Author Topic: Bad voltage regulator??  (Read 9200 times)

Offline dolly_parton

• TURBO TYPER!
Re: Bad voltage regulator??
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2011, 12:27:50 PM »
"Nice little gauge, something to check for is make sure the reg/rec has a good ground. It's not a bad idea to run a wire from the ground post of the battery to the mounting screw. Most failures can be trace back to a bad ground. This has been a Suzuki problem since the begining of time."

This just blew me away...I must have overlooked this obvious point when examining the wiring, but I thought all motorcycle batteries were grounded from the neg terminal to the frame? So I take it the solution here is to run a second ground from the negative terminal?

Sorry for the confusion. I detest electrics, unfortunately. And all my problems come from these.

Offline canyonbreeze

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2011, 06:01:46 PM »
They are generally grounded to the frame but this isn't relied on for some of the circuits.  There is another ground wire to most.

Offline interfuse

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2011, 05:44:39 PM »
My replacement regulator bit the dust. This time it failed preventing the battery from charging. I've got an electrosport replacement on order. I'll let you know how that works. I also ordered a cheap replacement battery (only $40!!).
Mike

'91 GSF400
It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow.