Author Topic: Another crying for Help - "B250 just won't start!" post ......  (Read 8280 times)

Offline innercent

• New 250 Bandit Noob
  • TURBO TYPER!
Another crying for Help - "B250 just won't start!" post ......
« on: November 14, 2008, 05:41:26 AM »
Today, after got really frustrated can't spend my day doing some quiet studying for impending CA exam, because I have to look after my daughter (The Baby sitter who supposed to look after her, is MIA, so no one to after her !!!).  Instead, in the late after, I decided to work on my B250.
I Just want to change the oil and clean out the air filter (I end up washing the air filter because the near by suzuki dealer somehow don't have B250's air filters... so have to find some time to look for one in the part of the Melbournian city). OIl is absolutely dirty, so I am glad i changed the oil. Took off the air filter and it is full of black muck. Decide to wash it in warm water and let it dry in the sun.
Now tried assemble the other things back first, because I can't occupy my in-law garage too long, so I decided to assemble everything back, minus the air filter (Still in the drying process).

Now I am trying to start it, it is fine, I let it run a little while, just to ensure the engine oil settles in.... but then, the bike starts to cough and choke, sounds like running out of juice...... and it finally died....... Tried to start it again, nothing. The engine seems to be turning, but no ignition.... Keep on trying to start it until the battery is out of juice...... Try bump start, still don't work...... What is going on !!! Help ??
1990 GSF250 - Stock items with lots of parts need to cleaned and changed

Offline tomacGTi

• Board Homesteader!
Re: Another crying for Help - "B250 just won't start!" post ......
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2008, 08:59:38 AM »
Your bike was tuned with the air filter in, not out. Once the filter was out of the box, it went full lean causing the symptoms you see now.

Replace the filter and charge your battery, you should be fine.

Offline Demilus

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2008, 09:21:43 AM »
Check to make sure your vacuum line is on your petcock.  Also check to make sure your petcock is in the on position.  You could've been running off fuel in the float bowls.

Offline gsxr400 racer

• I find things for a small fee....
  • Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • For all your disc golf needs...maybe i can race again someday.lol
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2008, 11:07:47 AM »
Check to make sure your vacuum line is on your petcock.  Also check to make sure your petcock is in the on position.  You could've been running off fuel in the float bowls.
:clap:
1988 gsxr 400 sp (sprint bike)
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.
has been a wera expert #610 lol

Offline innercent

• New 250 Bandit Noob
  • TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2008, 05:18:29 PM »
The vacuum line is definely in and I checked the line three time as well, as there are fuel in the vacuum line. When I start it, the tacho barely move at all, there are sound of engine turning, but no ignition.
I will try put the air filter back in again like TomacGTi, maybe that will help abit..... BUt then, I got a Bucks nite today, starting 11am, so the rest of teh day will be wasted (As in drinking !)

Will report back to you guys to see how it goes.......

Offline gsxr400 racer

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2008, 06:54:18 PM »
fuel in the vacum line???? :yikes: change the plugs or atleast pull one out and see if you have spark
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.

Offline pmackie

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2008, 12:40:34 PM »
As Jay noted, you should NOT have fuel in the vacuum line? Maybe you meant the fuel supply line?

Anyway, you can also pull out one the carb drain screws to see if you have fuel in the float bowls.

From you description, it certainly sounds like no fuel to the carbs...
Paul
2002-GSF600S, Progressive Fork Springs, B12 Shock,
SS Brake lines, EBC HH pads, Leo Vince Ex & Kappa bags.
Ex Bike Mechanic (late 70's), somewhat rusty
32 years in the Fuel/lubes industry(Retired)

Offline tomacGTi

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2008, 11:07:12 AM »
Fuel in vacuum hose: hole in diaphram meaning your petcock is pretty much toast.

Set the thing to prime in order to run it and cap off the vacuum spigots in both the petcock and #1 carb. If your petcock is the same as a B4 then if you remove the screw towards the top of the petcock and rotate the knob past, fuel will flow.

Good luck!

Offline gsxr400 racer

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2008, 12:16:24 PM »
Fuel in vacuum hose: hole in diaphragm meaning your petcock is pretty much toast.

Set the thing to prime in order to run it and cap off the vacuum spigots in both the petcock and #1 carb. If your petcock is the same as a B4 then if you remove the screw towards the top of the petcock and rotate the knob past, fuel will flow.

Good luck!

This would be OK if your carbs are up to spec oring wise and float needle wise...If not then you will flood the cylinders or always run rich on some cylinders or maybe get fuel in your oil...we all have done it but the proper way to fix it is to get a Pingle fuel valve or get a rebuild kit for it...which again is probably a common part used on a bunch of fuel valves...that Suzuki uses. :motorsmile:

Offline innercent

• New 250 Bandit Noob
  • TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2008, 05:52:10 AM »
Some updates .....

Sorry, not the vacuum line that has fuel, but the fuel line has fuel. I tried draining the carb, and there are definitely fuel in carb (Except 2nd carb from left, since the screw is frozen tight).

I will need the weekend to take off the tank again and check for sparks...... and wetness on spark to be sure the fuel did get to the engine.

Damn it !!! its Summer here, and I can't ride to work !! damn damn damn !!!

PS - anyone know how to loose a frozen screw, where the socket is also ruine by previous owner?

Offline Demilus

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2008, 07:14:41 PM »
Vice grips and PB blaster.  Always loosens the hardest stuck bolts.  You'll probably need a new screw though.

Offline innercent

• New 250 Bandit Noob
  • TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2008, 02:23:27 AM »
Vice grips and PB blaster.  Always loosens the hardest stuck bolts.  You'll probably need a new screw though.

Thanks Delimus.... I think the problem going to be reach to that bolt. Hope this PB Blaster will work the same to penetrate through the carb drain bolt at 2nd carb chamber...... Since its raining today, looks like no fixing bike tonite for me....

Offline gsxr400 racer

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2008, 11:07:21 AM »
I use a automatic :stickpoke: center punch   :trustme::yikes: just on the very end of stuck screws :banghead: couple easy pushes and the screw comes out :motorsmile: also works great on hem pesky brake cylinder cap screws :bigok:

Offline 97af

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2008, 04:30:40 PM »
With all the time dinking around trying to get to that screw out,you'd be ahead of the game just pulling the carb bank,pulling the bowls off and cleaning them out correctly........... :thumb: 

A good tool lets you forget about the dent it put in your wallet everytime.

Offline gsxr400 racer

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2008, 11:33:34 AM »
With all the time dinking around trying to get to that screw out,you'd be ahead of the game just pulling the carb bank,pulling the bowls off and cleaning them out correctly........... :thumb: 
:clap: