Author Topic: bored so I thought i'd post up some nonsence  (Read 3464 times)

Offline albertinhouston

• Board Homesteader!
bored so I thought i'd post up some nonsence
« on: December 26, 2007, 12:12:29 AM »
I stripped down the the 400 I bought the other day. w/ no motor the rolling chassis weighs 200lbs.  I was shocked about that. So I started thinking. How can I reduce weight on the frame and what is left? This all comes from me thinking about putting a dr 650 motor in the bandit frame.  THIS WILL BE A NON PASSANGER BIKE.
Gs500 rear swing arm is short that the b4.  This will not shave that much weight off but will give it a shorter wheel base.   I can still use the bandit rear rim with out any problem. OR.. I could use a gs rim and save weight through a smaller rim and tire. 
Next is the from end. I don't have a weight on a gs front end but I'm pretty sure its lighter. It's not a direct bolt on.  I'd have to change out the stem. I don't know if this is a step in the wrong direction but it's a thought. the brake power will be the same since that are the same. 
 I will cut off all the extra tabs I do not need
 any idea about the foot peg bracket mounts?  maybe even the heavy part of the frame in the area by the pegs.
and other place you can thing of to shave some weight?

I do realize i'm going to add some weight when I make the motor mounts.
after it's done I need the bike to definatelly be  under 300 lbs(dry) if not 275(thats my goal). and 250 is my dream. I know its a dream.

couple of weights
gs 500 front rim with tire -22 lbs (should be the same a a bandit)
rear gs w/tire -  28
rear b4 w/tire  - 31.5
91 gsxr 750 rear rim w/ tire- 34lbs
bare front tire race comp. 120 -10lbs
bare rear tire race comp 180    -12.4
bare slick                     160    -12.6
bandit front end (forks,tripples rim,tire,complete brakes,fender with brkts- 54lbs.)
91 gsxr swing arm -9.5 lbs (bare)
91 gsxr swing arm with complete rear brakes -12.5
 I don't know if any of this will help any one with anythink but like I said I'm bored!!!!!

b4 swing arm length: center of front axel to closest point the rear axel can go.
gs is 1" shorter (direct bolt on)
91 gsxr 750 is 2" shorter (Not so direct bolt on.)
 please post any thoughts on additional weight savings. I would like to keep the tail section uncut so I can run the bandit tail fairings I like the looks of it.
albert

Offline Banditmax

• Board Homesteader!
Re: bored so I thought i'd post up some nonsence
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2007, 06:34:12 AM »
Plastic petrol tank will save you over that standard heavy steel one. Althouhg hard to find someone to make on i spose. Lose all the clocks and replace with an acewell/veypor. You'll be losing weight with the dr exhaust and run  a carbon can that'll drop you a few more pounds.

Offline albertinhouston

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2007, 03:26:19 PM »
I was thinking about a small one galon tank and also cutting out the tank to make it a shell. Yes.I think i'll only have a tach on it. I'm not faliliar with acewell/veypor. what are they and do you have a web site to look them up?

Offline Banditmax

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2007, 04:11:40 PM »
There all in one speedo/tacho's with warning lights also if you want them http://www.acewell-meter.com/

Offline albertinhouston

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2007, 08:18:34 PM »
oh man nice......
thanks

Offline gsxr400 racer

• I find things for a small fee....
  • Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • For all your disc golf needs...maybe i can race again someday.lol
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2007, 11:14:32 PM »
cut the usless steel subframe off
1988 gsxr 400 sp (sprint bike)
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.
has been a wera expert #610 lol

Offline albertinhouston

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2007, 10:29:54 AM »
Are you hinting about outting an alumi. sub on there? I haven't thought about it but not too much. But I guess I could have a bolt on sub. hmm.....

Offline gsxr400 racer

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2007, 08:31:19 AM »
i have a 02 750 subframe bolted to my b4 project but the guy did it wrong and created a bunch more work for him self now cause he cut to much of the old subframe off and now i cant mount the 02 tanks
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.

Offline albertinhouston

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2007, 10:25:24 AM »
 I really like the shape of the 03/04 rear sub.  It seems abit smaller.  Did the guy not make tabs?   then just bole the sub on there. That is the way I saw putting another sub in there. I'm sure there are plenty of ways to do it.

Offline gsxr400 racer

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2007, 05:54:07 PM »
yea he made tabs just cut way to much off in the beginning when i picked it up i thought something looked funny but could not put my finger on it till i tried to put the tank on

Offline albertinhouston

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2007, 06:16:01 PM »
send some pics if you have any....

I dont know if i said it or not but I won a 96 dr 650 motor for 120 something $ on ebay....
whoo hoo!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline gsxr400 racer

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2007, 06:24:27 PM »
what a deal stuff it in a xr 100 frame lol or they are weapons of corner destruction in a gp chassis like a 125 or a 250 frame.  i have to go out to the shed of no return to take some pics good thing is i got a new camera so the picks wont be blurry just hope the dog dont eat this one.

Offline albertinhouston

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2007, 08:38:22 PM »
NP take your time....
  If I were to put that in a xr 100 frame, I may as well attach a swingarm to the rear lower mount, a sub frame to the upper rear mount, the front end will bolt to the top mounts some how and the seat will be on the valve cover.... that bike will weigh 120 1lb....

I wish I had the $ for that. I guy a meet a few years back bought a 2stroke 250(street legal) of some sort and was going to put his gs motor in the that. I'll have to get back with him.  Husqvarna, ktm motors are the weigh to go though.  55 hp from the factory. dr 35ish on a really nice day.