Author Topic: New Bandit Owner  (Read 3571 times)

Offline Ronrdrcr

• Board Homesteader!
New Bandit Owner
« on: September 22, 2005, 12:20:17 PM »
What's up everyone!!  Just bought a 92 400.  Thought I would introduce my self.  This is my second bike, my first being an 02 Kawi W650.  I'd definately say I prefer the bandit over that old bike.  So far I've added a Joe Rocket tank bag, Cortech saddle bags and it's getting a new o-ring chain as we speak.  I plan on purchasing new tires next month after I sell my truck.  (Speaking of, I have a 69 Chevy C10 for sale if anyone is interested.  Makes a great bike hauler).  I live in Central Florida (Great Riding spots) in the lakeland area for now, but moving to Tampa in a couple of weeks.

Ron

2006 Kawaasaki Z1000, Corbin seats, CRG mirrors, clear alternatives smoked taillight, Metzler M3 tires, and even more smiles!!!
92 Bandit 400
going to the wifey

Offline gsxr400 racer

• I find things for a small fee....
  • Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • For all your disc golf needs...maybe i can race again someday.lol
New Bandit Owner
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2005, 01:54:17 PM »
:congrats:  :beers:  :motorsmile:
1988 gsxr 400 sp (sprint bike)
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.
has been a wera expert #610 lol

Offline Maniac

• Board Homesteader!
    • http://www.bikepics.com/members/plan9/93bandit400/
New Bandit Owner
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2005, 01:58:42 PM »
Beautiful bike, Ron! If thats the stock fairing (which it looks like) take good care of it, they are rare!

Welcome aboard  :beers:

2008 GSXR-750

Offline Ronrdrcr

• Board Homesteader!
New Bandit Owner
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2005, 02:40:54 PM »
Yes, it's the stock fairing, and it provides no protection at all from the wind.  I'm actually thinking of taking it off and putting it in storage.  I'd like to get a fairing for it that provides a little more protection.  I ride 62 miles one way to work everyday on the interstate and it gets a little tiring fighting against the wind.  Other than that I love the bike.  I've been looking at putting new M1 Metzelers on it.  Does the 160 rear handle much differently than the 150?  Thanks for the compliments guys.  I'll snap some more pics once I get it back from the shop.  The saddlebags actually look pretty good on the bike.  Also, does anyone know the part number for a K & N filter for it.
Thanks
Ron
2006 Kawaasaki Z1000, Corbin seats, CRG mirrors, clear alternatives smoked taillight, Metzler M3 tires, and even more smiles!!!
92 Bandit 400
going to the wifey

Offline jcmjrt

• Board Homesteader!
New Bandit Owner
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2005, 04:19:18 PM »
Nice looking bike. There is a thread going on now about fairings. I'm surprised at how good the RGV250 bodywork looks on the bandit. The bad part to me about a full fairing is hiding the beautiful frame. If you do go with a larger fairing then I'm sure that you could sell the stock one with little problem. I'm running a Metzeler M1 on the front right now and will put one on the back when the rear needs to be replaced. The K&N Filter number is SU-0008. I'm not sure - someone else hopefully will pipe in - but changing to a higher flowing filter might require rejetting. I haven't done this mod so I'm not sure.

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
New Bandit Owner
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2005, 04:35:52 PM »
:welcome:

For the filter, search Ebay.  There's a store there that sells them for a good price.  Just search the stores for gsf400.

If this is your daily commuter, I'd probably go with Z6s at least on the rear rather than M1s.  If I had 2 rear rims, I'd have one of each - a Z6 for superslabin' and an M1 for the track/weekend riding.  I imagine you'd flatspot an M1 pretty quick commuting.  BTW - why the desire to go with a 160?  The theory is that will slow down steering some.  I've never tried it.
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline Spacey86

• Board Homesteader!
New Bandit Owner
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2005, 05:18:05 PM »
hi the welcome, really like you nose fairing, keep hold of that, am trying to find one at the moment, they are like rocking horse Sh~t
If at first it don't fit .......... Smack it with a hammer(might be the reason my B4 is nackered)

Offline gsxr400 racer

• I find things for a small fee....
  • Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • For all your disc golf needs...maybe i can race again someday.lol
New Bandit Owner
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2005, 06:17:04 PM »
Quote from: "PitterB4"
:welcome:

BTW - why the desire to go with a 160?  The theory is that will slow down steering some.  I've never tried it.

The theory is it speed up turn in and gives less traction leaned over! thought i'd fix that fur ya buddy! :stickpoke:
1988 gsxr 400 sp (sprint bike)
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.
has been a wera expert #610 lol

Offline Ronrdrcr

• Board Homesteader!
New Bandit Owner
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2005, 09:00:40 AM »
That's the reason I was asking about the 160.  On my car (which I know is a totally different beast), I increased tire width by 10mm and it totally changed the whole car for the better.  I saw on here some people had tried a 160, and was just curious of everyones opinion on it.  As far as the fairing, it will not be for sale, it will go into storage.  I would just like something to make the daily commute more livable.

More on tires:  Are the Z6's made by Metzeler also?  I would like something that grips fairly good, but would still last at least 6,000 miles.  That would make me change tires almost every two months with my trip to work.  I don't think I would be able to afford that.  Of course I will be moving in a couple weeks to make my commute only 35 miles, but they still add up pretty quick.

Thanks for all of the input guys.
Ron
92 Bandit 400
going to the wifey

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
New Bandit Owner
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2005, 09:37:50 AM »
The Z6 is Met's "sport-touring" tire.  It gets RAVE reviews.  It is a higher mileage tire than the M1 which is their "sport" tire but is supposed to be really sticky.  Check the Tires form in the B6/B12 section.  I've ridden with a B12 guy who had them.  He had that thing rockin' through the turns.
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline Ronrdrcr

• Board Homesteader!
New Bandit Owner
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2005, 01:01:43 PM »
Thanks, I'll have to check them out.

Ron
92 Bandit 400
going to the wifey