Author Topic: It's Alive!  (Read 3963 times)

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
It's Alive!
« on: March 12, 2006, 09:41:35 AM »
Well, it's time for my annual "Oh my God it's finally all back together again!" thread!   :bigok:

Winter projects:

*  Dual headlights/carbon Buel XB screen
*  New clutch springs
*  Custon V&H-M4 exhaust
*  Tank Kreemed
*  Carbs cleaned and guess-o-jetted to new pipe setup

The new light/screen setup was a MAJOR pain!  Deciding what to do with the rat's nest of wires that hides in the bucket sucks.  I ended up shortening a few wires.  The rest are bundled, doubled over, taped and bound with zipties.  I'm not thrilled with it.  I may at some point tear it all apart and start over.  Then, I had to figure a way to mount the screen.  I ended up after MUCH trial and more error using 3/4 aluminum bar to attach it to the dash warning light mount and the headlight bracket back at the fork.  This works well.  I'll try to get some pics of that later.

I was having an issue where my clutch was releasing at the VERY end of the travel.  It made starts very difficult.  The new springs seem to have fixed it.

I've documented my exhaust project elsewhere (V&H headers into a custom-bent midpipe and my existing M4 can).  The V&H headers make my M4 can MUCH louder.  It sounds good, though.  So far, it seems that I'm just about perfect on the jetting.  It STILL has a minor flat spot in the needles when it's cold but when it's warm it's positively jumping!  With the pipe, Factory Pro TI needles, 110 mains and a modded air box, it pulls HARD all the way to the redline.  I would love to have done a before and after dyno run.  Seat-o-the-pants says I've made good HP gains.  The front end seemed light yesterday.   :lol:

I know it will drive Thief nuts but I'm thinking of putting a stickied thread where people can document exhaust/airbox/jetting combos that have worked for them as a reference for others.

Kreeming the tank was a pain in the ass that I've documented elsewhere too.  Hopfully, I won't be pulling the tank every 1000 miles this summer to clean my pilot jets.

Here's a pic (next to my new Jetta Wolfsburg - just for all the V-dub fans on the board):

Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline Maniac

• Board Homesteader!
    • http://www.bikepics.com/members/plan9/93bandit400/
It's Alive!
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2006, 12:50:38 PM »
Lookin good, Rob!  :beers:

2008 GSXR-750

Offline gsxr400 racer

• I find things for a small fee....
  • Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • For all your disc golf needs...maybe i can race again someday.lol
Re: It's Alive!
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2006, 02:17:12 PM »
Quote from: "PitterB4"

I was having an issue where my clutch was releasing at the VERY end of the travel.  It made starts very difficult.  The new springs seem to have fixed it.

Wow you sound more and more mechanically inclined every time you get on here . Im impressed. Looks good.  As for the above it was the clutch adjustment down at the engine .  :beers:
1988 gsxr 400 sp (sprint bike)
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.
has been a wera expert #610 lol

Offline tomacGTi

• Board Homesteader!
It's Alive!
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2006, 04:14:30 PM »
Looks good Rob. Hopefully you took advantage of the fine weather and got out for a spin. It's been crap-tacular weather here in Cali, its actually nicer back home.

We've been gone for the past 3 mo and I've been itching to get back on my bike.

-Randy

Oh and for your jetting database:

-Cobra F1S slip on, factory header
-stock-ish airbox/slightly modified with a different intake horn
-Dynojet stage one with 102.5 mains (factory) 2.75 turns out on the screws, middle clip position.

Starts with the choke and has that deadspot at 4500 when cold. Goes away noticeably when warm (probably going to do the CBR warmer thermo at some point this year). Pulls great through the rev range, revs right out with power in all gears.

I don't know how this bike performs stock because it already had these mods (with the exception of the airbox) when I acquired it last year. I worked hard with the kit tuning it to minimize the dead spots but still maintain power up top. Still getting near 45mpg.

-Randy

Offline interfuse

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2006, 04:16:10 PM »
The new light/screen setup. I'll try to get some pics of that later.

Looks great! Lets see somemore pics. What's the aproximate diameter of those lights? I don't want to end up with the supersized triumph triple lights.

I know it will drive Thief nuts but I'm thinking of putting a stickied thread where people can document exhaust/airbox/jetting combos that have worked for them as a reference for others.

Sounds like a great idea. I've got a lots of carb documentation around here. Rob, are you running 33mm carbs?
Mike

'91 GSF400
It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow.

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2006, 07:27:59 PM »
Quote from: "gsxr400 racer"

Wow you sound more and more mechanically inclined every time you get on here . Im impressed. Looks good.  As for the above it was the clutch adjustment down at the engine .  :beers:

Dude - if I was in that adjuster once, I was in there 100 times effin' around with it.  I could not get it right.  It got worse as it warmed up so I thought the weak springs were getting squishier (technical term) when the metal warmed.
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2006, 07:37:43 PM »
Quote from: "interfuse"
The new light/screen setup. I'll try to get some pics of that later.

Looks great! Lets see somemore pics. What's the aproximate diameter of those lights? I don't want to end up with the supersized triumph triple lights.

The housings are ~4.25 inches each.  I'll leave the metric conversion to you.   :wink:
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline b4cruz

• Board Homesteader!
It's Alive!
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2006, 07:46:32 PM »
tried to find pics of your old bike to compare
do you still have the old windscreen?
are those wheels newish too?

it looks great

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
It's Alive!
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2006, 08:08:37 PM »
Quote from: "b4cruz"
tried to find pics of your old bike to compare
do you still have the old windscreen?
are those wheels newish too?

it looks great

Rustang has my old screen.  I don't think he's using it, tho.

Those are my stock B4 wheels.  I painted them as part of my winter mods last year.

Here's a pic from last year:

Here's a better pic of the bike now...

Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7