Author Topic: Looking at a Bandit 400...MANY questions! Please look!  (Read 3399 times)

Offline GooseMan

• Board Homesteader!
    • http://www.soundwerksaudio.com
Looking at a Bandit 400...MANY questions! Please look!
« on: March 05, 2007, 12:47:59 PM »
Hey all!

Firstly, I'd like to say that I absolutely LOVE the B4 and have been obsessed with it for quite some time now! I went for my bike liscense a few years ago, but unfortunately, failed the test. At the time, I ended up starting my own business...bought a new house etc...and never had the time or money to start up again  :sad:

Anyway, at the time I was looking at the Bandit as my primary choice for a good starter bike. Well, I'd probably keep it for a while, seeing as how its enough bike for me anyway (I'm like 5'8, 160lbs...a B4 is FINE for me!).

So this year I will be re-taking courses and (hopefully) getting my license.

It's pretty rare to find a Bandit around here, but I did find one in my area. Only problem is, its in peices :(

It's at a motorcycle shop for a 2nd gear repair. They have the engine/trans out of the bike, but theyre looking for a serious buyer before they put it back together. I went to check her out, and it seems ot be in fine mechanical shape.

Aesthetically, its not that great..theres a HUGE dent in the tank, and the rear cowling is cracked. I also notice for a red bike, the frame is black...which isnt normal.

The guys at the shop say I have three options:

1-Have them repair the tranny, clean up the bike and buy it for around $2500 CAD (mechanically fine, but still a little rough around the edges)

2-Buy it AS-IS for $1600 in peices and put it back together myself

3-Buy the bike now (minus engine), fix it up myself over the next few months myself, and then put the engine back in once its fixed by this shop.

I like option 3, as I wont have my license until may anyway, so I have plenty of time to re-build the bike in the meantime. I've got space and time, so I dont mind! I love projects like this!

Also, I figure while the bike is apart, its the best time to start replacing all the little things (gaskets, chains, sprockets, clean carbs etc....)...no?

Now, I have never taken a bike apart before...but I'm pretty mechanically inclined, and have worked on all my cars before. Since they would be doing the complicated engine/tranny work, that would leave me with just the frame of the bike to clean/restore etc...

I'd really like to paint the frame a dark silver/titanium color, and then pain the tank/fairing black. Maybe paint the wheels red like a Ducati S4!

Now some questions...

-I dont know the year of the bike....it has silver colored wheels, so I beleive its a 92/93..is that right?

-While the engine is off the bike, what should be inspected and/or replaced?

-Since the tank has a big dent it in...is that fixable? Or should I be looking for an entire new tank?

-Are there any MANDATORY mods I should be making to the bike (I've been reading about jet kits for a little more low-end power, and a higher temp 190f thermostat)?

-Am I jsut being stupid about the whole thing? Should I just be patient and look for a better B4?

Thanks!

Jon
1991 Bandit 400

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2007, 04:54:49 PM »
Even though they aren't common and the CDN$ is a little lower than the US$, I still think their prices are too high and they either need to come down or fix more of the bike for your buck.

Personally, I think I'd keep looking. If it's what you really, really want, do be afraid to travel to pick up the right bike.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline GooseMan

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2007, 05:02:02 PM »
Well, I e-mailed the guy and got him down to $1200 for the bike plus $900 for a completely re-built motor/tranny. So $2100 in total (or around $1700 USD).

I really dont mind doing the work myself on the rest of the bike...as it will be a good learning experience, and I just find it fun! Plus I like to do work myself, as I feel I can do a pretty thurough job.
1991 Bandit 400

Offline gsxr400 racer

• I find things for a small fee....
  • Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • For all your disc golf needs...maybe i can race again someday.lol
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2007, 05:05:23 PM »
i have a freind with one for sale 1200 needs carb clean battery and air filter older fellow owned it single owner can get you more details and maybe pics tomarrow
1988 gsxr 400 sp (sprint bike)
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.
has been a wera expert #610 lol

Offline GooseMan

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2007, 05:30:25 PM »
Nice! But where is it?
1991 Bandit 400

Offline magicGoose

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2007, 05:49:54 PM »
Hey Jon,
What I see in your post is this:
- tank dented and plastic cracked means bike has been down
- frame wrong colour means bike had major dissassembly and parties unknown futzed with it in unknown ways
- it's sitting in pieces in a shop because the previous owner didn't value it enough to pay for the repair
I realize that a used bike is always a gamble, but this bike sounds like it's been thrashed and abused. I have made this mistake before, and it's always better in the long run to buy good used than try to fix crappy used. Just my $.02(Canadian)
I sympathise about them being rare. I drove like 18 hours or something to get mine. I did notice, though, one for sale recently in Ottawa, might be worth checking out.
http://ottawa.craigslist.org/mcy/281627538.html
Let us know what you decide.
Regards,
Steve
1991 B4

Offline GooseMan

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2007, 05:56:21 PM »
Yeah, I saw that one..been in contact with the seller. Sucks that i'm not really ready to buy RIGHT now...and even if I did buy that one, I'd have to somehow get it back to Montreal. Then I'd have to get it registered here...and from what I hear, Quebec is really strict with their inspections!  :duh:

But you're right...I thought of the same things...black frame is strange, and the bike has been dropped (I dont know if it was dropped at speed, or just dropped at a stop)
1991 Bandit 400

Offline gsxr400 racer

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2007, 05:57:05 PM »
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.

Offline GooseMan

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2007, 06:29:20 PM »
Yes...I can see that you are located there. How can I know where your friend is?  :wink:

:beers:

Thanks! I'll still take a look at those pics if ya got em!
1991 Bandit 400

Offline gsxr400 racer

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2007, 06:31:49 PM »
not trying to be a dick so dont take it that way! :stickpoke:  he's in tha same are within 15 minutes of me i'll take some pics tomarrow for you on my way home from work
cheers a bit far to go but tis a great bike has sat most of it life

Offline GooseMan

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2007, 06:36:57 PM »
No problem...no hard feelings ;) I'll await the pics!
1991 Bandit 400

Offline pmackie

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2007, 07:27:39 PM »
Unless you really want a potential can of worms, don't buy a bike you can't start and ride. If you truly want a project, then just be prepared.

Are they really going to rebuild the whole engine or just put it back together with the repaired tranny? How does the rest of the engine run? Forks, shock, steering head & swingarm bearings all in good shape? Chain, sprockets, wheels all good? How are the tires? All of this stuff can add up to a lot of $.

If I were interested in this bike, I would likely want them to put it together so that I could test ride it first, then compare it to what else is available. Doesn't sound like the best deal to me...but I haven't seen the bike.
Paul
2002-GSF600S, Progressive Fork Springs, B12 Shock,
SS Brake lines, EBC HH pads, Leo Vince Ex & Kappa bags.
Ex Bike Mechanic (late 70's), somewhat rusty
32 years in the Fuel/lubes industry(Retired)

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2007, 08:50:12 PM »
Yeah, it depends on how much you love projects.  This sounds like it might be a big one.

BTW - in the US and Canada, silver wheels mean it's a '93... or at least the wheels are.

Good luck!
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline GooseMan

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2007, 09:33:30 PM »
Projects are always fun! I'm getting old(er)...I have no life...I've got time!  :lol:  Plus, I wont be riding until May (that *IS* if I pass my test!) so I cant do anything with the bike anyway except play with it
1991 Bandit 400

Offline GooseMan

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2007, 01:42:26 PM »
So I just got off the phone with the shop thats selling it...he lowered the price down a little more...so its starting to get really tempting!

He said the bike was running perfectly fine before he took apart the trans (again, only to replace 2nd gear), but the shocks, brakes etc.. are all in good condition. Still, I would replace the pads, maybe the fork oil and brake fluid.

It's also a 1994...dont know if that makes a difference.

Also...the wheels are silver...does anyone know the paint code for this colour? If I do get it, I'd like to paint the frame to match.
1991 Bandit 400