Author Topic: Installing second-hand mirrors  (Read 3441 times)

Offline yuckhil

• TURBO TYPER!
Installing second-hand mirrors
« on: July 09, 2007, 11:59:05 PM »
Hi all,
My bike has a pair of useless aftermarket mirrors, so I popped into Vic M'cycle Wreckers and bought a pair of originals, off an identical GSF250V they had there.  She looked really sad.  :-(
Anyway, I rolled the mirror stems into the threaded handlebar modules, but they don't roll around to the appropriate positions and the lock-nuts seem to be stuck.  They may be rusted, because there are traces of rust at the bottom of the stems. I soaked the stem ends in Penetrol for a whole day and then clamped them in a vice (between blocks of wood  :-)  ), but I still couldn't loosen the lock-nuts.  Hammering the lock-nuts only seems to chip the chrome off.  Ow.
Does anybody have any bright ideas other than using washers between the handlebar modules and the stems?  Thank you.
CheerS!
2000 GSF250VY

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2007, 11:40:29 PM »
Another set of mirrors???  

Sorry...

Heat can help break stuff loose.  I'm not sure what a plumber's torch would do to the chrome, tho.  

Dumb question but are you sure they aren't already all the way to the top?  I assume you tried turning them both ways.
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline yuckhil

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2007, 12:03:41 AM »
Thanks Rob,
I did remove the aftermarket mirrors first!  :-D

Well, I'm not really sure how these OEM mirrors are meant to be installed.  The aftermarket mirrors have stems with threads on the ends, so they screw into the black handlebar switchgear modules.  When you have them at the appropriate position on the last rotation, you can tighten the lock-nut to keep them there.

However, the OEM mirrors have stems that seem to end inside a projection of the lock-nut, because the visible threaded end looks like it is part of (moulded with) the lock-nut.  Hence, even if I loosen the stems from the lock-nut, I have no idea how to tighten it in the appropriate position.

Hmm, good point - I didn't try turning them the other way.  Let's try again, and yes I too am dreading putting a flame to them.

CheerS!
2000 GSF250VY

Offline SHEPPO

• Board Regular!
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2007, 08:00:52 PM »
i was going to say, i'm located in Skye, about 45min from you, if you had any drama's to come down and i could have shown you how my mirrors (OEM's) mount.

glad to see you got it sorted.
Sheppo..

1990 Black Bandit 250 - stock (at the moment)

Offline andrewsw

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2007, 03:18:02 PM »
I know you've solved your problem, but here's a trick for stuck nuts taught to me by a real blacksmith. (in fact, his _father_ was the _last_ ships blacksmith in the british navy, so he claims anyway). To loosen a seized nut use two hammers and tap (firmly) on opposite faces of the nut. Work your way around several times. The tapping action will force the nut slightly out-of-round and also stretch it just a bit. If you follow it around a few times, it will break the nut loose and allow you to work it off. I've used this a few times and it does work, though sometimes it takes some pretty good whacks.

and its probably not great for chrome bits...

Offline gsxr400 racer

• I find things for a small fee....
  • Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • For all your disc golf needs...maybe i can race again someday.lol
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2007, 04:30:24 PM »
also good to do on studs if you have to remove them hit them flat with a hammer it shocks them and loosens the rust or galding
1988 gsxr 400 sp (sprint bike)
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.
has been a wera expert #610 lol

Offline yuckhil

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2007, 11:36:42 PM »
Case reopened.
Today, a nitwit pedestrian nudged my mirror, while I was unlocking, parked on the footpath.  He turns around and gapes in disbelief at seeing a motorcycle there!  Sort of, where did that come from?  :shock:
Now I find the ball/socket joint is too stiff to readjust properly.  Can I squirt some WD-40 or chain lube in there, or is it likely to have rubber parts in the joint that could get destroyed by oil?  Thanks.
2000 GSF250VY

Offline SHEPPO

• Board Regular!
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2007, 12:41:19 AM »
so the mirror was nudged and it's now hard to move? that's interesting. a bit of wd-40 love may get it all working again. does it feel like it's not lined up and in place internally?

on a side note: if you dont mind me asking, where did you pick up the mirrors, and what did you pay for them? my LHS mirror vibrates at about 8,000-12,000rpm, it sh1ts me! so i'm thinking of replacing it.
Sheppo..

Offline yuckhil

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2007, 03:14:24 AM »
Thanks mate.  The mirrors are just very tight and they don't move smoothly, so adjusting them is unnecessarily tedious.  No big deal though; I was worried that oil might destroy any rubber bushing, etc. in the joint.
I got 'em for something like $15 each, off an AU model GSF250V at Victorian Motorcycle Wreckers, Heidelberg West.  http://www.victorianmotorcyclewreckers.com.au/  They have a few sad Bandits there, so you should find 'em at almost any relevant wrecker.
Reg your vibration issue, check whether your LH end weight is loose on the handle bar.  If the rubber grip in the end weight assembly is worn out, you can get a replacement rubber grip at a Suzuki dealer.  A1 Motorcycles in Brighton can supply them without the actual weight (cheap).
2000 GSF250VY

Offline SHEPPO

• Board Regular!
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2007, 10:31:30 PM »
the vibration is definately the mirror. if i squeeze the mirror glass against the rest of the mirror assembly, the vibration stops.

i think for $15 i'll be getting another and hoping it fixes the problem!

thanks.
Sheppo..