Author Topic: Front End Conversion  (Read 4077 times)

Offline JamesBanditVV

• TURBO TYPER!
Front End Conversion
« on: May 20, 2007, 07:23:00 AM »
Hey Guys im new here so firstly just wanted a say hi, secondly i know its probabaly already been said on here but im in a bit of a rush and dont have time to read through it all, what is needed for a rgv USD conversion for my import? i have heard the gsxr 750 fit but i dont have the money for a full front end,so was wondering with the rgv if you could get away with just the forks, clip-ons and yokes (i think some people call them the triples) as im 90% sure they use the same calipers, and i think the same wheel jus slightly larger disks on the rgv. any help is hugely appretiated, cheers

James
Is it just me or are some car drivers out to kill us???

Jack-Up Kit, Headlight, New O-ring Chain, End Can, Indicators, RGV Rear Shock

Offline Herr Tod

• Board Homesteader!
Front End Conversion
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2007, 12:49:04 PM »
I don't know a lot about the RGV forks, I have the GSXR ones. I can tell you this, the calipers are the same as on the dual disc Bandit 400, the brake rotors are the same as well, only difference is the B4's are ventilated and the stock RGV ones are not. I don't know about the wheel, only that the size is the same, 3.00 x 17. I can imagine the RGV has a bigger axle, not sure though.

Good luck.

By the way, I've just read your introduction post, you've lowered the forks almost 20 mm's? Don't you get a very nervous front end? Tankslappers? Wobbles? Highsiders?

I've always had my forks 5 mm's lowered, went to 8 mm's since yesterday and I got my first serious highsider :shock: :bandit: Now I'm in doubt because it handles great. I hope a steering damper will fix this problem.

Offline JamesBanditVV

• TURBO TYPER!
Front End Conversion
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2007, 01:20:36 PM »
To be honest i havent really ridden it hard enough to feel, as the suspension setup is on the front is terrible, basicaly im 6"2 so im not the lightest feather and the stock forks are way to soft so i cant go mad because as soon as i brake hard the front end bottoms out, now i would just stick a thicker grade oil in and a spring preload spacer but my forks are pitting so though it was a good exscuse to have a USD conversion. But when i get the other suspension on i will have a play around, thanks for the help so far

Offline BrianM

• Board Homesteader!
Front End Conversion
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2007, 03:51:08 PM »
That's odd... I just hit the track on stock forks (except the oil), and I never bottomed out or had issues.  Yes, they're soft, but predictably so.  FWIW, I'm 6'4" and run 260lbs.

the rear shock was the big issue with my bike, soon as I got that replaced with a quality aftermarket, all the BIG ills dissapeared.
Cheers,

BrianM ~ 1991 Bandit 400

Offline gsxr400 racer

• I find things for a small fee....
  • Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • For all your disc golf needs...maybe i can race again someday.lol
Front End Conversion
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2007, 06:36:15 PM »
you prolly added more fluid to your brian i know i usually do i dont like the bottoming thing. Hey when i get my race bike back together do you know any geometry figures if i tell you what my bike is at maybe you can tell me if im to low or to high front or rear wise my linkage is fully adjustable and not something i tinker with much. I know im 53.5 " wheel base on a good day lol
1988 gsxr 400 sp (sprint bike)
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.
has been a wera expert #610 lol

Offline JamesBanditVV

• TURBO TYPER!
Front End Conversion
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2007, 06:37:51 PM »
thats the main problem is the oil is to thin and the bike just dives as soon as i brake hard. but as the forks are pitting i thought i would get some USD's on her. mainly for performance but i love the look of USD's and have my eye on a carbon fibre RGV front fender  :grin:. does anybody know if the RGV spindle fits my bandit wheel. or if the Bandit and RGV wheeels are the same????

Offline BrianM

• Board Homesteader!
Front End Conversion
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2007, 07:52:16 PM »
Quote from: "gsxr400 racer"
you prolly added more fluid

Not that I recall....  I usually start with stock settings and make small adjustments from there.  All I've done was replace the forks seals, clean the filthly little buggers (tons of sludge in the bottom), and add fresh 10 wt oil.  The damping is actually Very good in my set of forks (WORLDS better than most Hondas that I've delt with, and even a bit better than SV forks).  

As for your racebike, sorry, I'll be of next to no help on that.  I know what a bike is supposed to feel like, and how tires should look wear-wise so I can set up my own (and give a strong helping hand to those with similar bikes), but your GSXR is likely much too different to use what little I'm gaining with the B4.
Cheers,

BrianM ~ 1991 Bandit 400

Offline gsxr400 racer

• I find things for a small fee....
  • Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • For all your disc golf needs...maybe i can race again someday.lol
Front End Conversion
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2007, 08:05:45 PM »
lol worth a try any way thanks
1988 gsxr 400 sp (sprint bike)
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.
has been a wera expert #610 lol

Offline JamesBanditVV

• TURBO TYPER!
Front End Conversion
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2007, 06:51:09 PM »
The conversion is off for now anyway as money was spent on repairing the poor girl after i lost the front end on some oil :duh: so will have to see about the suspension when i get some more money

Offline JamesBanditVV

• TURBO TYPER!
Front End Conversion
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2007, 05:15:21 PM »
A Engine Casing, Peg hanger, abit of welding and a oil and filter change later shes back on the road  :duh:  Crashed on a monday and was back on the road by tuesday lol :clap:  Anyway back to the conversion does any1 know if the RGV wheel is the same as the bandit? or could i just go into my local suzuki dealer and would they be able to tell me???