Author Topic: Bike lost power, ran very rough, now no start  (Read 7409 times)

Offline 400banditman

• TURBO TYPER!
Re: Bike lost power, ran very rough, now no start
« Reply #30 on: December 29, 2011, 11:52:38 AM »
So an update.

After looking on Ebay for parts in October, I located a seller who had the goods in Clearwater FL. Come to find out he is native to my area here in PA, and willing to delist the items and deliver the parts over Christmas break for cash. So I waited.

He arrived Christmas eve around noon.
The first thing he noticed was heat distortion on the conn rod bore and the piston pin of the burned out piston. He explained how the parts should slide easily though each other, but did not. So we got a dremel tool and some polishing compound and smoothed out the bore of the rod. Then we installed basically new pistons with rings, seals and matching pins along with the newer cylinder sleeve. Went together flawlessly and felt great. Then he took a look at my cylinder head and the valve surfaces. That metal deposit you saw on the face? All gone. He went over it with a fine grinder and removed it all...with no surface distortion or high spots.
At that point we bolted everything down. He took the carb body back with him to inspect and clean in the meantime. I expect him back soon to help with a valve clearence adjustment and to re-install everything. This guy was outstanding.

Offline 400banditman

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #31 on: December 29, 2011, 12:20:43 PM »
(ran out of space!)

So if anyone is lucky enough to live in florida, and has a bike issue they needed fixed, hit this guy up. His name is Ethan, and his Ebay handle is patra729. Highly reccomended. He actaully owned a couple bandits and his father I believe still rides one.
Anyway, attached are some current pics.
I will keep everybody posted. We plan to have it running before new years!

Offline 400banditman

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #32 on: December 31, 2011, 11:19:54 AM »
So last night he came over again and finished up. We adjusted the valves (which were all too tight) and reassembled everything.
At first it didnt want to start. After some starting fluid and a few hiccups, it fired up!
We then ran it awhile, to seat the piston rings and burn off extra oil. And there was alot to burn; when the piston went, it shot oil all through the internal components, including the exhaust.
Now is time to make sure nothing was left out and all fasteners are tightened. Soon hopefully, I'll get it to a shop to preform a carb sync and balance.
Anyway, time for some  :beers: tonight!

Thanks everyone! Happy new years!!

Offline rider123

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #33 on: January 02, 2012, 12:19:40 AM »
Nice job! Yeah tights valves will make it screwy.
2005 Bandit 1200, Modified Holeshot Stage 1 with 17.5 pilots 2.75 turns out, and 110 mains 5 shims. Muzzy Slip on w/mid-pipe, stock filter. 1.5" hole in the airbox lid.