Author Topic: racing  (Read 3648 times)

Offline roadrcr

• New user!
racing
« on: May 06, 2006, 11:26:07 PM »
im looking into racing a Bandit 400 but am having a hard time finding performance/ race required parts for it. if anyone can help that would be awesome. examples of things i need...

exhaust
jet kit
air filter
clip ons
dual disc conversion
race bodywork (at least the tail)
steel lines
etc...
thanks

-Oxx

zaptoman

racing
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2006, 12:11:07 AM »
May the search button serve you well.....

Offline Thief400

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • http://www.members.shaw.ca/cgard
Re: racing
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2006, 12:50:17 PM »
Quote from: "roadrcr"
im looking into racing a Bandit 400 but am having a hard time finding performance/ race required parts for it. if anyone can help that would be awesome. examples of things i need...

exhaust
jet kit
air filter
clip ons
dual disc conversion
race bodywork (at least the tail)
steel lines
etc...
thanks

-Oxx

Exhaust, Keep watching ebay they show up from time to time
Jet kit, Factory pro if you insist on having one or just jet up with Mikuni jets
Air filter, ebay there is alway one or two places selling them.
clip on and dual disk conversion, any early to mid 90's GSXR or Katana front end,
Steel lines see above
Body work your on your own, might try grafting something on there
If you serious about racing change the rear shock as well, again any early to mid 90's GSXR will do

Offline Garyola

• Board Homesteader!
    • http://www.mulcahey.com
racing
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2006, 01:15:08 PM »
You won't need dual discs. With braided lines and good pads, the little bandit doesn't have enough weight, once you've stripped away all the unnecessary street bits or speed on the track to require the dual set up. Learn to trail brake. Save yourself the cash and spend it on tires.
I don't run an air filter at the track.

G

Offline duane

• Board Homesteader!
racing
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2006, 05:50:54 PM »
I'm racing now and have seen at leat two B4s that have Airtech GSXR 600 body work on them.  You'll need to fabricate your own fairing stays but they seem to fit well.

Offline Racerruss-ducati

• Board Homesteader!
Airtech bodywork
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2006, 07:32:58 PM »
I have done most of what you are planning.  

I have 2001-2003 GSXR Airtech bodywork on mine.  Required some cutting to clear (from the Ripley files, the crankcase on a GSXR1000 is narrower than the B400, believe it or not).   LP on Ebay for $220

I bought Vortex clip ons from Ebay for $100.

2003 GSXR 600 rear shock Ebay $20.

Muzzy Carbon Slip on to stock header pipe (get a race header if you can, the stock header still grounds out first on the right side)

I haven't got into the engine yet, so that part will be new to me.  However, leaning on the engine is going to be a very expensive undertaking without a lot of payback.  You will never get as much HP as a current 600, and I can already hang with the SV 650 crowd down the straits at NESBA track days, so I don't really have a need to work on the engine.  I would just get the jetting dialed in just right so you have great throttle response and it pulls to redline on the top, and you will be all over the 600's all around the track.  

You can see most of the stuff on the bike at this link: http://www.bikepics.com/pics/pics/suzuki-bandit400-93-bikepics-464371.jpg

BTW, you won't find a better deal for track rubber than this link http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Michelin-Motorcycle-Tire-Pilot-Race-2-H2-150-110-NEW_W0QQitemZ4633644258QQcategoryZ35601QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
'96 Ducati 900 SP street
'04 Yamaha R6 track

Offline Herr Tod

• Board Homesteader!
racing
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2006, 01:19:36 PM »
A single disc (at least on a friend's GS 500E) turns blue and starts to smoke after we've had about 15 fast kilometers on the public roads...

Quote from: "Racerruss-ducati"
get a race header if you can, the stock header still grounds out first on the right side

Not if you lean more, then the peg hits the ground just before the exhaust. Of course you'll be dragging everything there is to be dragged at that moment :bigok:

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
racing
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2006, 03:35:04 PM »
The only time I've noticeably heated up my disc was after making a couple runs down (and back up of course) an incredibly twisty, steep, 1 mile+, fast mountain road.  The effects of gravity dramatically compounded normal braking effort.  Other than that, including at a tight, technical track, I've never noticed any odor or fade from the front.  

The rear shock should be at the top of your upgrade list.  While it's not rebuildable and has limited adjustibility, the shock off of a second generation B12 is effective and cheap.  B12 owners often upgrade to Busa or aftermarket shocks so there are usually some available.
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline Thief400

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • http://www.members.shaw.ca/cgard
racing
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2006, 11:02:47 PM »
You can never have TOO much braking power, not that the single disk was weak but now that i have dual disks up front i can brake way later than before and thats the name of the game in road racing

Offline gsxr400 racer

• I find things for a small fee....
  • Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • For all your disc golf needs...maybe i can race again someday.lol
Re: Airtech bodywork
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2006, 03:25:49 PM »
Quote from: Racerruss-ducati

Hey, Hows the trackdays coming? Racer Russ
1988 gsxr 400 sp (sprint bike)
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.
has been a wera expert #610 lol