Author Topic: BANDIT 250 BLUES -- Rod punched through case -PICS- REBUILD OR REPLACE?  (Read 5337 times)

Offline MENNACE

• New user!
 :banghead:  Just picked up a '90 GSF250..rebuilt the carbs and gave it a tune up...running for no more then 3 seconds and now this! (see pics) Dont know the extent of the internal damage. Thinking of replacing the motor alltogether. If you guys can provide me with some posibilities as to what alternative motors will work with this bike i would appreciate it.

Should I :  -Rebuild motor or
               -try and find GSF250 replacement motor
               - try and find an alternative motor (any suggestions?)  
 :duh:

"In a Twist of the Wrist ... Full Throttle"

Offline MENNACE

• New user!
I found a 92 b400 motor on the same continent.......will it swap out?
"In a Twist of the Wrist ... Full Throttle"

Offline Wudy

• Board Homesteader!
    • Wudy.co.uk Freelance Web Development
Blimey! Was that just at idle?

If it's a cheap motor it might be worth a punt. If it doesn't fit you can always sell it on again.

Hopefully someone will know for sure though...
- '93 Jap Import B4 VVC

Offline interfuse

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Ouch. wtf happened?
Mike

'91 GSF400
It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow.

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
I'd think fixing that one would not be too cost effective.  Chances are the crank and rod are toast along with fixing your new air-cooled case are going to run into a bit of coin.

There might be some old threads in here on swapping a B4 motor into your 250.  The subject has come up before, but I don't recall if anyone has attempted it, of if the owner just ended up getting another bike and scrapping the idea.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline Mad_Sunday

• Board Regular!
  • Staffordshire, England.
We have a '91 250 and a couple of 400 VVC's and the engines/frames are NOT the same. The engine mount points at the cylinder head differ quite a bit. The tank and airbox are different as are the side panels. Look at the angle of the carbs, the 400 carb mounts are just off horizontal, the 250 carbs are REALLY steep. That's why the tank and side panels differ. The frame tube that runs along close to the head is NOT a tube on a VVC engine bike, its only a curved piece of metal that looks like a tube. This allows the VVC system to fit the frame.

Try to get another 250 bandit, Suzuki "Across" or GSXR250 motor (which is what the bandit engine is derived from) as this will be an easy engine swap.

Pete

edit..... I've been trying to find an English manual for a 250 bandit for ages without success. I've also tried looking for a GSXR250 manual also without success. I only recently heard about the Across model and there's a workshop manual available online for that. Same engine as the Bandit and the GSXR 250 (internals are the same but externally there maybe style changes) but different carbs. The Across is GSX250F, google and you should find the manual, it's in English as this bike was sold in Australia and New Zealand.

Click on this link to find LOADS of free to download manuals including the GSX250F (Across) one.

http://www.carlsalter.com/motorcycle-manuals.asp
« Last Edit: June 01, 2010, 09:36:50 AM by Mad_Sunday »
Linux, it's the future.

Computer virus.....whats that then?