Author Topic: New b400 0wner having problems  (Read 2753 times)

Offline devilears

• TURBO TYPER!
New b400 0wner having problems
« on: August 03, 2006, 07:30:02 AM »
Hi

I just bought a 95 b400. It runned fine for the first couple of days but now I'm starting to have problems. The bike starts easily but after driving for about 1 or 2 miles it starts stuttering and dies. Then the bike struggles to starts, and when it starts it idling is very lumpy and the exhaust on cylider 4 does not get hot. If I leave the bike for a couple of hours it starts fine again and runs fine for a while and dies again.

Can anyone please help me to give me an idea of what the problem might be.

Thanks

Offline BrianM

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2006, 12:40:52 PM »
Well, what kind of maintenance have you done/had done so we know a baseline?

Check/Adjust valves?
Clean carbs?
Replace o-ring in carbs?
Sync carbs?
Is there an in-line fuel filter..  if so, have you changed it?  
If not, you might want to install one.
Drained fuel from the tank to see if it's cruddy?
Checked/replaced spark plugs?

Based on my experience, I'd think it's either crud in the carbs, or something electrical.  Electrical stuff often shows up in a "runs fine" condition when everything's cold, and a bad running condition when warm.  But a carb issue makes more sense (simpler, more likely).
Cheers,

BrianM ~ 1991 Bandit 400

Offline wyntrblue

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2006, 12:54:29 PM »
i had exactly the same problems as your describing, stripping and cleaning the carbs replacing the orings made all the difference :)

good luck

Offline devilears

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2006, 06:10:51 PM »
Thanks for the advice. I have changed the spark plugs and engine oil. I have checked for spark while the motor does not want to run and all four plugs have spark. I am going to have the carbs cleaned and o-rings replaced on Monday. Hopefully this will do the trick. I currently do not have an inline fuel filter installed. Is it nescessary to have one as the service manual does not show any data on this?

Thanks

Offline gsxr400 racer

• I find things for a small fee....
  • Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • For all your disc golf needs...maybe i can race again someday.lol
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2006, 06:32:53 PM »
It is a known fact that the b4 and 73 gixxer 400 have rusty tank problems if you ever drain your float bowls (which is a good idea to do on occasions anyway) you may notice some red looking dust in the bottomof the cup you drain your fuel in or your floats bowls when you take your carbs apart. The cheap fuel filters work okay but it is better to buy one that can be cleaned as i have seen the little plastic ones hinder fuel delivery. Atleast i dont run one no more do to a fuel delivery problem I couldnt get enough fuel to flow threw the things so i run a pingel high flow fuel filter.
cheers
Jay
1988 gsxr 400 sp (sprint bike)
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.
has been a wera expert #610 lol

Offline devilears

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2006, 04:47:03 PM »
Hi

Thanks for the advice I finally got my bike back from the mechanic. Turned out the carbs were dirty, wrong size jets installes and just generally tuned very badly.

Just glad I got it back and running fine again.