Sometimes when you take something out, change it, then put it back in, it can be the action of removal and re-installation that makes it work for a while, not what you did to the bit when it was out.
One other thought, if you are sure the caps are shot, have you checked the o/p of the reg/rect while the bike is running? Maybe a too high voltage is cooking your caps.
Steve
1991 B4

Offline punkin

• New user!
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2006, 01:06:26 PM »
Thanks for the tips Steve, I was actually just reading up on R/R issues...unfortunately, like many rookies, I was too busy patting myself on the back for making the bike run to check charging voltage while it was running.  Once it decided to not start anymore, it was too late.

I'm going to replace the caps for the THIRD time (and this time buy extras! :) ) and measure voltage.

We've done the shake/rattle/roll test, the harness wiggle test, and EVERY contact has been removed, inspected, cleaned, and reconnected.

The no spark issue is definitely due to the CDI/Igniter, but it could very well be voltage that is killing it.

I'd still love to see KOEO/KOER values from someone with a labscope who could accurately measure....   :)

Thanks!
--Scott

Offline magicGoose

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2006, 01:19:26 PM »
There's an out of circuit resistance check for the reg/rect in the service manual. There's a link to an online service manual in the member's section of the board. May save you sacrificing another set of caps.
I'll ~try~ to get some voltages at the igniter tonight, but I'm going to be late at work, so no promises!  :wink:
1991 B4

Offline interfuse

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2006, 01:59:07 AM »
I'm going to replace the caps for the THIRD time (and this time buy extras! :) ) and measure voltage.

Try getting the caps from a different vendor... wiki "Capacitor plague".

It could also be your regulator thats failed, see what voltage your battery is getting with the bike running. When my RR failed the extra voltage would just fry the battery.
Mike

'91 GSF400
It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow.

Offline gsxr400 racer

• I find things for a small fee....
  • Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • For all your disc golf needs...maybe i can race again someday.lol
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2006, 09:49:47 PM »
I had this happen one time think it wiped out a cdi, the pick up wires down by the cover were the rubber gromet is had cracked exposing them selves to each other and possibly making contact and not sparking my motor
1988 gsxr 400 sp (sprint bike)
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.
has been a wera expert #610 lol