Author Topic: Bandit 400 smooth upper triple clamp  (Read 4589 times)

Offline Racerruss-ducati

• Board Homesteader!
Bandit 400 smooth upper triple clamp
« on: November 12, 2006, 11:40:44 AM »
Hi All,

I found this in my garage recently.  It is a B4 factory upper triple clamp from a European model, designed for use with clip on handle bars, not the bolt ons that the US models came with.  If anyone wants it, I will take $35 for it.  Shipping will be about $9.00 to anywhere in the US.  I thought I would give the dedicated people on this board dibs, but if I don't here from anyone, it will be going on ebay in a week.

Email me with questions to racerruss at nc dot rr dot com.

'96 Ducati 900 SP street
'04 Yamaha R6 track

Offline NateFaris

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2006, 11:51:04 AM »
Well shoot. I just got a set of clipons and that upper triple clamp from overseas not too long ago or I'd be allover this one Russ. Did you do the smoothing yourself or did you purchase it that way? I have access to a full machine shop on campus but am not sure as to how I can utilize the resources to put a nice finish on the nasty triple clamp that I have.

Offline gsxr400 racer

• I find things for a small fee....
  • Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • For all your disc golf needs...maybe i can race again someday.lol
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2006, 09:06:15 PM »
just mill the top of it like that one! Those lines on that one are from the cutter passes they used a small cutter that is why there are so many lines nice job though you could polish that like chrome or leave it that way looks good either way cheers good buy to anyone that want one
1988 gsxr 400 sp (sprint bike)
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.
has been a wera expert #610 lol

Offline Racerruss-ducati

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2006, 09:50:23 PM »
Hi Nate,

I gave you a set of clip ons with the bike, didn't I?  I think they were in the bottom of that spare parts box.  I hope you didn't buy a set.  BTW, if you put clips on it, you will have to modify the headlight brackets.  There are a few posts on this board describing the procedure.

Anyway, the triple is a "your a peein" model meant for clip ons, not a machined US model.  The two holes are for an extra bolt used on factory clip ons to make sure they don't slip.  I dusted off the top with an end mill because the original finish was a little scuffed up from a key ring and the clear coat had come off in spots.  The shiny spot is where I had my stopwatch ty wrapped on.

Later, Russ
'96 Ducati 900 SP street
'04 Yamaha R6 track

Offline gsxr400 racer

• I find things for a small fee....
  • Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • For all your disc golf needs...maybe i can race again someday.lol
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2006, 09:57:18 PM »
cool, new it was milled with something no harm good part i wouldn't even be scared to mill one with the handle bars id just mill the bar part off! Nice job machinest :beers:
1988 gsxr 400 sp (sprint bike)
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.
has been a wera expert #610 lol

Offline doqq

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2006, 01:01:46 PM »
I just sent u a paypal.  So where can i get a nice clip on to compliment this triple tree?

Offline Racerruss-ducati

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2006, 02:03:12 PM »
Try this.  You may be able to find some used ones for under $100 if you watch ebay.  Search for 41mm clip ons under motorcycle parts.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/VORTEX-RACING-CLIP-ONS-41MM-BMW-STRADA-575353_W0QQitemZ4648414062QQihZ002QQcategoryZ35587QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

Thanks for the payment, I will try to get it shipped tomorrow.
'96 Ducati 900 SP street
'04 Yamaha R6 track

Offline NateFaris

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2006, 03:15:38 PM »
Russ, I still have the vortex clipons that you gave me with the bike. I tried fitting them and found exactly what you said, that the headlight bracket would need to be modified. I wasn't a big fan of how low they sat on the forks either, so I got the european triple tree and clipons from some guy across the pond (since they sit on top of the triple tree, only a few inches lower than the stock bar). I havent' tried fitting them yet as I still need to machine them some as I said. Now that I think of it, anyone need a cheap set of vortex clipons?

Offline NateFaris

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2006, 03:24:09 PM »
doqq:

Here is a set of the european clipons that will bolt to that triple tree. This is the same guy that I got the parts from. Shoot him an offer for the parts and shipping and he's likely to accept it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/SUZUKI-400-BANDIT-HANDLE-BARS_W0QQitemZ190051210095QQihZ009QQcategoryZ10534QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Offline tomacGTi

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2006, 05:49:24 PM »
Wasn't there an issue though with the Euro forks being longer so that you could poke them up through the tree and the clip-ons though?

For some reason I remember seeing the post to somewhat the effect that for the handlebar models, you would have to drop the trees drastically to use the non-tree clip-ons.

-Randy

Offline NateFaris

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2006, 07:26:48 PM »
Yeah there was some issue there. I havent done a test fit to see, but it would seem that dropping the forks an inch (if that much) would set them up high enough to hold the clipons in place.

Offline doqq

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2006, 11:51:33 PM »
so the triple tree i just bought from russ wont work with regular clip ons?

Offline tomacGTi

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2006, 12:21:47 AM »
It'll work fine as long as you know you have to:

-mod the headlight bracket for under the tree installation

-Know that you'll have to drop the front end a very large amount (possibly bottom the fork into lower crown) to acheive over-the-tree installation.

This of course, depends on the clip on.

Offline doqq

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2006, 12:27:35 AM »
what if i bought the european model clipons? would i still need to do mods to the forks?

Offline tomacGTi

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2006, 12:46:44 AM »
Russ, I'll apologize in advance if I'm killing you sale. Sorry man.

There is nothing you can do to mod the forks to add length to the stanchions, unless you have non-handlebar model forks. I would also advise against dropping the tubes down that far for obvious reasons.

This of course is based on speculation because I don't know whether the non-handlebar triple is phyisically lower than HB triple and certainly I can't claim personal experience due to still running HB myself and not doing the conversion. I had looked into it and decided against it for most of those reasons, I found a compromise and went that direction instead.

I can advise looking at the companies like Tommaselli and Heli-Bar that make a clip-on in 41mm or whatever the Bandit happens to be that has an offset built into it to raise it above where a standard non-offset clip-on would go. CycleCat also makes an adjustable clip-on but they're some serious dollars.

-Randy