Author Topic: Adding a Left Side Rotor?  (Read 3465 times)

Offline sclay115

• Board Homesteader!
Adding a Left Side Rotor?
« on: September 30, 2006, 11:33:00 AM »
I was curious about this, as I've seen pictures from over seas where the B4's have dual front rotors, but it doesn't look like the common stateside swap of the GSX-R. I was wondering if you would be able to mount a second rotor instead of going through the whole deal of swapping front ends. I like the current riding position, and don't really look forward to Clip ons. Or is there a way to use the top triple from a B4 to retain the bar mounts? And I was thinking, I saw the old post on the front end swaps, but it might be nice for people coming into the Bandits, to make a list of front ends that work/fit, as apposed to sifting through the post. It might just be me, but I read the post quite a few times, and I still can't be absolutely sure of what I need. I'm also wondering if you can run newer(02+) USD forks on the B4. Of which i didn't see that much info on.

Steve
"When people who should have known better cautioned me about the dangers of motorcycle racing, I always told them that a fear of death is nothing more than a fear of life in disguise."

--Nick Voge

Offline andrewsw

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2006, 01:52:52 PM »
those dual brake B4's came that way from the factory. I would think the easiest way to add dual brakes is to get ahold of one of the fork lowers form a parts bike that has it. You'd probably need the master cylinder too.

Offline andrewsw

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2006, 06:22:37 PM »
you know though, in my experience, the B4 has plenty of stopping power. I've pulled stoppies with a passenger (oops). If you're not getting the stopping you want/need, I'd go over it all once first (including the suspension setup) before diving into adding more binders.

Offline Herr Tod

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2006, 07:39:02 PM »
Try doing stoppies 20 times in a row. Then look at your brake pads smoking. Either single or dual disc, you can block your front wheel. But with dual discs it will stay cooler and will last longer. You'll also have more feeling.

Offline andrewsw

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2006, 08:23:32 PM »
agreed. my point is that it has plenty of stopping power for most uses and I certainly notice no braking issues even after a good run of hard riding. I don't disagree that adding a second front rotor would be good, but maybe not necessarily worth the effort or expense. that is on the assumption that the effort and expense could be fairly substantial. and of course, its only my .02 :grin:

Offline Thief400

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • http://www.members.shaw.ca/cgard
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2006, 10:37:08 PM »
Well I put a whole Katana 750 front end on mine. Picked it up on ebay for $300. the best thing i ever did, yes the single disk is powerful but to go from 2 live pistons to 8 live pistons in the front brakes is awsome to say the least. It's truely a 1 finger stopper now. At the last drag race this summer I was lifting the rear tire off the ground at over 100mph slowing the bike down to make the first turn off. Can't do that with a single disk

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2006, 08:55:18 AM »
If you want to keep Bandit triples , there are lots of other dual-disc bikes out there with 41mm tubes (B6, SV650 to name a couple).  Of course, both of those bikes use a single tubular bar (non-S version SV) so you could take their whole front end without switching to clips.
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline sclay115

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2006, 09:25:45 AM »
Quote from: PitterB4
If you want to keep Bandit triples , there are lots of other dual-disc bikes out there with 41mm tubes (B6, SV650 to name a couple).  Of course, both of those bikes use a single tubular bar (non-S version SV) so you could take their whole front end without switching to clips.

Wow yeah, i didn't even think of just keeping the triples themselves. Does the SV650 front end go right in? or do i have to swap out stems like most swaps? I see a lot of people on SV's going to GSX-r front ends, so they are on ebay all the time. And there seems to be plenty of aftermarket pads/rotors/springs/valving for those front ends. And I like the clean factory look of the way everything up top(gauges, warning lights) and wouldn't really be to into fabbing brackets and such.

Steve
"When people who should have known better cautioned me about the dangers of motorcycle racing, I always told them that a fear of death is nothing more than a fear of life in disguise."

--Nick Voge

Offline sclay115

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2006, 10:01:05 AM »
It has just occured to me, are there other parts we can use from Sv's? Wheels? As was just mentioned, we can use the fork tubes, what about swingarms or anything like that? It would be a step up without jumping all the way up to GSX-r parts.

Steve

--Nick Voge