Author Topic: stop whining!  (Read 3405 times)

Offline Mick77

• Board Homesteader!
stop whining!
« on: July 25, 2008, 01:29:54 PM »
This morning on the way in to work (the B4 is running great now, by the way :thumb:) I noticed that when I decelerate at "in-town" speeds, there's a little whining noise coming from the bike that I hadn't heard before.  I didn't do anything with the rear wheel or chain tension, so I don't think it's something I did in the process of getting it back on the road.  It just started this this morning.  Any ideas?  It sounds like an older gear driven VFR lol.  It's not terribly noticeable, but any other sound over the howl of my exhaust gets noticed.  Maybe I'm paranoid and just listening for problems, who knows.
Hey Bandit.. whaddya say we bury the hatchet....... in your Tank!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline andrewsw

• Board Homesteader!
Re: stop whining!
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2008, 02:02:41 PM »
Is it the turbo spinning down?  :rofl:

FWIW, I hear strange noises all the time, and it takes me a while to realise that they are normal... every once in a while, some different noise will stand out... sometimes riding with a tail wind I'll hear all sorts of stuff that I'm not used to hearing and it will totally freak me out. Usually it's nothing.

Personally, for a new whining type of noise, I'd think about the valve train. :shrug:

Offline salvate

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2008, 04:30:24 PM »
2007 1250s here
I've always had a gear whineing noise that is consistent in pitch with the rpms of the engine. It sounds like a quieter version of a huey helicopter spinning up the rotor blades.  I believe its the stacked drivetrain assembly. Allways been there never getting any better or any worse. I always put it down to the nature of the Beast.
Proud owner of a
2007 Bandit 1250s

Offline pmackie

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2008, 04:25:19 PM »
If it's a new noise, it might be the cam chain making noise. There are a bunch of posts here about cam chains & tensioners for the 400.

Sooner or later every 400 will have enough cam chain stretch to start causing some noise. Jay (GSXR400Racer) sells a manual tensioner that may help (if its the cam chain).
Paul
2002-GSF600S, Progressive Fork Springs, B12 Shock,
SS Brake lines, EBC HH pads, Leo Vince Ex & Kappa bags.
Ex Bike Mechanic (late 70's), somewhat rusty
32 years in the Fuel/lubes industry(Retired)

Offline Forde

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2008, 10:42:29 PM »
Howaya,

Sprocket carrier bearing?  My bike needs a new one and its whining like phuck under load. 
If you cant join them, beat them...