Author Topic: A question for Stormi about her cool new exhaust  (Read 2781 times)

Offline duane

• Board Homesteader!
A question for Stormi about her cool new exhaust
« on: July 26, 2007, 04:58:01 PM »
Hi Stormi,  when you put this B12 exhaust on your bike did it change the power delivery?  Did you rejet?  What exhaust can did you have before and how much quieter or louder is this new one?  Any other thoughts after living with it for a few months?

Thanks,
Duane

Offline stormi

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
  • BOFH
    • stormi's other hobbies
Re: A question for Stormi about her cool new exhaust
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2007, 01:57:30 PM »
Yes,.. we lost some bottom end (I'm guessing that's the back pressure issue) nothing our $25 aftermarket sprocket won't fix, and she needs to be rejetted still.  The nice part is that she's still rich in most of the revs so I'm not going to cook the engine while we get around to the jetting.  (The exhaust guy that welded it made that diagnosis, and based on what he did when I asked, he seems pretty used to sniffing exhaust.)

She goes like a bat out of hell in the upper ranges now though.  The other half and I took off from the last set of lights before the highway, and she didn't do too bad at keeping up with the 919 ( OK, i wasn't -that- hard on it on the 919, but not being a granny either)  I could hear her howling the whole way too.

We went from bone stock ( with after-market rust customization and slight linear weight reduction though (rashed)) to this can.

This one is -much- louder than the bandit's stock can.  I can now hear her coming from about 2 blocks away if the other half is on the gas.  If not, she's probably 30-40% again as loud as stock at idle.  I haven't had the cops show up at the door after doing work on her and having to start and rev her yet.  :stickpoke:

We're going to look at some quieter packing, because we like the sound, just not the volume -all- the time.  Perhaps I'll see if I can post a wav as well later.

We've painted that mid, as well as the rest of the headers.  I'll take a pic when Dita brings the other half home.
stormi

Dita - 91 Bandit 400 - SOLD
Blue - 02 Hornet 919 - Perfect Gentleman
02 KTM 200 EXC - Sold
08 VFR800 - Lowered 1.2"
17 KTM RC390
17 Husky TC85 converted to 105

Electrosport Charging System Test - it really works

Offline gsxr400 racer

• I find things for a small fee....
  • Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • For all your disc golf needs...maybe i can race again someday.lol
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2007, 03:18:35 PM »
Not to say yours isn't nice Stormi mam, this is another route to go with a nice link pipe. Search eBay as well for r6 slip on and some one on here i believe used a 636 mid pipe then what ever can you want .

Ebay link

I'm not saying this pipe in general just the type that look like this with this mid pipe leave alot of options for trimming
cheers
Jay
1988 gsxr 400 sp (sprint bike)
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.
has been a wera expert #610 lol

Offline stormi

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
  • BOFH
    • stormi's other hobbies
« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 02:01:26 AM by stormi »
stormi

02 KTM 200 EXC - Sold
08 VFR800 - Lowered 1.2"
17 KTM RC390

Offline GooseMan

• Board Homesteader!
    • http://www.soundwerksaudio.com
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2007, 01:04:42 PM »
oooh! sounds sweet!  :motorsmile:
1991 Bandit 400

Offline duane

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2007, 01:09:50 PM »
That's it!  I'm getting one!
Thanks Stormi :grin:

Offline Bazza

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2007, 09:46:53 PM »
Hey Stormi:

That does sound rather cool, and it's much louder on the B-4 than it was on my B-12! It had a much deeper sound of course on the B-12.

Instead of re-packing, you may want to look at buying the yoshi street baffle which plugs into the outlet of the can. It would quiet things down considerably. (This is the difference between a street & Comp yoshi pipe)

I think you may be able to get one from Yoshi, or look for a damaged yoshi street can.

Offline stormi

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
  • BOFH
    • stormi's other hobbies
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2007, 04:53:51 PM »
Quote from: "Bazza"
Hey Stormi:

That does sound rather cool, and it's much louder on the B-4 than it was on my B-12! It had a much deeper sound of course on the B-12.

Instead of re-packing, you may want to look at buying the yoshi street baffle which plugs into the outlet of the can. It would quiet things down considerably. (This is the difference between a street & Comp yoshi pipe)

I think you may be able to get one from Yoshi, or look for a damaged yoshi street can.

You know,... I might just know where there are a set of damaged cans...

I think it's likely because that 2" to 2.25" conversion did something similar to de-restricting the exhaust.  ;)  There's likely a lot less muffling going on because of it. :)

The B4 was also run at much higher rpm than the 1200s usually are at similar speeds.  While I wasn't the one riding, I suspect that we were listening to her around 13.5K or higher.
stormi

02 KTM 200 EXC - Sold
08 VFR800 - Lowered 1.2"
17 KTM RC390