Author Topic: Still sparkless.  (Read 7108 times)

Offline doqq

• Board Homesteader!
Re: Still sparkless.
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2009, 10:19:23 PM »
the secondary coil or plug to plug reading should be 30-50 k ohms.  Do you have it in the correct setting to read the 30,000-50,000 ohms? Just want to make sure. 

Offline Mick77

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2009, 02:46:52 AM »
ok, both coils check out fine now.  (I'm still learning the meter thing)  I think I had a loose plug cap on the 1&4 coil.  I'll start over from scratch tomorrow with a fresh charge on the battery and see where that gets me.  There is also 12v going to each coil from the orange wire when the key is on.  Which goes on top, the positive, or the negative on each coil?  Sorry for the flow of questions I should know the answer to by now, I'm just so BENT on getting this thing right and isolating this problem so I can ride!   :motorsmile:
« Last Edit: June 06, 2009, 02:48:55 AM by Mick77 »
Hey Bandit.. whaddya say we bury the hatchet....... in your Tank!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Chris H

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2009, 06:49:08 AM »
Orange on the top!

Offline Mick77

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2009, 12:57:49 PM »
Alright.  Orange on top and charging.  Will update when I have full power and give it a crank.  God I wish I could end this post and ride.

Offline Mick77

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2009, 02:54:04 PM »
Just in case anyone else follows this thread... orange on top on the riders LEFT, orange on BOTTOM on rider's RIGHT.  They are also clearly marked.. I learned that when "why are two cylinders cold?"

In other news: Bike starts and idles fine.  Took the carbs off last night and cleaned them (sort of..did 2... yes, i know.) because cyl. 3&4 were getting no gas whatsoever.  started and idled fine this morning.  Left for work, and it starts to miss at WOT.  Got to work, and now at low speed it sounds like a twin.  Has this now become a fuel/air problem instead of electrical? 

Out of the frying pan....

Offline Banditmax

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2009, 02:55:33 PM »
Coil connections should make no difference at all as long as you have the right wires going to each coil. Connect them either way round.

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2009, 09:07:32 PM »
I'm sure at this point you know to check them but this sounds for all the world like when I was having problems with the connection to one coil.  Those two cyl's would come and go.  After much dicking around, including swapping coils from a friends bike (in the middle of a BA ride I was leading!), I realized that all it needed was a little more crimp on those stupid spade connectors.  It seems that when they got warm, they'd expand just enough to make intermittent contact. The B4 makes a really shitty twin!   :duh:
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline Mick77

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2009, 03:22:16 PM »
Now that you mention that, I did have a problem not too long ago with the pack on the right.  After riding it to work and parking it in a hot garage, I would come out after work and one of the wires on that coil would be off.  Makes a little more sense now, I was thinking I had made someone mad somewhere by setting off their car alarm with my disk-less supertrapp  :motorsmile:  And yes, a very very bad twin does the b4 make.

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2009, 03:49:08 PM »
Those things should be tight, tight, tight!  They should require a little effort to slide on to the spade. 
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline Mick77

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2009, 04:52:45 PM »
Ok fellas, case closed.  Verdict: faulty pickup coil (point to Interfuse) and bad connection on #2/3 coil (point to Pitter).  Thank you all for helping me sort this one out... now on to the next issue  :banghead: :rofl: